Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hinge Gap Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hinge Gap Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 AM
felixone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinge Gap Question

Ok some of you may have read my thread “Newbie Question”. In there I discussed how to increase the throw of the rudder, and ailerons. Well last night while cleaning my plane I noticed something. The hinge gaps for the ailerons are significantly larger than those on my elevator (which has really good authority).

Before I modify the travel for the ailerons I wanted to test sealing the hinge gap. I have read here before that scotch tape is good for this, but I don’t think that it would be a good long term solution. I have also read that you can use thin strips of monokote, but this was done as the wing was being covered. Since my plane is an ARF, I can’t use this approach without pulling the covering off.

So my question to all of you, what do you use to seal your hinge gaps on ARF planes?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hinge Gap Question

ORIGINAL: felixone

I have also read that you can use thin strips of monokote, but this was done as the wing was being covered. Since my plane is an ARF, I can’t use this approach without pulling the covering off.

Huh?

Of course you can... you iron the strip onto the existing covering....
Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Strips of monokote will work fine. Just be careful when heating with the iron, and use as low a heat setting as you can to activate the glue. Many ARFs are covered with much lower heat coverings, and the heat required for monokote can cause problems.

Brad
Old 06-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On ARFs I use Monocoat clear covering to seal the gaps, work well.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, just fold a strip of covering into a "V" shape and push it down into the gap. You don't need to seal it ALL the way down into the "V". Just make sure you get the top edges and as far as you can easily go down into the "V".

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18016.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	697338  
Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
jetmech05

You don't have to worry about gap too much on a trainer aircraft. Gap becomes an issue on faster type aircraft where the airflow through the gap creates flutter that can destroy an airframe in seconds. If you have had your aircraft at max speed, then the gap isn't an issue.
However if you're wanting to seal the gap for cosmetic reasons the above explations are on the money.
Be careful you get the edges sealed down well, a gap seal coming loose could cause enough drag on one wing to sprial you in or bind a control surface.
If it aint broke don't fix it
Good Luck
Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In this case, sealing the gap is the proper thing to do.

He said

Ok some of you may have read my thread “Newbie Question”. In there I discussed how to increase the throw of the rudder, and ailerons.
So obviously he's looking to increase aileron authority

Then he said

The hinge gaps for the ailerons are significantly larger than those on my elevator (which has really good authority).
So there's a great clue that he has large gaps on the ailerons

Before I modify the travel for the ailerons I wanted to test sealing the hinge gap.
Yup, that's the proper first thing to do under the circumstances.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
felixone

Thanks everyone for the help. I will be trying the tape test tomorrow weather permitting. Hopefully it will help. There is definitely a big difference with the aileron hinge gaps. They are large enough to slide a credit card through. The elevator on the other hand I can barely get a piece of paper between. As far as the temp goes, I will be careful...The plane is supposedly covered with Monokote though (Avistar) so hopefully I don't mess anything. If the tape trick works I guess I will finally have the excuse I need to get the sealing iron and heat gun I have needed to get.

Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Kaos Rulz

If the tape trick works I guess I will finally have the excuse I need to get the sealing iron and heat gun I have needed to get.

That's what I like to see -- a man with a plan, err rational, ahhm justification, or maybe logic. Yep, you guessed it - I do it all the time. Got some pretty neat stuff though.