Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Spinners

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spinners

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spinners

You certainly can't blame the spinner for that one.[:'(]
Old 06-05-2007, 03:43 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...id=19&layout=3

Thread-locker 222 would probably be a good choice. It's categorized as a "low strength" thread-locker.
Yeah thanks.

I've been remiss about trying the "blue" formula ( although I use it on practically everything else ) as so many people here seem to advise against putting anything on the prop nut or bolts...

I'll give that a shot.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Bill Lowen

true. He is not a member of the club either, and he brings out like 5 or 6 airplanes. He does all of his engine tuning at the field which I guess is no big deal, except he does his at a flying station where every one is trying to fly. I don't have to tell you how annoying a glow engine spinning at full power is when you are trying to fly next to him. He has been told countless times that he needs to move over to the test area. He moves for a while but pretty soon he will be right back at it. The problem is while we are a sanctioned AMA club, we are on state land and I don't think we have the right to tell anyone they can't fly at our field. We have quite a few people who come fly there and they don't pay any dues and they think they don't have to abide by our club rules. It makes me mad because I pay my dues and it does not make me mad because of that, but because it takes money to keep our flying site looking nice and the runways and taxiways mowed so we have a nice place to fly. Plus we have a fund for our swap meets and club events. Some people don't realize the club is more that just a place to fly. I have brought it up in meetings and am told there is nothing we can do about it since we are on state land. I mean if somebody wanted to have a picnic on one of our runways while we were flying, they could and there is nothing we could do. a bit extreme I know as it would not be very smart for the picnic goers but you get my drift. does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I am sure we are not the only AMA sanctioned club flying on state ground.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 PM
carrellh

I have a nylon/plastic spinner on my 4*60 with Magnum 91 four stroke
My brother has one on a GP Super Sportster with the same engine
We always use an electric starter and have had no problems

I see a fair number of four strokes with them.

I like aluminum spinners, and have a couple, but I'll use whatever is available. I like the Higley lock nut and acorn nut setup for models that do not need a spinner. My brother mostly uses just the nuts that come with the engine;and no spinner.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:06 PM
carrellh

Bill, any chance the state will help?

I know of one club that uses city property. They're working on a contract with the city that would give them the ability to require club membership for access to the field. I don't know if that will happen but at least they're trying to make it where people using the field will have to follow some basic rules.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Bill Lowen

I think that might be worth checking into.. I will let you know how it turns out..
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 AM
linkadrip

Hello Spinner people HA HA. I have a trainer i have been flying that has a saito .72 GK on it. I have been flying it with a cracked spinner for a time now no problems but thought it would be best to replace it with a new one just cause it didnt look nice and is dangerous. So i bought another one. Well Both spinners the cracked one and new one were plastic. The new one was a dubro and had nuts on the back for tightning the cone onto the back plate had to do some modifying to get it to fit. anyhow after i did get it to fit nicely and tightned it down and everything looked good. I started the engine and ran it no problems, then ran the engine up and the spinner shattered WOW what a thrill that was. Engine died of course, man i was not very happy. 2 inch spinner down the drain 5 bucks gone. But i did purchase a great planes 3 inch spinner for my extra 330L. so i decided to use it on the superstar 60 looks a bit funny but appears to work good ran it up and it didnt shatter. But since this has happened i really want to use an aluminum spinners they look nice and are durable and the saito is a 4 stroke and from what i have read about in the post hear well enough said.
But my problem is finding an aluminum spinner that will work on this engine. I really dont like the idea of the spinner nut i guess you would call it holding the prop on and thats it. the engine as most know already has two nuts that lock together to hold the prop on. From what i can see on the aluminum spinners is the one nut holding the prop on against the backplate. Hmmm What to do for now i will try a few flights with my big nasty 3 inch spinner on the plane. But would like to know how to put an aluminum spinner on this engine and what type i should get. looking for any help i can get. the extra 330L now that one is a whole other story on getting a spinner to fit it. 20X10 wood prop on it and a big allen bolt holds the prop on and three smaller bolts. Cheap Chinese GAs engine but it works. would look nice with a big chrome spinner on it if i ever can figure it out. Hard to belive that something as simple as a cone on the front of a plane would be so difficult to get right.
I seen in the web site that was posted here in the cutting review on spinners was simular to my gasser. So maybe it wont be to hard to figure out how to mount the spinner for the League Extra 330L.

The superstar doesnt have the nice little White spinner anymore it has a big nasy red 3 inch spinner on it now YUK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71546.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	729016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34457.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	729017