Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flaperon mixing...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flaperon mixing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:08 PM
chevy43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperon mixing...

I'm new to flaperon mixing.. I have a Speedy Bee ( Sport plane with over 1 to 1 power to weight - light wing loading - big tail surfaces - and big barn door ailerons ) which I'd like to play with flaperon mixing. I'm pretty sure this plane will hang on it's prop but since the ailerons are a little outboad it might torque rool.

My radio is a Hitec Optic 6. Reciever is a Berg 7.

Any ideas how I could flaperon mix for fun?? Should I set it up like a control - line model where the ailerons go down whe the elvator goes up? I hope I can togle flaperon on and off. I'm going to have to study the manal...

How about using the ailerons as slow speed flaps? I have heard that can cause wing tip stall so I'm not too sure about that idea and I don't really need it anway as this thing should fly supper slowly.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
chevy43

Default RE: Flaperon mixing...

Double post....
Old 06-13-2007, 02:41 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Flaperon mixing is a mixture of 2 words flap & aileron, hence flaperon, this is where you have 2 servos, or more, controlling your ailerons, one for each side, you would set up flaperon mixing so that, you don't need a "Y" lead, then you can use the ailerons as normal, &/or use the ailerons as flaps for landing & take off, & retain aileron control.
Where you mix elevators & flaps, it is just that, an elevator to flap mix. But to do that you must have 2 servos, for your ailerons, otherwise, it won't work, because with one aileron servo, it can only make one aileron go up & the other must go down.
I hope that is clear, & I don't know if you plane has 2 aileron servos or just one in the middle of the wing.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:55 AM
chevy43

Thanks Alan,

I do have two sevo's for the ailerons.

I'm trying to figure out what would be a mix to start with. How much flap elevator mix to try and should I go with flaps down elevator up for tight manuevers and then can I mix it flaps down with a litlle elevator down to keep the plane level if I'm using flaps for slow flying?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:01 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One problem with flapeons is that the entire aileron moves when the flaps are selected. That will end up restricting the amount of aileron throw on the bottom side when making a turn.. could get critical at landing time.

If you have never used them before, it may be best to fly the plane a few times without using the flaps at all, then gradually add throw to the flaps part until you are comfortable with the way the plane handles once you have selected flaps. I have one radio that has a dial that I can slowly dial in flaps rather than switch them in and out. But, I do not often use them. The Tiger 120 that I fly has separate flaps and ailerons, and the flaps are on a three position switch.. off, 1/2 and full, yet, I don't use them hardly at all. I just don't see the need for them with that huge wing that the Tiger 120 has.

You may find that somewhat differet with what you are flying, but I would think that a slow approach to using the flaps, in a flaperon setup, is probably prudent.

DS.