Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

When is a Newbie Not a not a Newbie

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

When is a Newbie Not a not a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When is a Newbie Not a not a Newbie

Is it flying skill that makes a newbie not a newbie? or does it take an instructor to say you are part of the fold ?
Or? Are we all Newbies, playing at differet levels ?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Mr67Stang

Default RE: When is a Newbie Not a not a Newbie

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Is it flying skill that makes a newbie not a newbie? or does it take an instructor to say you are part of the fold ?
Or? Are we all Newbies, playing at differet levels ?
If anyone says they know it all... well you never stop learning in this hobby. we are all new at some level... For example; I will willingly take any trainer or sportplane up without fear of my skills. I am a Newbie in the arena of gasoline power and am starting to become more comfortable with it now in my 1/4 scale Cap 232 w/ an Evolution 35GT. So I would say your last statement is correct for me. We are all Newbies in our own level.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Insanemoondoggie

LOL! I hear ya! Asked the gang about going to Gas. They replied, How would you feel if it cost you $1500.00 instead of $450.00? to smuck an airplane.
H`mmm I wonder how they know I`m so good at smucking ? Most of them no longer run under the shelter when I fly , well , maybe one or two ,
Come to think about it. I fell like running under the shelter when I fly!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 PM
LANNYBOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your not a newbie anymore when you show a veteran flyer a thing or two.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:00 PM
LANNYBOB

actually your not a newbie anymore when your can takeoff and land well, and tune your engines on your own. you must also have 2 planes in your hangar and working on your third. those are the rules.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this mean I should have passed on my beanie with the propeller on it a couple of years ago?

[&:]
Old 06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Live Wire

Newbie no learning stage yes I do not believe there is such a thing as a newbie. It is some one wanting to learn let them learn and help them in any way you can.
Larry K
Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Newbie here,

I am still a newbie; prolly always will be. I have been through glow and moved to gas. I like 3D .... OK, .....I love 3D. I can tune either type of motor, and fly them. I have built 2 simple kits and several ARFs. I have been known to teach 'veteran' flyers a thing or two, but I always learn something more valuable in return. I fly every day before, (sometimes during), and after work if the wind allows. I have made just about every stupid and costly mistake you can make in this hobby, some of them twice.....and others even more.

I hate club politics, *****ing, whining and rule making...I just like to fly. I am a member of several clubs and have attended only one meeting and that was an accident. (They had the meeting at the field while I was flying; how rude). I choose to fly with people who are better at my style of flying than I am. (That seems like the only sure way to improve). I have no time for people who simply want to talk about flying or fret about not flying nor complain about how others fly differently than they do, (slow repetitive circles).

I have been reading and studying products, techniques and industry trends to see what might catch my interest. I have worked with designers, beta testers, reviewers, marketers and manufacturers in the model plane industry for my own knowledge and enjoyment. I have gotten good advice from some of the best flyers in the world and seen some of the most amazing flying ever done.

After all this, I am still a newbie, ready and willing to learn from ANYONE who may help me fly better and perhaps enjoy this fine hobby even more than I already do.

I hope you will never stop being a newbie. The alternatives are 'know-it-all', 'grumpy old man', 'too good for everyone else', 'complainer', 'wanna be', and worst of all, 'new rule come-up-wither guy', also known as, 'ban-everything guy'.

I have found a home in this hobby by being a perpetual newbie. I doubt that will ever change...and I only soloed like 20 months ago.

GO NEWBIES!!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 PM
LANNYBOB

you aint no newbie agexpert your on your way to become a leader for others to follow. you take it seriously.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Alex7403

Im a Newbie for about 20 years (with big brakes), and ill stay newbie for Lonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg time!

1) in this hobby its not a shame to be a newbie unlike other hobbies like ski

2) newbies learn new stuff, and in this hobby only the sky is the limit...

3)when you know it all, its not interesting any more.

4) when I think I know it all, then I crush somehow
Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
bruce88123

I'm definitely not a newbie, been doing this too long. But I am also definitely still a learner and hope THAT never stops. It'll get boring if I stop learning.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 PM
mbilar1

1. As long as you have a question you don't have the answer to that someone else might have.

2. This beginners forum seems to be the most-read forum, even if your topic might be more appropriate in another forum (i.e. How do I clean and restore an old engine?) could or should be in the engines forum.

(Just my 2ΒΆ, and I have already gotten INVALUABLE info, in fact most everything I know, from reading the beginners forum.)
Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Once you can fly on your own with confidence and safety, you are no longer a Newby. You can always learn more and become better.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Well said Flak! However I agree to all that was mentioned so far. As soon as I state to people I'm good, something happens to make me say I suck. [sm=lol.gif]

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Shortymet55

I think your no longer a newbie, when you move onto a second plane, as long as you can actually control it. AND when you learn all the basic knowledge of the hobby. Really, just because you still learn stuff doesn't make you a newbie. Id the was true, then everyone would be a newbie, so the term newbie would be pointless, and then we would just stop useing it. So if you successfully learned to fly a trainer will precision, and you know all the basic knowledge that goes along with engines, electronics, how the plane works, then you have graduated to not newbie.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:44 PM
broke_n_bummin

Every $1,000, you move up a level ...
Old 06-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: broke_n_bummin

Every $1,000, you move up a level ...
Now that one I understand. lol
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I have always considered a newby a graduate pilot when he is flying the plane under his own control, as opposed to following it around the sky and reacting to what it does. I like the concept that a newby is athirsty learner, trying to absorb all he/she sees. I'm well past my second plane, but when it comes to 3D, I'm a newby.