Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1st Tower Trainer .40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st Tower Trainer .40

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
nucleusbrains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Tower Trainer .40

Okay,
So I was assem*bling* a CMP Corsair 50 . If anyone has pic's of them assembling one please send them to me. Anyway I just got my first Trainer since everyone told me I was nuts to buy a Corsair for my first plane and at that a CMP. They definantley have the worst manual (if you call one pic a manual) in the business. The trainer has a great manual and is actually making the assembly of the Corsair a little easier. I am putting an O.S.40 LA in this trainer. Do you think this engine is adaquit for the plane?
Thank's for all input.
Cody p
Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1st Tower Trainer .40

Congrats on selecting one of the best and most economic trainers on the market... You do not have to spend a lot of money to learn to fly. The .40 LA will fly this plane well. You may have dificulty getting up to air speed in taller grass runways so take your time. Have you found an instructor close by yet?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:57 AM
CherokeeFlyer

just make sure you got covering tools with ya. all the covering except for the white is coming off. but other than its a good choice.

Nathan
Old 06-09-2007, 05:40 AM
nucleusbrains

This being my FIRST plane I dont know what you mean by "covering tools"???
"all the white is comming off?" Please explain? I have already built most of the plane.
C.P.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy. Am I or the others crazy?
A,Einstein
Old 06-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nucleusbrains

This being my FIRST plane I dont know what you mean by "covering tools"???
"all the white is comming off?" Please explain? I have already built most of the plane.
C.P.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy. Am I or the others crazy?
A,Einstein
One flaw with this plane is the decals do not stick well to the covering. And the covering has a tendency to come lose. Using covering tools , such as an [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHZ17&P=0]Iron[/link] are used to re stick the covering if it comes lose. The back of the covering is coated with a heat activated glue.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I'm flying one of these for fun now, and keeping the trim pieces attached is almost a full time job. It's a very good flying trainer, however, and suprisingly aerobatic for a flat-bottomed wing trainer.

An O.S. .40 LA engine is a very good fit for this trainer, the ARF builds out surprisingly light and the .40 LA has enough power to haul it around well. It's also lightweight enough that the plane should balance well. I found mine to be rather noseheavy with a .46 FX up front, even with my NiCd battery way, way back in the tail section of the fuselage.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:32 PM
nucleusbrains

Were you using the NICad pack just as a counterweight or does it serve a pourpose?
C.P.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy.
Am I or the other's crazy?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:35 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Hehe, the NiCd back is for my receiver. I had to put the receiver back against the servo tray and the battery way behind the servo tray into the tail section to get the plane from "way too noseheavy" to simply "noseheavy." I don't like adding weight for balancing if I can get away without it.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Appfan

I soloed on the Tower Trainer - most of the instructors at our club remarked that they like the TT-MK40 more and more. I got the impression that the Tower Hobbies Trainer is okay, but not good or grea, just okay. After several guys flew it, they were quite suprised at how agile it can be.

Matter of fact I was just out flying my TT-MK40 this afternoon. Nothing's better than smooth winds and good landings.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cody,

I use a Tower Trainer 40 for instruction and find it quite adequate. When I was putting it together, I wrote a little article on it. My club posted the article to our web page, www.peoriarcmodelers.com

You may find that article valuable. Good luck,
Dave Olson