Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Monokote Repair >

Monokote Repair

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Monokote Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote Repair

I did something stupid today and flew my plane into a tree straight from take-off :stupid: The good thing is the plane was flying slow and the branches of the tree cushioned the impact fairly well so there is no damage done other a tear in the monokote on the leading edge of the wing. Actually, I'm in worse shape after having to climb the 50ft tree to get my plane down I'm covered in scratches and my pride is dented!

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on how to repair the monokote. Should I just duct tape the hole or is there something else which would make the repair look at least half professional.

Hopefully, I have had my first and last crash!

Skidd!
Old 02-22-2002, 01:36 AM

Default Monokote Repair

Don't feel bad. I've had much more spectalular crashes than that, and I'm still flying.

Don't use duct tape. Use that thin clear packing tape that's as wide as duct tape but not much thicker than cellophane tape. Keep a roll in your gear all the time. It's great for patching holes and you can harldly see it if you get it on smooth enough. You can also use it for sealing the gap between your wing and ailerons. It works great and lasts a long time (forever?) if the surface is nice a clean.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:06 AM

Default Monokote repair

I suggest cutting the hole into a neat shape first. (whatever is appropriate for the damaged spot... Maybe a square or triangular shape)

Then wipe the area around the hole with a light cleaner... Windex will work. Then, attach a fresh piece of Monokote slightly larger than the hole you've created, iron down the edges, and re-shrink the portion covering the hole.

If you use the same color, the seam will be nearly invisible.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:56 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monokote Repair

Skidd,

TexAg78 and mikejames0 are both right. The Monokote looks better, but I have seen the tape last for years. I always have a roll of the clear tape handy just in case. It can get you back in the air in just a few seconds. Just be sure to clean the area the tape is going on.

Don't count on this being your last crash.

Eric
Old 02-22-2002, 01:50 PM

Default Monokote Repair

I had a similar tear a few weeks ago. I thought my flying day was over, but one of the heli pilots helped out. In his field box he had a collection of 2" x 4" pieces of Monokote trim material (the peel and stick stuff), in various colors. It worked great, and it wasn't too hard to get off later for a "real" patch. Now I keep a selection in my own field box. (Apparently the heli pilots use it for markings on the rotor blades.)

For a "real" repair, the best looking is to use Monokote, and Monokote Trim Solvent works great to put it on. However, if your plane is an ARF, I can't see buying a whole roll of Monokote for one little patch, so your best bet is the either the trim material (still pretty pricey) or the packing tape.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default patches

I like to patch holes with decorative shapes from contrasting colors, like stars, when I can't make a good looking repair from matching covering. It usually looks pretty good if the plane isn't a warbird or scale something or other.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:35 PM

Default Monokote Repair

I use clear packing tape at the feild and then MonoKote when I get home. Follow the above advice with one addition. I always round off the corners of the patch for some reason of you don't the corners will lift up.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:27 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Default Monokote Repair

hehe, one guy i know made his airplane scheme all white with red blotches everywhere so that when he does or ever will scratch it up, he puts one more red blotch on, that way it looks as if it never happened
Old 02-26-2002, 11:52 PM

Default Monokote Repair

Originally posted by depfife
Skidd,

Don't count on this being your last crash.

Eric
You're right, it wasn't my last crash...I crashed on the landing this time around!
Old 02-27-2002, 01:52 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monokote Repair

Hope this one is as easy to repair as the first. Don't get discouraged, because it is going to happen, especially at the begining. Once you get landing down, the crashes tend to get farther apart. When I retired my trainer it was constructed mostly of epoxy and tape.

Eric
Old 02-27-2002, 01:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: patches

Originally posted by vinnie
I like to patch holes with decorative shapes from contrasting colors, like stars, when I can't make a good looking repair from matching covering. It usually looks pretty good if the plane isn't a warbird or scale something or other.

Ahem.........I discovered that also, especially on my combat planes. if I am feeling real lazy I will use a decal or sticker.
Sometimes it turns out looking pretty good!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4084_163.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	3096