Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Second Plane >

Second Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second Plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Plane

Hello everyone

I am just about to go solo on my trainer. I am starting to think about a second plane. Currently I have 4 Hitec 422 servos, Super Slim 8 Channel Receiver, and Flash 5. The engine is an OS 46LA. I want to advance eventually to Patten planes. Currently I am on an AU $5 a week budget as I am only 14. My trainer is a World Models Super Frontier. I like the look of their 40-size mustang.

Simon Kennedy
Old 03-22-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Second Plane

t34 or pc9 make great second planes leave the p51 until later.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:08 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Flying on a budget

ARF's are good to get in the air but can take a while to aquire on your budget. There are many excellent designs avaliable if you learn to build. Some of the British magazines have full size plans for building. Plans are also available from many other magazines. Building will give you skills that will come in handy later and also stretch the current budget.

EXCAP232
Old 03-22-2003, 01:45 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default second plane

Look at the Four Star 40 if you are planning to reuse the engine and radio equipment you already have.
My second plane was a four star and I love it. It will tear holes in the sky but still land almost like a trainer. It sometimes doesn't want to land it just floats along at slow speeds
Old 03-22-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Second Plane

Simon on $5 Aussie a week have a look at www.spadtothebone.com there about as cheap and tough as they come and fly great.

IMHO as a second plane you cant go past a "stick" type plane (spad or otherwise), what club are you in? theres bound to be some one there that can help you with enough info to build a stick, the fuzz is just a box with flat tail surfaces.

any way have a look at SPAD or talk to some of the guys at your club but IMHO dont buy an ARF, on your budget you need to learn how to build your own, Oh almost forgot, foam and brown paper is also a good way of building planes on a budget.

heres a couple of SPAD "stick" type planes

Old 03-23-2003, 08:45 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies

The SPAD idea sounds great. Where can i get the materials from in Melbourne? My Club is Caulfield Racecourse. Limited flying time but 5 minutes from my house.

I have got 5 plans from RCME and have located others in the school library. I didn't pinch them (yet).

I found a PC 9 made by VMAR which was reasonable priced although they are not know for quality just price. Any way the mustang can wait until i can afford a 4 stroke.

I have never seen any SIG plane in Australia, although there have to be some about. The Four Star seems to be VERY popular is the US.

Simon Kennedy
Old 03-23-2003, 10:17 AM

Default Second Plane

SIG kits are available but are a bit $$$$, corflute materials are available from connect plastics in Carrum Downs, most of the other stuff i get from Bunnings or Kmart, the plane bits i get from Addie's hobbies in Mordialoc.

some of the guys from Saturn hobbies fly at Caulfield, thay know about SPAD (but they prefer if you buy one of there balsa kits)
Old 03-23-2003, 02:32 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Second Plane

Like Jeff said the 4* is a great second plane, especially if you plan to get into pattern. Im also looking to get that Mustang and have been looking at it for some time, resist any urges to get it. That can possibly your 3 or 4 but not a second.
The 4* is actually one of the least expensive kits that sig makes.
I dont know anything about Ausy money but if its the same as my neighbours to the south (US) you should be fine. If you can get the kit its alot cheaper and not very difficult to build but requires just a couple tools. (#11 blade, razor saw, sand paper, etc..) This is a great flying plane (so im told, i haven't flown it yet).

Good luck,

Papa