Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Glow engine tuning help.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Glow engine tuning help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 PM
763ersma27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow engine tuning help.

Hey guys i just bought a older engine online, its a few years old im sure..

Its a OS 60, and on the site it says
OS MAX FP
Muffler says E-4010

I want to know what a good place is to set the carb screw, how man turnes from closes.. I ran the egnine at the setting i recived the engine, it seems to run ok, sounds powerfull, but smells like its getting really hot. i dont have a temp gun yet, but plan on getting one soon.. The engine says very hot for a while unable to touch.. Where would a good safe setting be to run cooler, but enough power to climb out and fly.Thanks for all the help

Below is some pics of the engine and airplane..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37614.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	695078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18855.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	695079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87074.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	695080  
Old 05-31-2007, 06:46 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Glow engine tuning help.

Here's my suggestion for setting the high speed needle, which is where you start.

The following method is designed for sport flying where one wants reliable engine performance (minimum deadsticks) and long engine life (part of which comes from avoiding lean runs).

I’ll start off with a reminder that all needle adjustments should be done from behind the engine and that the plane should be firmly anchored or held. Never attempt to adjust the needle while holding the plane in the air. A small engine blip or wind gust could result in fingers in the prop.

Begin by gradually leaning the engine until you find the peak RPM. Once you find this, turn it several clicks rich. Once you’ve found this slightly rich setting, with a firm two handed grip on the plane, point the nose straight up. While you are doing this, remember to keep the propeller arc out of anyone’s face. When you raise the plane’s nose, one of three things will happen to the engine RPMs.

If the engine speeds up slightly and holds that speed for 10 to 15 seconds, pat yourself on the back (after you put the plane down), you’ve got the needle set pretty well.

If the engine slows down, or does not speed up a bit, it’s too lean. Lower it immediately, turn it a few clicks richer and try again.

If the engine speeds up significantly, it could probably be a bit leaner. Put it back down, set it a bit richer and try again.

That’s it, no magic…
Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT waste your money on a temp gun. With the prop wash over the head you will never get a relaible reading anyway.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Big feet

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Do NOT waste your money on a temp gun. With the prop wash over the head you will never get a relaible reading anyway.
I second that, 17 years flying and never used one. I don't even know any plane guys that do.

Follow the advice given above by Piper_chuck to tune your engine, it is all done by listening to the sound and hence RPMs.

Once you get the feel for this it is quick and accurate. Every engine will need adjusted ever so slightly each day you go flying. These little engines are effected by changes in the air temp and humidity. Also, if you change fuel brand/mix or buy new fresh fuel after running on old stuff, you will need to check mixture.

Car guys use heat guns, but they don't have big windmills on the car.

happy flying
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Actually bigfeet, I have been a car guy for 20+ years and nitro engines for 15 of that, you just don't
need a temp gun to adjust a nitro motor. the same rules apply to cars and airplanes.
Start Rich and work your way lean you can pinch or lift the nose, some of the guys I know
go only by sound. but how it responds is the key to getting it right.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Trollmaster

I aggree with this plus there are no specs for glow engine temps anyways. Pointing that thing at an engine will make you look like an idiot.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, just lean it out til you burn a hole in the piston and then richen it about 4 clicks. Replace the piston and go fly. Don't forget to cuss at it a lot. That always helps.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Yep, just lean it out til you burn a hole in the piston and then richen it about 4 clicks. Replace the piston and go fly. Don't forget to cuss at it a lot. That always helps.
If it's an ABC, you'll usually need a liner too.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Big feet

ORIGINAL: overbored77

Actually bigfeet, I have been a car guy for 20+ years and nitro engines for 15 of that, you just don't
need a temp gun to adjust a nitro motor. the same rules apply to cars and airplanes.
Start Rich and work your way lean you can pinch or lift the nose, some of the guys I know
go only by sound. but how it responds is the key to getting it right.
Sorry overbored, I didn't mean that all car guys use heat guns.

Those generalisations always get me in trouble, well, when I say always, I mean........