Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Glow vs. Gas

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Glow vs. Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:17 PM
nucleusbrains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow vs. Gas

I know this is a super noob question. What is the diff between gas and glow? I mean my sk 50 engine has a glow plug but takes fuel as well? Im so lost please explain?
LOL
C.P
Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Destiny-RCU

Default RE: Glow vs. Gas

They both run on different types of fuel....A gas engine is like a chainsaw engine...Runs on normal pump gas that you get for your car mixed with oil.
A glow engine runs on glow fuel which is usually a mixture of nitromethane and castor oil or synthetic for most sport fuels.

If you're in a conversation about electric vs. gas you could assume it means glow and gas fuels.
But if you're comparing glow vs. gas....Technically they are both "gas" but they use different fuels and have different purposes.

Gas engines are also 4 stroke ( they do make 2 stroke but I have never seen one on an airplane)
glow engines have 2 stroke and 4 stroke types
Old 06-10-2007, 03:16 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NO gasoline in the fuel for a glow fueled engine. It consists mainly of methanol, oil and nitro.
A Gas engine runs on gasoline for fuel.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Destiny-RCU

They both run on different types of fuel....A gas engine is like a chainsaw engine...Runs on normal pump gas that you get for your car mixed with oil.
A glow engine runs on glow fuel which is usually a mixture of nitromethane and castor oil or synthetic for most sport fuels.

If you're in a conversation about electric vs. gas you could assume it means glow and gas fuels.
But if you're comparing glow vs. gas....Technically they are both "gas" but they use different fuels and have different purposes.

Gas engines are also 4 stroke ( they do make 2 stroke but I have never seen one on an airplane)
glow engines have 2 stroke and 4 stroke types
Actually, glow fuel is a mixture of methanol and oil. It may or may not have nitromethane added. Sport fuels generally contain 5% to 15% nitro, FAI fuel has no nitro, some special purpose fuels have much higher proportions of nitro. They are not both gas. Gas is gasoline, petrol. Glow fuel is not gas. They are both wet, however.

The gas engines in automobiles are 4 stroke designs: the gas engines used in model aircraft are 2 stroke designs (like a chain saw or string trimmer) although a couple 4 stroke versions are being marketed recently for model usage, they are heavy and not as powerful as the 2 stroke versions.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Mikke

Hullo!
Wonder if I can ask a bit about alternative fuels for glow-engines..........for most other engines there seems to be alternatives, but a glow-engine like this for modelairplanes, which are basically like a small moped-engine, I have not seen any discussion on alternative fuels.
What about ethanol ?? Would that work, perhaps?? Are there such a difference between methanol and ethanol??
As an example, I have for 13 years run my boat-engine, an Albin O2 from 1948, which is a fourstroke, sidevalved,2-cyl gasoline/kerosene-engine on E85, which is ethanol 85% and gasoline 15%, without any problems.
Mikke
Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an engine that OS is marketing overseas as a green engine that uses ethanol. It is nonsensical as ethanol burns no more cleaner than methanol. Both will put out more CO2 than gas for the same power.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gas engines (gasoline) burn the same fuel as most cars do although most all model planes powered with gasoline use 2 cycle engines where oil is mixed with the gasoline. Glow engines burn alcohol based fuel with an oil content added for lubrication and, in many cases also has nitromethane added to improve performance under some conditions but is not a necessary ingredient for engines properly set up to get by without it as most FAI fuels do not contain any nitromethane. Glow plugs will not work with gas as they require the catalytic action of the alcohol and glow plug element to maintain the heat necessary for combustion of the fuel.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM
ag4ever

Some people use colman camp stove fuel in their gas engine to reduce or get rid of that gas smell. They also say it burns much cleaner and leaves less mess.

Moki sells may 4 stroke gas engines and I would not say they are really heavy or low on power, but their radial engine do sound great. See RCShowcase for the 15, 215, 250 and 400 radials.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
B.L.E.

If you are flying a small airplane that fits in a small car, it's most likely going to be glow powered. If you are flying a quarter scale monster that needs a van to haul to the field, it's most likely going to be gas powered.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:48 PM
pupmeister

Another major difference between glow and gas is; glow engines are compression ignition engines whereas gas (petrol) engines are spark ignition engines.

Cheers
Pups
Old 06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
nucleusbrains

Thank you Destiny RCU. That's excatly what I was looking for in an answer.
Cody P