Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Shortymet55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel

What kind of fuel (both %nitro/oil and brand) works well in the RTF Hangar 9 alpha 60. It comes with a Evolution .61 engine. Im going to the hobby shop today to pick up some Nitro. Thanks

Name a few brands, because obviously not every shop has every fuel.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: fuel

I run Powermaster 15/20 in all my engines with great results. Both 2 and 4 stroke. Your engine manual should have a nitro/oil content suggestion in it. That's a good starting point. As far as brands, it's probably who you ask, Ford, Dodge, Chevy.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Shortymet55

I dont have the plane yet, so I cant just look up the % i need. I just asked brands, cuz maybe there are some out there that use bad ingredients and others that use good stuff. THanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
cruzomatic

Oh, I see. Not sure if there are any bad brands out there, not that I've hear anyway. They're all pretty much good ones. Talk with the people at the hobby shop, they'll probably recommend something. As far as content either 10-15% nitro and 18-20% oil should work just fine. A buddy I fly with uses 15/18. I use 15/20. Some use 10%, 15% and even 20% nitro(competition guys/those who want max power). I just like the extra 2% oil. I figured it wouldn't hurt when it comes to keeping everything nice and lubed, cool as well.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Dr1Driver

IMO, Morgan's makes the best, most consistent fuel. They make Omega which is a total synthetic oil mix, and Cool Power, which is a castor-synthetic oil mix. They also make other types, including Sidewinder racing fuel.

Cool Power should be used in ABC/N engines, and Omega can be used in ringed and lapped iron piston (are there any still around?) engines. You can run anything from 5%-15% nitro in your sport engine.

Dr.1
Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Shortymet55

k thanks. Ill see what my LHS has with those contents. Hopefully a good selection. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 AM
cruzomatic

There you go, Dr.1 is an engine guy and he knows his stuff.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Dr1Driver

Thanks for the kind words, cruz. I'm not a "guru", but when you run competition fun fly for several years, and sport and giant scale planes, you learn a lot by listening to the experts and watching the results of your own experimentation. The castor in the oil content lubricates the high temperature ABC/N engines better than straight synthetic.

As for "bad" fuel, I don't think there's any on the market today. If it's bad, word would quickly get around and they wouldn't have any customers. However, certain types of fuel are made for certain applications, and the buyer or LHS clerk should be aware of that.

Dr.1
Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM
cruzomatic

Yes Sir,,,,,

There you go Shorty,,,,,stick with 5-15% nitro,,,you'll be fine.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Shortymet55

Ok, So the Evolution .61 is a ABC engine, so ill make sure there is some castor oil in there too. THanks
Old 05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
felixone

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

IMO, Morgan's makes the best, most consistent fuel. They make Omega which is a total synthetic oil mix, and Cool Power, which is a castor-synthetic oil mix. They also make other types, including Sidewinder racing fuel.

Cool Power should be used in ABC/N engines, and Omega can be used in ringed and lapped iron piston (are there any still around?) engines. You can run anything from 5%-15% nitro in your sport engine.

Dr.1

Ok I admit I am a complete newbie, and fuel is something that has confused me from the moment I started back in this hobby. Every time I think I understand someone says something that contradicts what I had originally though. Until Dr1Driver posted this I thought that Omega (pink fuel) was the Castor/Synthetic blend, and Cool Power (green fuel) was fully synthetic.

The following is a quote from the Morgan Fuel [link=http://www.morganfuel.com/omega_main.htm]website[/link]

Omega Fuel is the number one castor/synthetic blend in the world because of its unique blend of reliability, performance and protection.

If you look at the Cool Power [link=http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_main.htm]website[/link] the banner at the top of the page states "The Original Synthetic"

So now based on Dr1Driver's comment I am again completely lost. Also I wasn't aware that one type of fuel (castor vs. synthetic) works better than another based on engine type. I don't know if it is possible, but I would really like to run just one type of fuel. I am currently using Omega 15% in my trainer (O.S. 40LA). If I were to buy an ABC engine would I need to switch to Cool Power?

Please help me understand all of this fuel madness.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
scratchonly

Omega is the one with castor and is a fine fuel.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Dr1Driver

I stand corrected. I should know, I run the stuff. [:@]

CORRECTION:

Morgan's OMEGA is a CASTOR/SYNTHETIC OIL BLEND.

Morgan's COOL POWER is a STRAIGHT SYNTHETIC OIL.

Sorry, guys.

Dr.1
Old 05-31-2007, 12:30 PM
carrellh

Shorty, if you haven't already picked up your plane, the manual is available for download at:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2600

I like to download and print an extra copy when they're available. If I get glue (or other chemicals) on it I don't care. And I can put it in a 3 ring binder and carry it to the field in case I need info from it.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used S&W 15% nitro 20% blend for several years now, as have all of the club Pattern folks and no one seems to have one complaint.

It all comes down to personal preference and, as someone already said, if it's bad, word will get out and no one will buy it.

Therefore, pick one that meets your needs, try it out. If you like it, use it. If you don't, switch to something else.

DS.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

accidental repost... edited for deletion.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Shortymet55

I read the manual and it says 10-15% Nitro, such as Cool Power and Powermaster, so ill get 10-15% fuel. Something with castor oil in it. Prolly Omega. I think ive seen it there.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Shortymet55

I read that page on Omega Fuels and it says all the blends are 30/70 castor/synthetic, but only 17% oil. Thats for all blends of Nitro (5, 10,15,25,40% nitro) Is this good? I mean does 1% make a difference at all since u all recommended at least 18%?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Shortymet,
I run nothing but Cool Power 15% in all of my glow engines and I've never had a lick of trouble from them. You'll do great with using this fuel.

Ken
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
felixone

Ok, I am glad I am not losing my mind. My confusion over fuel really started the first night I went to my club field. My club has an intro pilot program where they supply the trainers, you supply the fuel. Although I technically had a plane the first time I went out, it wasn't assembled yet. I did however bring my fuel so I could fly. According to our club website they requested 15% fuel (nitro content). Well I arrive at the field with my pink fuel in hand ready to fly. I was promptly told that my fuel was not the "correct" fuel. They then proceeded to pull out a gallon of the green stuff (Cool Power). Not really understanding why mine was wrong as it was 15% nitro like they suggested I asked one of the member what the difference between the pink and green fuel was. He wrongly told me that "pink" fuel is 10% and "green" fuel is 15%. As I said I didn't know any better so I accepted his response as gospel until I repeated the information a couple days later to a friend who also flies. He corrected me, and pointed me to the Morgan Fuel website. I spent a lot of time reading every word on that site, but was still confused. I finally just resigned myself to trust the guy at my LHS since he sold me everything together, so he knew exactly which engine I had. I am glad to know that my trust was well placed.

I must admit though, I am still a bit confused about what the best application for synthetic fuel is. I see a lot of our Heli pilots using Cool Power, as well as some of the plane guys. Does synthetic work better for 4 stroke engines, as well as ringed? Is there really much of a difference? Could I safely run Omega on all engines I might buy, including ringed and 4 stroke? I did take a look at several of the engines I have looked at buying(all 2 stroke), and only 1 or 2 of them are ringed so for now I can continue to run what already use, but I would love to understand this more. So many of the things you buy in this hobby are just expensive enough that I would hate to ruin them because I didn't know any better, and as my story from above shows my club isn't always a reliable source of information.

I don't remember who said it but one of the first comments I read on RCU went something like this: If you ask 10 guys at the field their opinion on something you will leave with 12 answers. I guess that applies to fuel as well.

Thanks again to everyone here who helps us newbies.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Shortymet55

Well, I just got back from the Hobby Shop. They only had 2 fuels. First was Traxxas Top Fuel, which I use for my trucks, and Cool Power 15%.

So i just got the Cool Power 15%.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:02 PM
opjose

The Evolution engine you have runs just fine on Cool Power 10%

There is no need to spend any more for higher nitro.

Just remember that you may need to remove the limiters ( this no matter what type of fuel you use ) on the Evolution engine to get it properly tuned.

The limiters are those little blue aluminum collars.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Omega well tolerate a lean run better than Coolpower. It has a higher flash rate than straight synthetics. Us newbies will and do run our engines lean , till we get the hang of tuning. A castor blend just might save a newbies engine .
I started out running CoolPower, works great, I just like the smell of a little castor and CoolPower gives me a rash. lol.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

If you want your fuel/exhaust to smell purdy you can try this stuff - Parma Speed Scent. A guy at my field recommended using this stuff at half strength as he had a friend who's engine was gummed up by it. Half strength still gives your fuel scent. Cotton candy stuff smells pretty good.

somegeek
Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I come home smelling like that and my wife is going to get suspicious . If I come home smelling like nitro and bug spray and a 6 pack under my arm , I`m good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.