Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sky Fly by Fly Zone

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sky Fly by Fly Zone

Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
high flyer 777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Fly by Fly Zone

I purchased a Sky Fly. Anyone have experience with this plane? Please share your experiences and tips with this plane. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Sky Fly by Fly Zone

I have many flights on several Sky Fly planes. Great first plane.

Good points -

Very Stable
Easy to fly
Excellent ground handling if you have a runway
Rugged - can take some serious abuse
Landing gear can help cushion hard landings on hard surfaces.

Things to watch

The Elevator hinge tends to break. Reinforce it with clear packing tape NOW! - Fold it all the way down, then apply tape. That should prevent any problems.

Check the adjuster screws from time to time. There is a little screw in the back. Make sure it is tight or the surface can release and you will lose control.

If you are launching and landing on grass, then you probably won't be using the landing gear. If the gear tends to grab the grass and flip the plane, eventually it will break the tail. Take it off and fly without it. The reduced weight makes the plane more manauverable and easier to loop.

Enjoy it!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
high flyer 777

Thanks for your insight. Every bit of info helps to make me successful. That's really a good idea of taping the elevator.
Not quite sure what adjuster screw you are referring to. On the tx. or is it the plane itself?
I also started flying heli's 2 months ago. I'm hooked on R/C.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:39 PM
aeajr

The tail is controled by plastic lines. The are adjusted with turn screws that are held tight with a small phillips head screw on the back.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
high flyer 777

Got ya. Thanks. I just ordered some extra parts for the Sky Fly today. Tower Hobbies had $10 off.
I am waiting for some heli parts. Just got an email that UPS directed them to a different hub. I
should have got them yesterday. Then I would have had the whole weekend to practice.
If I've learned anything yet in the R/C hobby, it's to have spare parts. You're going to need them
sooner or later anyway.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 PM
high flyer 777

When you tape the elevator hinge. Do you tape it on both sides?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
aeajr

I find that if you tape the hinge on both sides the Sky Fly Servos have trouble moving it. I did that once and ended up removing one side.

If you tape it BEFORE the hinges break, they may never break.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
high flyer 777

So tape it on top or on the bottom?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:13 PM
aeajr

Fold the elevator down, then tape from the top. If you fold it all the down and taped it, from the bottom it would not return to level.

You could fold it all the way up and tape from the bottom, same thing. I just find it easier from the top.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:28 PM
high flyer 777

Got it. Let me ask you about a plane called the Wind Spirit, 5 ft. wing span. 30 possible minutes in the air, etc. I'm seeing it on
different websites. Some sites say it is a 3 channel, some say it is a 2 channel plane. I can tell it's the same plane from the
numbers on the wings. Do you know what channel it is? Is this plane any good? Saw it on about 6 different sites. Bigger motor
in it too. Good price if it's a 3 channel.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:37 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: high flyer 777

Got it. Let me ask you about a plane called the Wind Spirit, 5 ft. wing span.
When asking about a specific plane is it always best to post a link. I don't know if I have ever seen this plane before.

The first recommendation is ALWAYS to send a note to the seller and ask them. Then ask here.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
phoenix426

I have a Skyfly which was also my first plane.
The first thing I discovered is how crappy the wheels are. Since l needed a lot of take off/landing practice, I chose to upgrade the wheels to a slightly larger rubber type.
I purchased "tail dragger" type wheels because they were still small and light weight and fit on the gear wire. I put the cheap yellow collar on the inside then used small locking collars to hold the wheels on from the outside.
Wow, did it make a difference on the runway! Good mod.

After several flights (and crashes) I got tired of messing with the fishing line and rubber bands for the rudder & elevator control. I took those off and installed micro control rods.
The rods really help the little built in servos hold the control surfaces in position during flight and thus increased the handling 3 fold.
I was inspired to do this mod after the fishing line came loose from the elevator one day (causing the rubber band to pull down hard) and it crashed with a quickness breaking just about everything but the electronics. All I could do was watch.
After installing the control rods, my Skyfly will do loops and hammer heads all day long. Naturally, it won't do many other acrobatics, but it's a lot more fun to fly than it was on day 1.
Don't stress it too hard though. I've heard of the wings snapping during tight fast manuevers. I have not had that problem yet.

So, get better wheels and install control rods.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
high flyer 777

Good pointers and ideas. Where would I get the control rods? At my local R/C store? How would I know what size to get?
I think I would like to make this mod before I fly it. I like your upgrade idea.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:26 PM
phoenix426

I got mine at the local RC hobby shop. Just let them know what you're wanting to do (that's what I did) and they will give you the right rods.
The ones I got cost about $4 and came as a pair. Little steel rod inside a plastic sleeve and about 30" long.
Basically, you want the lightest ones you can get because the SkyFly isn't exactly a C130.

I ran mine on the outside of the tailshaft and used some clear packing tape to hold them in place.
I'm sure there is a prettier way of doing it, but I was improvising and wasn't sure how well it would work.
You'll need to cut a small hole in the back of the fuse to run them through... just watch the prop clearance.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
high flyer 777

Sounds great! I'll take the plane w/me to the hobby store so it can be sized up correctly.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
high flyer 777

Hey Phoenix426, I went down to my local hobby shop today and picked up a set of control rods for my Sky Fly. Only cost $5.
I asked the guy at the shop about using the lightest weight cable ties to hold the contol rods in the plastice sleeves to the
carbon tail boom. He thought that would be plenty light. This idea and I like the idea also mentioned of using clear packing tape
on the elevator to prevent the styro from wearing out on the tail.
I don't like the idea of fishing line. I fish, and line breaks sooner or later when you least expect it.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
kevinvw1

hey high flyer 777, I did the same. I bought a Dubro 852 30" micro pushrod system and a Dubro 845 E/Z connector pack.
I used the E/Z connectors on both ends because you can't get inside to adjust the rods and the micro E/Z links won't work on the servo side.
I poked a couple of holes in the back of the fuselage to accommodate the rod tubes. (Make sure your rods aren't in the way of the prop...learned that one the hard way...)
Put E/Z connectors on the servo horns. (I had to unscrew the receiver/servo board and pull it out to remove the fishing line and attach the E/Z connectors.
I put E/Z connectors on the control horns. I put them on the inner most hole (for better response and also because one of my control horns broke at the 2nd hole).
I may replace the control horns with some dubro 1/2A horns.
Also, I just used electrical tape to tape the tubes to the tail boom.
Finally I cut the hinges on the control surfaces and replaced with dubro hinge tape. The control surfaces seemed to require too much force to get large throws.

I had pretty much shelved my skyfly because of lack of response. After making the above conversion I have found that it is now responsive enough to fly low and slow so I can actually improve my flying skills.
Before the conversion I was only really able to safely fly it at higher altitudes because any time I'd bring it in low, the slightest breeze would push it off course and it would always seem to head for the nearest tree...

The dubro pushrod conversion is by far (IMHO) the cheapest most effective change you can quickly make to the skyfly.
Now that I have the more response and greater control throw, I don't see the need for increasing the control surface area.
The only other thing I may do next is convert to Lipo (although I now have 3 NiMh batteries...)

If anyone wants to see pictures of my conversion, let me know and I will post them.

Thanks,

Kevin.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
high flyer 777

Kevin, the conversion sounds great! Yes, I would very much like to see the photos. Are you using the radio
that came with the Sky Fly?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:20 PM
kevinvw1

Everything on the Sky fly is original except for the control rods and hinge tape.
I have had no problems with the radio.
The guy at the local hobby shop ( Porkeez House of Hobbies in Sebastopol, CA ) found a sky fly in a tree. He found out that I had one and gave it to me (pays to shop locally...)
I am going to perform the same conversion on that one and I will take pics and post soon.

Kevin.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:02 PM
high flyer 777

I picked up some control rods at my LHS. Didn't get some EZ connectors though. I'll get some of those too.
It was recommended to use hinge tape on the control surfaces. Did you cut all the way through so you are
only using the tape for a hinge then? I haven't done any of the modi's yet. Too busy squeezing in some of
our hit and miss days of flying here in MN. Fly a couple of my heli's today. Nice, cool, & calm today.
I asked about your radio. I also have a Begin Air that I got for a really good price on Ebay. No radio with
it however. That's o.k. My plan was to get a better than factory radio anyway. Even if it's only a Futuba 4EX
computer radio, maybe a 6X. But that way I could fly all 4 of my planes with it and learn a computer radio.
I want to get the new Futaba 2.4 Ghz FAAST radio next Spring for my heli's.
Would really like to see your photos. What else are you flying?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 PM
edave41

Great ideas guy's. I have a couple large planes (1/4 scale 60 and 90 size glow) I fly, but the nearest field is 30 miles away. I purchased a Skyfly for teaching my daughters and getting air time. I can fly it in large field across from my house. I have been lucky and not had any control issues YET.. I will order my dubro control rods ASAP. I never liked the rubber band returns.

I Love this plane... once you learn how to stay ahead of it with the sluggish controls it's a blast. Even in the wind (as long as it is not gusting) it is fun to fly.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 AM
NavyVet1965

Did you try flying without the landing gesr? a lot better
Old 12-17-2007, 12:54 PM
edave41

Taking the wheels off is my next step.. actually a necessary item, I live in a suburb of Buffalo, NY and landing in 12" of snow does not work well with the landing gear on. I have confirmed the SkyFly will fly great even during heavy snowfall.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 PM
j.m.

he's saying to land it without the gear at all. The fuse will act like a sled. Can someone post pics of the control rod conversion?

And also, if anyone hase done this, How about a conversion of real electronics and a new motor and prop?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:46 AM
high flyer 777

j.m. I've got the parts in hand to do this mod. Just haven't found the
time to get 'er done yet. The thing you have to be careful of is to
make sure when you drill the 2 holes in the rear of the fuselage is
to make sure the 2 control rods are not in the path of the prop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.