Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Noob needs help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Noob needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
DIYMark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob needs help

Well some of you may know me off the boat forums but soon after thinking that air is easier to find than water i thought why not get started in rc planes!!!

It all started with a trip to Jaycar (like radio shack for you americans) and there i saw for 50 bucks a small model plane that was constructed of expanded polystyrene foam and had 2 props/motors (lowering the rpm of one motor to steer the plane) and to top it off it ran of a lipo that once charged for 20 mins - would yield 10 mins of flight time...I couldnt resist.

So when i got it home, charged it and flew it i was hooked - right from then and there i wanted to get into rc planes.

Soooooooooooooo...here goes a barrage of questions

With planes i understand there are 2 main forms of propultion in terms of electric - brushless and brushed dc, for costs sake im going to be starting with brushed and my "style" of rc planes atm the is in the smallish domain - ie. indoor rc up to 23" wing span.

Having said that i also know that the plane will need a tranmitter and reciver :P and batteries aswell as an esc (to suit the motor type, which in this case is brushed). And from my understanding it would be best to have a 4 channel reciver/transmitter - one for motor, rudder, elevator and arelons, BUT depending on the cost i may fall back to a 3 channel setup which then i was wondering if it would be best to have the motor (obivosly), the rudder and elevator or to swap the elevator for the arelons? im new so i dont have a clue but my technical know how points me in the direction of using the elevator appossed to the arelons (if i had a choice).

and secondly is batteries - are lipo "that much better" that i should forget about nimh or could they still be a consideration?

I will be building my own planes (half the fun of flying) and i will be making my esc becuase im familar with my electronics and the esc is for a brushed motor so it easy to make any way (compared to a sensorless bldc esc :0)

Thanks in advance guys.

PS - and yes thsi is a repost from the q and a section - i didnt get any replys after a couple of days :'(
Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noob needs help

Hi Mark,

How long is your piece of string and how deep are your pockets??

Any of the ARF Trainers or Kits are suitable for electric power and the choices of motor and battteries is extensive. Any of the "name brand" manufacturers have entry level radios that may suit, these include TX, RX, ususally 4 servos, rechargeable batteries and a charger. You need to decide if you are just going to test the waters or if you want a set up you can grow with. Radios have actually come down heaps in value & features/dollar compared to only a few years ago.

I hate to burst your bubble, however being able to fly a pusher park flyer doesn't mean you can fly a trainer. Please visit your local club, join (it is now the time of year when you pay for a full year's membership of club and MAAA to cover insurance et al) and see about hooking up with an instructor who can guide you in your selection of model and equipment. A good SIM really helps to progress.

This hobby is addictive and expensive.

Good Luck,

Colin

Old 05-30-2007, 09:07 PM
DIYMark

yea the expensie is what i feared most. Thats why i thought rc cars are good, but they can cost and slowly "age" from wear and tear, rc boats are good (dont really "wear") but rc planes would be the most fun however they are probally also the most expensive - especially if u crash!

Well progress so far is that ive designed the ESC circuit board (for a brushed motor - not too keen to pursue "special" ics for sensorless bldc) and the esc will contain a BEC so the final dimentions of the board will be 40mm by 50mm. those dimentions are while still using traditional componets apposed to surface mount.

but anyway i think it is a small enough size.

the plane will be of my own desgin with a wing span of around 600mm. feel free to post a link of any other plans that u have in mind - im open to all ideas, but preferably somthing a bit sporty and one that wont need cnc to cut out ribs etc

thanks for your time
Old 05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi Mark,

If you are detrmined to go this way I have some "Pommy plans" for small electrics. One is even in depron (difficult to damage). PM me your address in the "Apple Isle" and I will snail mail what I can dig up.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi Mark,

I have snal mailed the plans to you today. Please find an instructor to assist before flying. You have a strong group of electric flyers there in Tassi if you can believe the magazine articles so assistance should be close at hand.

Good Luck,

Colin
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 PM
DIYMark

thanks and ill seek some assistance