Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Park Flyers: Which is best for the beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Park Flyers: Which is best for the beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Red Baron Juststarting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Flyers: Which is best for the beginner?

I'm looking for a fairly realistic looking (Piper Cub, military, etc.) but inexpensive, RFT park flyer - one that I can easily fly in parks and other confined spaces. I'm relatively new to RC, but have a Futaba 6 Channel Radio - (channel 39) so all I need is a plane equipped with servos, receiver, etc. Any recommendation for such a plane (and why) in the approximate range of $50-125 or so? Thanks.

Bill
Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Park Flyers: Which is best for the beginner?

Your price range clearly limits you. And based on the criteria you have layed out there is only one plane I would recomend for you. The Megatech Freedom Flyer. The reason I am pointing you towards this plane is that it is the only one I have found in your price range that has trainer cord (buddy box) capabilities. The plane has civil aircraft looks and a decent park flyer radio system. Here is a link with more information.
http://www.megatech.com/product_deta...ft.php?ID=9941
Old 06-04-2007, 08:04 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Normally I would agree with Mr67, in this case however....I couldnt recommend anything that Megacrap makes....once you have a radio system ie servos, batteries, you'll find that planes are relatively cheap, I went with the GWS pico stick,,not the slow stick..when I started back in the hobby....I think they have some form of a cub but I'm not sure..I flew it at the local schoolyard off the blacktop...I got a lecky plane from Polkshobbies that was $125 called a focus, came ARF with servos, brushless,lipo and charger for $125,,havent flown it yet but I suspect it will need some room to play in........a good buy though...Rog
Old 06-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Normally I would agree with Mr67, in this case however....I couldnt recommend anything that Megacrap makes....once you have a radio system ie servos, batteries, you'll find that planes are relatively cheap, I went with the GWS pico stick,,not the slow stick..when I started back in the hobby....I think they have some form of a cub but I'm not sure..I flew it at the local schoolyard off the blacktop...I got a lecky plane from Polkshobbies that was $125 called a focus, came ARF with servos, brushless,lipo and charger for $125,,havent flown it yet but I suspect it will need some room to play in........a good buy though...Rog
Hi Rog, My recomendation was based on the criteria he layed out yet modified to give him some chance at success assuming this will be a first plane for Red Baron Juststarting. I have flown the Freedom Flyer and used the buddy cord system getting my Dad and uncle started (Yes,two of these planes). I had no problems with either plane in fairly windy conditions as well. They advertise that it will take off from ground, I think it would be extroidinarilly difficult with the NON-steerable nose wheel and elected to hand launch them.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I am just one of those on the other side of the line then....My dad bought me a freedom flyer I think it was and two minutes into the flight the wing cracked in half and down it went...that is my experience with it...then he bought me some kind of heli that charged on the platform and needed $20 worth of batteries to start it..so I never bothered with it....and I didnt coin the phrase "megacrap" I read it here...,,but normally I agree with Mr67..Rog
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
1958airman

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h..._super_cub.htm This is what I started with with a 150 flights on her still going good great starter plane[8D]
Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I normally recommend the Hobbyzone Super Cub RTF or the Parkzone Slo-V RTF aircraft to first time pilots who'd rather throw an electric plane around at the park rather than visiting a flying club and working with a flight instructor on a glow trainer.

Working with a flight instructor at the club is, in my opinion, the better of the two ways to go. Not everyone wants to jump into the hobby this way, however, and it is possible to teach yourself to fly with a good electric RTF and a Visa gold card to buy all of the replacement wings, tail assemblies, and propellers that you will likely need in the future.

Your case is a little different, however, since you already have a Futaba radio system. You also want something that looks at least a little bit scale, so the Slo-V may not appeal to you despite its outstanding flying characteristics.

A GWS airplane might fit the bill nicely for you. While some assembly is required, many novice pilots have no trouble building a GWS aircraft. The "Pico" sized airplanes like the Pico Stick, Pico Tiger Moth, and Pico J-3 Cub are too delicate to be flown outdoors in wind conditions that are anything stronger than "completely calm." They're best left for indoor flying.

The GWS "Big" Tiger Moth (Tiger Moth 400) retains virtually all of the gentle flying characteristics that the smaller Pico Moth has. It comes with a 400-sized brushed motor and can be build with ailerons, so it will be faster, more manuverable, and much better and flying outdoors in mild breezes.

I'd say putting one of these ARFs together with an inexpensive speed controller, a park flyer receiver, and 3 micro servos should fit the bill for what you're looking for quite nicely.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCK2&P=7

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:38 AM
cotton11

I'll second the suggestion for the Tiger Moth 400. When you master her gentle flying habits, upgrade to brushless for a real fun flying plane.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
windshadow

ORIGINAL: Red Baron Juststarting

I'm looking for a fairly realistic looking (Piper Cub, military, etc.) but inexpensive, RFT park flyer - one that I can easily fly in parks and other confined spaces. I'm relatively new to RC, but have a Futaba 6 Channel Radio - (channel 39) so all I need is a plane equipped with servos, receiver, etc. Any recommendation for such a plane (and why) in the approximate range of $50-125 or so? Thanks.

Bill
I second the super cub. parts are easy to replace, a roll of packing tape and you are ready to go. At are club there are many that have found this plane to be a good starter, my self being one. I have flown this plane in 15 to 20 mile winds and inverted. Now that being said it was after about 70 flights on that plane and a few wings and nose cowlings. a pilot at a club can help you get started with this plane it is just not as easy as being on a buddy cord. slow sticks are great if you have no wind! I have found out you can not belive everything you read in these forums! you do get some good ideals but you have to take it with a grain of salt. I have been flying since feb of this year I have logged over 100 flights on the supper cub and over 110 flights on my ultra stick e25 and 7 flights on my new j3 eflite cub with the e25 motor. I am now putting together a pulse 40xt with the e46 motor I should have it in the air next week if all goes well. Crashing is just part of flying it happens to everyone, so get the super cub and have fun its a great 1st plane.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM
windshadow

PS get about a doven props when you start out you will need them.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
surjer

i have the super cub and with no experience at all I made a sucessfull maiden flight. Well, I ripped up the landing gear but hey thats all! lol

If you do fly in a grass field just take the landing gear off of it. The plan will do soo much better landing in the grass with no gear at all.. (BELEIVE ME) I have received this advice from plenty of people...