Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Homemade

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Homemade

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:47 AM
DIYMark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade

While contemplating my construction plans for my rc plane i thought of something (look out )...

...If im making my own plane, and my own esc with bec, why not make the tranmitter and reciever?...

so when i had electronics at school today (college) i looked for some fm/am tranmitters and recievers in some wierd and wacky attempt at a home brew rc system, them i came across something worth while. The plans, construction notes and schematics to make your own rc system - with up to eight channels!!!!!

So i read through and thought, man this is good, but soon later i realised that the notes i had were from a series of 3 (if not 4) notes. You see i had the first 2 parts plus another schematic...the intro and tranmitter construction notes, i was missing the 3rd part (or even 4th) about the receiver hence the 2nd part mentioned "Next month: the receiver"!!! and it turns out that the other schematic (lose one i found) was for the receiver....

So now being on holydays its gonna be a while before i get back to school to search the cabnet for the other part of the series (if its there) which i think it maybe seeing as there was a schematic for the reciver?!?!

So i was wondering...has anyone else thought/done this (made a rc system) and if so does anyone know of any plans i could use? becuase id really like it if i could make more of my rc plane than just the esc and plane (it'll be so much more rewarding to be able to fly a plane wiht MY rc system [8D]).

PS - the notes i found were from "Everyday Electronics - EE remote control system" dated back to 1979 and the lose shematic for a "Remote control receiver" was dated back to 1989 and had Electronics Australai written on it.

Any help, plans or even mentioning you know what im talking about regaurding this would be much appreciated!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Homemade

I hope you don't think any club will let you fly with it at their field. There are also probably a few laws against it even in your country if you don't have the equivalent of of our Ham radio license.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:36 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

You can buy radio systems today that are inexpensive and reliable... it's not worth the cost or the effort to build your own. Years ago, modellers built their own radios from kits or schematics because there were no inexpensive, mass-produced systems, but now they are plentiful. As Bruce said... no club will want you flying your home-brew TX at their field... and that will be a big problem if you are really interested in RC planes.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Radio systems are light years ahead of what we had in 1979 or even 1989 per your schematics. Those will not operate as well as modern equipment without a doubt. Might be a fun project, but I'd put a new comercially manufactured system in my plane for flying.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Kaos Rulz

Schematics going back that far are probably wideband. Today you must use narrowband equipment. If you plan on undertaking this endeavor, calculate component ratings for the tank circuits to provide narrowband RF output on the Tx and narrowband input for the Rx.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
DIYMark

yea i was thinking of that (ie old and outdated which our 150 dollar equptment would out perform)

ne way just a thought - thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

(id design my tx if i were to make it for a band that isnt used and i would be flying on my own land - also those plans were from a record breaking design! the guy flew his glider for 8 ish hours using this equiptment - he broke the old record by 1.5 hours; but now theres probally a new record)
Old 06-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Gary L.

I remember back in the late 70's someone had a kit to do that ( Kraft I think ) but never knew anyone try it..
Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Wild Foamy

could be a fun project, try and make your own robot and then send us a vid
Old 06-02-2007, 05:48 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Gary L.

I remember back in the late 70's someone had a kit to do that ( Kraft I think ) but never knew anyone try it..
Are you thinking of the Heathkit set? I built one of their color TV's back in the 70's.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Gary L.

Are you thinking of the Heathkit set? I built one of their color TV's back in the 70's.
My dad and I built one too! A friend of my Dad's asked him to build another one for him, and my dad and both answered with a resounding NO!!!!! It's a LOT of work!!!!

We both built several of the other Heath Kits as well, but never did the RC unit though. I really enjoy the memory of my dad and I working on those kits together. It was great father-son time!!!

Ken