Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servo Chatter on Field Test

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servo Chatter on Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:29 PM
AIRDEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Chatter on Field Test

Just got a PT-40 Trainer for my son and it was all ready to go.

Did the ground check and as soon as you get about 25 feet away the servoes start to twitch. Gets worse at a farther distance.

Batteries are fine, Disconnected each servo one at a time, bypassed the switch, took the reciever and antenae out of the fuse with all still hooked up and no change. If I grab the antennae with my hand it stops immediately. Also stops as soon as you pull out the antennae on the transmitter.

Any additional thoughts or do I have a bad reciever/transmitter.

Thanks,

Del
Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Chatter on Field Test

Check the antenna connection inside the transmiiter and whatever you do, don't fly.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

P-40 is 100% correct, DO NOT FLY WITH THIS RADIO until you have sent it off for service. There is definitely something wrong with the transmission circuit in the radio. Send it in and have it serviced.

Ken
Old 06-02-2007, 04:09 PM
AIRDEL

Checked the Antennae conn. no luck.

Guess I'll have to send it in.

I know of Radio South, but is there anyone closer to Wisconsin?

Thanks, Del
Old 06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a new radio?? If so send it to the manufacture's service center. It should be under warranty.

Don
Old 06-02-2007, 06:17 PM
bruce88123

What brand is it?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:50 PM
AIRDEL

It is a Futaba Skyport 6A
Old 06-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you properly deployed the receiver antenna. I have seen where a newbe left it coiled up in the plane next to the receiver. If so, it needs to be properly routed.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 AM
mteal

I have a quick side question on this same topic. Not trying to hijack, just trying to get more info. How far is an acceptable distance for the twitching? I have one that starts at about 120 ft.

Matt
Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
bruce88123

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1131517
Check here for the Futaba service center, especially if you think it may be under warranty. They're in Illinois
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 AM
opjose

You could have another local emitter.

WiFi frequently causes my planes to go nuts, when I turn them on in my house. ( Spread Spectrum is not subject to all of this... )

Usually the RX locks on to your TX if the signal is of sufficient strength.

As others have pointed out it does sound as if the TX is not putting out a strong signal, but you should also double check that you are not getting interference of some sort...

Old 06-03-2007, 12:40 PM
AIRDEL

Opjose,

I noticed it at the fly field and It was the same at home. They field is only a Mile from my house, That may be close enought for both. I should be getting another reciever this evening and then I can be sure it is the RX or TX. Either way they will most likely get sent to Futaba service Monday.

Thanks,

Del
Old 06-03-2007, 02:23 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

In the UK [ 35 mhz ] Futabas need ONE section of the aerial up for a realistic ground range check.

Am not sure about the US.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Gary L.

I am in no way an expert, but, I would think the ant. would need to be up at 20ft.
I do know something about CB radio's, and would think the Futaba Tx would fall in line here, on CB's you have to set the S/W/R's for the CB to transmet the best, but like I said , I'm new here and dont know...
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Gary L.

I am in no way an expert, but, I would think the ant. would need to be up at 20ft.
I do know something about CB radio's, and would think the Futaba Tx would fall in line here, on CB's you have to set the S/W/R's for the CB to transmet the best, but like I said , I'm new here and dont know...
Gary, the point here is to have a greatly reduced signal as compared to the regular signal. The idea is to simulate the signal strength at maximum range. During these tests SWR is not a concern. Normally with the antenna down there should be no problem operating the system at distances of up to 100 feet. On some units it helps to extend the lower section and in fact the antenna is totally disconnected if this is not done on some units.

The SWR does come into play in that you don't want to transmit very long like this because it can cause overheating of the final amplifier portion of the TX.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did an un-intentional range check last week with my Futaba 9C super. I had been flying a few minutes, way out and back a couple times when I noticed I only had one section of my antenna up. I about crashed fumbling around in a panic getting the full antenna up. Not from loss of signal, but loss of pilot. My bird has a 60" span and it was far enough out at times to have trouble determining orentation, way to far out. The radio was kicking along with out a hit. Needless to say, that was the end of my flying that day. I was still keyed up when I left the field.

Range check with as little antenna showing as possible.

Don

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Gary L.

Gary, the point here is to have a greatly reduced signal as compared to the regular signal. The idea is to simulate the signal strength at maximum range. During these tests SWR is not a concern. Normally with the antenna down there should be no problem operating the system at distances of up to 100 feet. On some units it helps to extend the lower section and in fact the antenna is totally disconnected if this is not done on some units.

The SWR does come into play in that you don't want to transmit very long like this because it can cause overheating of the final amplifier portion of the TX.
undefined