Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flatouts?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flatouts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Black9label13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flatouts?

Hey, new to this site. i was down at my lhs looking for arf 4 ch planes that were less than 150$ and the guy showed me the flatouts cub. i liked it but i was wondering if there were any disadvanteges to a profile plane. it will be my second plane and im leaning toward the high wing planes. but i would like to start learning aelerons too. would the cub be capable of slow rolls? and acrobatics at all? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Flatouts?

That $25 J3 Cub Flatout will require 3 micro servos, an electronic speed controller (ESC), a micro receiver, and a LiPo battery with compatible LiPo charger to get airborne. This assumes you have a suitable 72Mhz or 2.4Ghz hobby-quality radio already.

The electronics for flat foamy (Flatout-type) aircraft aren't cheap. The good news is they are reusable if you pile in the airplane, you simply move the electronics to another $25 airframe once your foamy is no longer repairable. You can usually crash a flat foamy a number of times before repairing it is no longer practical.

The particular model that you're looking at by Great Planes is designed specifically for indoor flying. The included 180-sized, brushed motor won't provide enough power to counter anything above the slightest of breezes; you'll need almost perfectly calm conditions to fly it outside.

Also, if you're planning on practicing touch-and-goes with this model, you're going to be disappointed. The landing gear provided are for "static display purposes only" and the plane is not flown with the landing attached.

If you're looking for a nice slow-flying indoor electric, this could be a fun choice. You'll need to budget $150 to $200 for all of the electronics you'll need to actually operate the J3 Flatout, probably closer to $250 if you need to purchase a full radio system and not just a flight pack.

Edit: Oops, forgot the aerobatics question. This particular design uses an undercambered airfoil design, which is great for slow indoor flight. It will make it difficult to do rolls with this plane and the plane will be all but impossible for a new pilot to fly inverted given the included power system.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Black9label13

Okay nevermind on the cub then, im looking for a good foamy that can be used outdoors but is a good aerobatic trainer too.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
AIRDEL

Aerobatic and trainer are seperate terms. A aerobatic trainer amounts to a second plane. IMHO

My opinion is to get a trainer and instructor.

Just my 2 cents.

Del
Old 06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
bigedmustafa

I think this might fit the bill for what you're looking for:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNHS0**&P=ML]Hobbico Flyzone Cessna 182 RTF[/link]

It's a little faster than the Hobbyzone Super Cub or the Parkzone Slo-V that I normally recommend for beginning pilots who want to learn on their own. The radio that comes with it does have a training jack on the back so it can be buddy boxed for flight training.

The video link on the page above will explain more of the features.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 AM
jetmech05

why a foamie?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:22 AM
bigedmustafa

Foamies are easier for "uninitiated freshman pilots" to glue back together than balsa-and-covering airframes.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black, not sure of the $ you want to spend...I got a foamie form Polk Hobbies dot com and it is a focus 400,,came ARF,ESC, servos,brushless outrunner, lipo and charger for $125,, the electrics are that much alone so the plane and servos were almost free...Rog
Oh and you wont find much good news about flatouts anyway, over in the parkflyer section, if you want to go cheaper go GWS..