Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

help with monocoat repair

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

help with monocoat repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 PM
dzydvl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with monocoat repair

my friend just gave me an razzel 3d he had sitting in his garage. free plane score. but as we all know theres no such thing as a free plane. it does need a little work and thats where i need some advice i have done all the repairs to the frame its self, nothing major. but now i need to repair the mono and don't know how. there are a few rips in the mono. there are also lose spots in the mono. i don't know whitch i should do first. this is my first blasa plane so this is all new to me. thank you.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:12 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help with monocoat repair

hi,
nice score by the way. clean the WHOLE plane well with rubbing alcohol and paper towels to remove all oil residue. ( THIS WAY YOU DON'T GET YOUR HANDs OILLY WHILE MAKING THE REPAIRS) small holes or splits can be repaired with a little clear mono coat or the same color as is being repaired. larger areas or areas with underlying damage need cut away with a fresh sharp exacto blade to an area such as a rib or wood that can hold the newly made edges such as spars sheeting edges etc.
avoid "mid air" covering seams. sometimes i cut the old away so that a little 1/4" or so is left to fold over the wood to avoid it shrinking away when heat is applied to the new monokote. there is a super monokote "how to" on this site somewhere.

be sure your finding ALL the damaged areas under the covering. go over all repaired monokote seams a second time with a slight hotter iron...monokote turns slightly darker when hot. you may NOT want the iron that hot when first appying the patches. i even wash my hands prior to applying new covering especially if i've been handling an oilly plane.
good luck
Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help with monocoat repair

When repairing an open structure wing decide how far you are going to need to cut back the covering. Iron down the covering to the ribs in that area to avoid having it pull back. When you cut back the covering leave a small lip (1/4 inch maybe) INSIDE the hole for ironing down to the ribs/structure. Apply the patch and have it extend past the rib slightly. Color match as well as you can OR add an accent stripe?