Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
rudder-elevator mix >

rudder-elevator mix

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rudder-elevator mix

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 11:56 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rudder-elevator mix

i`m about to learn planks on a 3 ch trainer{hobbyshack schoolboy w/ asp .09 engine}, rudder/elevator and throttle. i was thinking about a r/e mix to help with making a co-ordinated turns, while my knees are knocking, ant ideas from you seasoned veterans? i`m forced to go it alone. i have many sim hours on planks
thanx
Old 02-25-2002, 08:59 AM

Default Mixing

Just fly at something less than full throttle all the time, and you'll be fine. Everybody's knees knock at this stage. Make small stick movements, and take your time.

I recommend that you start learning how to use the rudder (separately) now, because this is a skill you MUST eventually develop, for higher performance planes, and more precision flying. Don't worry... You'll do fine.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default LEARNING.

I agree with JAMES,

Just take your time, you have a good aircraft to begin it alone with. it is a very good floater. once it gets in the air just remember you're sim. training.

Make all of your transmitter inputs very smooth and as little as possible until you get the hang of it.
concentrate on circles. keeping the aircraft at the same altitude while doing them. play with your throttle at a relatively high altitude and see how slow you can fly it and still stay in control. THEN FLY IT AT THAT THROTTLE. IT will give you time to think about your next input.

and most importantly, REMEMBER TO "TRIM IT OUT" once it's at a decent elevation. nuetralize the sticks(bring them both to the nuetral position) and move your "sub trims" until the plane flies straight and level "hands off" now if you have a dead-stick you don't have to fight the controls.
I had to do it this way also, Then I met a guy who used to fly pattern contest. He really helped me along.

BEST OF LUCK! HAVE FUN.

RON in NEVADA
Old 02-25-2002, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

greatplanes,

I agree with the other posts. However, one thing to remember is before adding any mixing you must fly the plane to see how it reacts. You won't know how much mixing to add until after the first couple of flights. You may find you don't need any.

As for coordinated turns, I haven't flown a 3 channel setup, but I don't think you want to mix rudder and elevator. Most coordinated turns are achieved using the rudder and ailerons.

If you must go it alone, fly the plane with no mixing. It will teach you the proper use the controls.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Not to be negative,but you are making it much more difficult on yourself by trying to learn alone.Also the model you have chosen is rather small and I would not try to fly on windy days.If at all possible seek out a local club or flyer and ask for help,especially if you cant afford to replace your trainer.
Assuming you are flying mode two,put your rudder and elevator on the right stick and the throttle on the left,and leave the mixing for much later...
Good Luck....
Old 02-25-2002, 06:31 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Mixing

The reason you would want to mix roll and pitch control is to counter adverse yaw from the down aileron. Since you are flying a 3-channel airplane which uses rudder causing roll-due-to-yaw as roll control, you have no need for this type of coordination.

If you are just speaking of using up elevator to hold altitude in the turn, you would only use it after neutralizing the rudder. If you try to apply elevator as you roll in, you will probably climb. During roll in, unless you are making a very slow roll in, you only need a very little, if any, elevator.

If your plane has room, I would suggest you add the 4th servo and connect it to your nose wheel steering and the rudder channel. Your rudder is in the aileron/roll channel. This way, you can learn to steer on the ground with your left hand. You'll need this for your next plane.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:15 PM
My Feedback: (5)

greetplanes,

By all means, get with some more experienced fliers. Join a club. Any dues will be well worth your investment, instead of a crashed plane. You will gain experienced help, and might even meet several new friends.

Your profile says "east boston". How about the Charles River Rc club. http://www.charlesriverrc.org

If you want to go it alone, that is your choice. Best wishes.