Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Alpha 40 questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Alpha 40 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Hossbog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 40 questions

I bought the alpha 40 a few weeks ago and I have flown it several times. Today the wing wanted to pull up. I put a 11x6 prop on and it pulls a lot faster, but it is putting too much force on the wing. I replaced the rubberbands and it was fine. IS there a wat to keep the wing down besides putting new rubberbands every time. Also, I bought the low bownce tires and it still bounces a lot. It always comes in for a landing fast and bounces a few times. Is the stock landing gear good. Is that spring in the front making it bounce? Also any other advice on this plane would be much appreciated.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 PM
i live for 3D
Banned

Default RE: Alpha 40 questions

you probably need more rubber bands...how much are you using?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Hossbog

2 on each side and 1 accross both sides
Old 07-02-2007, 12:01 AM
i live for 3D
Banned

you definately need more......a way to test to see if you are using enough is to try to pull the wing up from the fuselage and keep adding rubber bands until the wing wont move
Old 07-02-2007, 12:21 AM
JPGale

ORIGINAL: Hossbog

2 on each side and 1 accross both sides
First the alpha 40 manual recommends 10, 1 across on both sides then 4 each side going from one side to the other in a criss cross.

Now you are bouncing because you are landing it to fast, bring the speed down and fly the plane to the ground, so throttle back more, remember the flair is suppose to stall the plane onto the wheels, therefore the plane can not bounce as there is not enough airspeed to fly, however if you do bounce then blip the throttle (it may sound odd but it works) let the plane settle and try again if needs be around.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Nnoodles

Isnt it possible to mod that up someway so the Wings bolt on?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 AM
jetmech05

you can mod the wing, but why? a big bag of number 64 rubber bannds cost 4 bucks at stapels. You are re using rubber bands...I disagree with that. rubber bands are so cheap it is a small investment. helps protect your airplane. I'd use 10 or 12, and only once.
there is nothing wrong with the tires or the landing gear. You're coming in too fast. either too much throttle or too steep an approach.
If you fly at a field ask someone for advice.
Good Luck
Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Hossbog

Can I put an Arrow 40 wing on it?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Indy Park Flyer

I have the Alpha 40 and I use 12-14 rubberbands per flight. As for the gear, mine was modified by the previous owner. He removed the stock gear and went to Dubro for the main wheels. This created a bad nose-down issue so I went with a longer nose gear and I have no problems with take-off or landing, except my own inexperience.
Indy Park Flyer
Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Montague

The Arrow 40 wing won't fit, the Alpha has a flat wing saddle.

I don't replace rubber bands after each flight, but I do throw them out after a day's flying. I also buy cheap ones in bulk through office supply places, and use a few extra.

About the landing gear, you want the plane to sit basically level. On pavement, a hair nose-down is good. A hair nose up on some planes on grass may be good, but too nose up will make it harder to land with out bouncing, and will cause the plane to "wheelbarrow" on lift-off, which often results in a sharp turn to left or right just before leaving the ground. The reason is that the mains come off the ground, but the nosewheel is still in contact, which makes an unstable situation.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 PM
RACJ

I learned on ALPHA40. Wonderful plane but use PLENTY of rubber bands. I used 3 per side then 2 crossed then2 per side then 2 crossed. If you get good and do a powered loop the wing will ride up on back of wing saddle and incidence change will make plane very hard to control.I got lucky and got mine landed. Don't even think about rolls,snaps or other aerobatics without this many bands. I flew mine a LONG time after just take off and landings and the wing WILL not stay in wing saddle with just a few bands.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 PM
cracker39

I bought a slightly used Alpha 40 to learn to fly (still learning and reparing the broken nose due to battery failure). I have flown it with as few as 6 rubber bands and usually with 8, and have had no problem with the wing lifting up...not at least that I could see. It's flown great. I've used the bands more than once, but not if they tend to stretch more than when new. It could be that the brand I'm using (Hobbico) may be better than the office supply type. Even with 6, I can hardly move the wing upward at all.

My stock landing gear tends to flatten out and I had to keep rebending it. I finally replaced the main gear with the same type. My nose gear seemed to be too short and the prop kept cutting the grass. I bought another a little longer, but it was too long and I nad to cut it down some. Now, I have just a little more height on the nose and it still takes off normally.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Gary L.

My instructer had to beat it into my head to use throttle to land, it just seems normal to use elevator, but it dont work that way... when I finally listened it was a piece of cake. No more bounce..
Hey, this my 100th post, man this place is addictive !!!!