Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need new 4 stroke for Big Stick 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need new 4 stroke for Big Stick 40

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
pywackit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new 4 stroke for Big Stick 40

Hey Guys, I've got this Big stick 40 just hanging and calling me to put a new 4 stroke engine on her before I get her maiden ready and me ready. I was going to put a Magnum .61 on her but decided not too since I think it would be under powered. I've got the .61 in my Alpha 40 which is slower then the .46 Evolution that came with her but it works! That .46 gave me so many deadsticks so the Magnum went in. So the Big Stick needs a new engine and I was thinking about the Magnum 4 stroke 70 which has the carb linkage on the co-pilot side sort of speak. I didn't even want to switch that around. Is there another 4 stroke out there other then the Magnum that would work? I've seen a 70 Magnum in one awhile back and it flew great but not sure if Magnums are really that good.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need new 4 stroke for Big Stick 40

Magnums are very good engines, and the carburator is reversable so you can turn it around and use the throttle linkage as installed.

You might also consider the new Thunder Tiger F-75s 4-stroke available from http://www.infinitehobbies.com for $175 with free shipping. It's a little more expensive than the Magnum RFS .70, but it's almost 5 ounces lighter-weight. The F-75s is a new design with a twin-needle carburator.

You will be able to balance your Big Stik much easier with the Thunder Tiger F-75s than the Magnum RFS .70 without adding a bunch of weight to the tail of the plane.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 PM
pywackit

Biged, are you telling me even on my .61 4 stroke magnum the carb is reverseable? If so...never knew that. Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
bigedmustafa

Well, I can't swear to what your .61 will or won't do, but I'm looking at a new Magnum XL70 RFS sitting on my computer desk. The carburator is held on by two hex-head bolts. You can simple remove the bolts, spin the carburator 180 degrees and re-insert the bolts to move the throttle arm from the right-hand side of the engine to the left hand side.

This configuration is typical for most four-strokes, and allows you to more easily configure the engine for running while inverted or angled at 90 degrees.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
pywackit

Biged, thanks for the help but I think I'm going to try a Saito .62 or .72. The Magnum 70 weighs 21.2, while the Saito .72 weighs almost 5 ounces less. But I could also go with the Saito .62 which weighs 6.2 ounces less!

I need to find out what the Magnum .61 weighs to make a better decision....
Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: pywackit

Biged, thanks for the help but I think I'm going to try a Saito .62 or .72. The Magnum 70 weighs 21.2, while the Saito .72 weighs almost 5 ounces less. But I could also go with the Saito .62 which weighs 6.2 ounces less!

I need to find out what the Magnum .61 weighs to make a better decision....
My brother has a Magnum .61 RFS. It is about the same weight as the .52, and the carb can be turned around if needed. His .61 turns a 12x6 prop at about 10400 using fuel with 15% nitro. He replaced a TT-46 Pro un an Ultra Stick 40 with he Mag .61 and thought it was a dog. He put a .70 four stroke on it and is happy.

Horizon says the Saito .62 "Turns an APC 13 x 6 prop at 9900 rpm" so it might be OK on the Stik.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:53 PM
pywackit

I think my Mag .61 is a dog too but it would be great on a smaller lighter plane for sure.
I think what I'll do is put the .72 Saito on her....that'll be a great engine to have around for later planes anyway.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
bigedmustafa

Most folks usually step up to the Saito .82 since the weight is almost identical to the Saito .72.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
chashint

I never recommend against OS or Saito engines they are fine pieces of machinery ........ but the Magnum 70 is $149 at Omni right now and there is a $10 off code on the website, plus free shipping ....... so the bang for the buck is pretty good.
Never owned a Saito so I only know what I read about them. I love my OS engines and I also love my Magnum engines (and I have a lot more Magnums than OS). It has been my experience that the Magnums perform just as good as the OS engines. Very reliable and so far problem free.
As far as the weight goes hang appropriate lead on the nose and see if you can balance the plane by moving the battery, if you can then don't worry about the weight.
I think the 70 would be a good match to that plane ..... of course if the Saito 82 will fit in the same space it would pretty much turn the plane into a rocket ship when you want it to be one.
The Magnums have the throttle arm on the right hand side of the engine, same as most two strokes. Its not positioned left to right in the same place as the two stroke carbs but with a very minor modification you can fix the exit point in the firewall.
I don't like turning the carb around because it puts the needle valve by the muffler, I touched one of those once and that was enough for me.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:40 AM
bigedmustafa

I still don't know why pywackit completely ignored my suggestion of the Thunder Tiger F-75s. It's as light as the Saito and it's $60 less expensive. Thunder Tiger engines are as good as any brand I've used.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 AM
pywackit

Biged, I just haven't check into the Thunder Tiger yet so I really decided to early on that Saito engine. I'll check them out. What I know for sure is I've talked myself into buying a BRAND NEW ENGINE....Yahoo!

Chashint, I really like the Magnum 70 engine and I've seen one on a Big Stick 40 and it hauls as$! You can't beat the price but I'd like to try out another brand and I've heard nothing bad about Saito or OS.

I've got to be careful on this engine selection since it will probably end up in my "Global Fokker D-7" later.....so weight and size will matter. Of couse I could always buy another engine later...

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 PM
pywackit

Biged,

I just got done checking out the TT 75, have you had one of these? Can you tell more then what there decription tells me? It's something to consider for sure.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
bigedmustafa

I own one of the Thunder Tiger F-91s 4-strokes, a Saito .72, a Magnum XL52 RFS, and a Magnum XL70 RFS

I'm quite happy with all of my 4-strokes, and I simply point out the F-75s because it represents a great value for a lighter-weight .70-size four stroke.

Everything I know about the F-75s can be found here:

[link=http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR9802.htm]Ace Hobby - F-75s[/link]

[link=http://www.acehobby.com/ace/PDF/Engine/F_75S.pdf]F-75s Owner's Manual[/link]

Thunder Tiger's whole engine line is very solid from top to bottom, and the F-75s should be no exception. As much as I like my Saito .72, I would have bought the F-75s instead if it had been available when I bought the Saito.

It's a new engine that just started shipping recently, hopefully we'll see more reviews on it soon.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 AM
pywackit

I printed the manual out to read it and see how easy the break end period is...I know this can be specific.
That might be one reason why my .61 doesn't have much power.
Thanks for the help Biged.