Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

break in

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

break in

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Shortymet55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in

How do you break in an engine that doesnt say anything in the manual? I have the evolution .61 (comes on a Alpha 60) Niether the plane nor engine manual says how to, but both say how to tune. So, I dont know what to do. I have started it up, but i only taxied slow so I wouldnt hurt the engine.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: break in

They advertize that these engines are broke in at the factory so a begginner can take it out and fly. HOWEVER, Use the instructions for tuning as a guide and ensure you have a reasonably rich mixture (visible smoke at wide open throttle (WOT) and a nice gooey resedue) You can normally attain this by running the engine at WOT while the plane is restrained slowly turning the needle valve in (clockwise) a click or two at a time with at least 15 second pauses between clicks so the engine can react to the change. As you do this you will notice that the engine will begin to run faster. When you reach peak RPM turn the needle valve out (counter clockwise) about 2-4 clicks. Check throttle response. Bring the engine down to idle (adjusted so the plane will not pull forward in short cut grass) let it idle for about 20 seconds. Then advance the throttle to full (Do not jam it to full but reasonably advance the throttle, this should take about 2 seconds) and see if the engine stutters stumbles or stalls.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Yeah, I'm with Stang. I have an Evolution .46 and in my manual it states the engine was broken in at the factory and is ready to fly. Nevertheless, I ran a couple of tanks through it before I took it up for its maiden. It actually had a decent reliable idle out of the box throughout the two tanks on the ground. Kind of like you, I taxied the plane around in my front street running it though its RPM range.

As in the post before, just make sure you lean it out for max RPM, then richen it a couple of clicks back (do you have a tach) and you'll be fine.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

They advertise the engines as "pre broken in", but in actuality it's probably more like they were pre-ran at the factory. Just take it easy on the engine for the first few tanks of fuel and you should be fine. Run it rich and everything should be ok.

Ken
Old 06-05-2007, 12:43 PM
opjose

With the limiters in place it appears that you cannot overly lean the engine... though you don't always get full power from it as well.

I've flown these engines out of the box purposely rich, w/o problems.

After a half dozen flights or so I then start tunining them a bit.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Shortymet55

ok, thanks everyone. I cant wait to take the plane out. I have to wait a day for the epoxy for the wing to dry. Its only where you glue the dowels into the wing, so it will attach to the plane and you can bolt it down. I already have it charged up. Ill prabably go saturday, cuz htats when my instructor is there. THanks