Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which Radio?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Radio?

Which Radio - Futaba 6EX 2.4gz(6 Chan) OR Futaba 7CAF (7-Chan)72mhz? One is 2.4gz...the other isnt....and does that one extra channel really make a difference. I am now flying glow and plan on getting into pattern planes. Would it even make a diff if I was flying electric?(the 7th channel)
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Which Radio?

There are a lot of other advantages to the 7C than just the 7th channel. On the other hand, 2.4Ghz spread spectrum technology is really nice. Futaba is releasing a 2.4Ghz version of the 7C in the very near future, so if you don't have to buy one right now, why not wait just a little while and see how that one compares?

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk7000.html
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm waiting on the 7C 2.4 even though I could just put modules in my 7U. I just know what I want.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Shortymet55

What radio is the 7U? I cant find it anywhere. I know its not the 7C, because they dont have modules.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

It's not the # of channels that is imporant, but the software in the radio. Look at all the radio's and what the radio can do for the plane. A good radio can fix any bad habits that plane has. On mine i may use up to four P-mixs. Knife edge mix (some planes need two. R to E, R to A) Throttle to rudder, throttle curve. thats why i use a 10X and will move to the 9303DX when it comes. Buy a good one now and you woun't need to replace it later. DEnnis
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Shortymet55

What radio is the 7U? I cant find it anywhere. I know its not the 7C, because they dont have modules.
7UAFS in my case. No longer in production but still a great radio I use a lot. It could take a module if I wanted to go that way.

Here's the manual if interested http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/7uafs-7uaps-manual.pdf
Old 06-14-2007, 10:33 AM
bruce88123

DadsToysBG is right about getting what you will want in the foreseeable future IF you can afford it. In the past my 7U has done all I have asked of it with the exception of a couple of things I have been able to work around. The 7C 2.4 will do more and keep me happy for quite some time to come. The 6EX 2.4 fell short of what I wanted.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Spektrum DX7
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
rlipsett

the 9c has better mixing softeware then both and you will soon be able to buy the spectrum module for it.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM
CGRetired

That's ok. I have Airtronics and have replaced both of them with one Spektrum DX7 and it works out just fine for all of my planes. Everything I need is right there, as all of the DX7 owners will tell you.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
danny31292

As soon as you get advanced planes the 6ex will not have features and mixes you want. The new 2.4 ghz 7c sounds nice however i think the spektrum dx7 looks like it has more features (ex. dual elevator servos).
Old 06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: rlipsett

the 9c has better mixing softeware then both and you will soon be able to buy the spectrum module for it.
The Spektrum modules will not have as fast of response time as the radios with Spektrum built-in. I have a 9C, but decided to just get the DX7 instead of the module. Not sure I'll want to shell out the big $$$$ for the new 9ch JR with Spektrum built-in...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM
CGRetired

Yeah, this stuff is beginning to get quite pricey if you want all the new and 'safe' modes of operation. I was lucky enough to pick up the DX7 when the price was $100 less than it is now.

A friend in the club has a brand new DX6 (new in the box) that he won at a match one time, an old timer SAM type match. He does not want the DX6. I said I'd buy it from him one of these days, I imagine I can get it for $150 or so because he just wants to get rid of it. I can then put my electrics on that radio and save the DX7 for my fuel planes. 20 model memory goes a long way. And, I don't think I will need 9 channels any time soon, either.

DS.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
VFR_RC

Spektrum DX7... Love my radio!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:02 PM
felixone

I would have to vote for the DX7 as well. I had been researching a radio upgrade for myself, and had settled on the DX7. For the price, you really couldn't beat the value, assuming it is within your budget. I actually ended up buying a slightly used 9C, which I love. Still had I not gotten such a good deal on the 9C I would definitely be looking to get the DX7 in the next month or so.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you already have a number of models equipped with receivers? One cost of the 2.4s is that they don't work with your already purchased RXs. So you've got to buy RXs for all your airplanes, all over again.

Keep in mind that the more popular the 2.4s become the less frequency conflicts the rest of us are going to encounter.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:52 PM
VFR_RC

You are right, I am just getting back after 10 years out of the hobby and didn't have any airplanes at all. Starting with the DX7 was easy for me since i didn't have to re-equip airplanes with new (not cheap) receivers.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 PM
-pkh-

LOL... yeah... live it up with the 72MHz stuff while you can... the major manufacturers won't be making it in a couple of years. A lot of guys are selling their 72MHz stuff now while there is still a market for it. Even servocity is clearing out it's 9C 72MHz modules and a few 72MHz receivers pretty cheaply...

I should probably sell my 72MHz RXs as I convert over, but I've only got two DSS RXs so far, and I've got three ARFs in boxes yet, so the freed-up 72MHz RXs still may get another plane to fly! With at least 9 more aircraft to convert over to DSS, and a 9C TX that I love, I'll be flying some 72MHz aircraft for another year or two myself...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

well i need a radio and dont know if i should go with a 72mhz or 2.4ghz. One alternative is that i can buy servos and use the receiver and transmitter from my trainer(Electristar) until i sell the trainer(thats the plan) Futaba is reeleasing the 7U 2.4ghz transmitters soon...but i dont know when. Anyone know?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:29 PM
bruce88123

Actually the 7U is obsolete. It's the 7C that's about to be released.
Tower has just posted some prices but no dates.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=JLL

Seem reasonable to me.

I heard late summer/early fall. Could be sooner, I hope.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 AM
CGRetired

You can use any servo you want with the DX7. I have a mix of Futaba, Airtronics, Jr, and Spektrum servo's (although many will tell you, and I believe it cuz I've seen it the JR and DX servo's are identical). All work just fine. You may have to use a reverser (built in most of the TX's) but they work.

Not so RX's as mentioned above. 72 MHz RX's are for 72 MHz. The Spektrum RX is for the Spektrum radio only operating at 2.4 GHz. They are $99.00 by the way, which makes them a tad bit pricey, but I've been slowly changing out my aircraft to the DX7 system and have done three so far. Eventually, they will all be on the DX7 and that will be that.

Don't let people try to convince you otherwise. There are subtle differences between manufacturer's systems and that's just about it. Subtle differences. Only the pro's can really tell the differences. For those of us that are mainly sport flyers, all this talk about latency, response, and so on, is just that... talk.

You can choose any radio system you want, but choose one based on capabilities that you can handle and can recognize, not something that someone says is better for this reason or that reason. Even though I am on this Spektrum kick, as many people are, my reasons are because of the 2.4 GHz thing with no inteference than anything else. Many manufacturers are coming out with 2.4 GHz now that Spektrum has broken the ice. Read the thread (quite long.. some 90 some odd pages long) about these systems on 2.4 GHz and you will find that in spite of what some people think, all manufactures are trying to catch up with Spektrum, not the other way around. They were the first and their system works.. plain and simple.. and it is priced reasonably.

Don't get stuck on brand names based only on brand names. Do some research and see what system/manufacturer is best for you in your situation and price range and go accordingly. I've heard of some people at some clubs that won't even talk to you if you don't show up with a Futaba system. How narrow minded is that!! Jeech.. I drive a Volvo. My last car was a Subaru. Before that.. a Lexus. So, where does that put me? I drive what I like based on what I see and how I feel. Same with radio's. Get what you feel will suite your needs at the price you can afford.

DS.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:45 AM
bruce88123

Volvo? [:'(]
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 AM
CGRetired

Long story.. short of it.. I was in my 2002 Subaru Outback, great car I might add.. in August. I was in the right hand lane of a four lane road (two lanes each way). Some woman shot out of a side street (ran the stop sign), crossed three lanes and smashed into the side of my Outback. The car slid sideways about a foot then hit the curb which launched the thing.. flipped up and over and it landed on the roof. My girlfriend and I were in the car dangling from our seatbelts. The Outback was obviously totaled.

When I went to replace the car, I was going to get another Subaru but the step up from what I had (the Outback LL Bean edition.. very nice car till she totaled it on me) the only thing they had was the Tribeca. I didn't like it. To boxy and truck-like. I searched around and finally got a good price on the new (at the time) Volvo V-70 2.5T. Loaded, nice car.. but I miss my Outback. You have to understand that my choices were limited.. I had to make sure my planes fit in the back!!! Priorities!!!!

Thus... Volvo.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 AM
bruce88123

Well--------------- OK, good enough.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

the time will come when 72 will not be sold anymore and at some point not even serviced. It doesn't make any difference what brand you use but if you need a new radio you are wasting your money if you don't move to 2.4.
At our jet meet two weeks ago most flew JR but nobody cared what radio was on the flight line. Close to half were already on 2.4 and when i brought out my modules from the store everything was sold in 2 hours. They were switching over in their tents and flying the planes the same day.
They put their trust in the system with $10,000 planes. I'm now sitting on B/O for 3 more guys.
we have a big bird coming up in July (Vette City Big Birds) and I'll bet more then half or more will be 2.4.
Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.