Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"Marie" P-51D

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"Marie" P-51D

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Marie" P-51D

Maybe a wing hanger/carrier that they tossed in?

Do the holes align with the wing bolt holes?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM
goirish

Yup--just tried it. So what do I do with that?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:08 PM
grimmy55

just a question along the same lines I was going to try and fit a cockpit kit got one from tower (top flite) its far to big anyone out there got any ideas where I,ll get one from
Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
capo915

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Cap915,
I would definitely call them, but...... Nitro Planes has developed a reputation for less than stellar service. Many people have complained about their service after the sale. I would call them, but in the end you may find that it will be easier to just fix the problem if you can. But give them a chance first. And who knows?? You may get lucky and they'll take care of you quickly.

Ken
Heres a picture of the damaged part of the wing. As you can see its not a big problem at all but do you suggest I use 30 min EPOXY or CA? Ill post some more pictures of the entire plane later. I was also looking at the manual and the instructions to mount the retract servo is in a space too small. Its right under the middle leading-edge of the wing. Confusing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21912.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	790379  
Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 PM
2HI2C

It will bend on the dotted line, You trim the paper from around the wing bolt area on the bottom of the wing slightly smaller than that piece & epoxy that there with the holes lined up with your holes in the wing. It helps to keep the wing bolts from crushing the wing.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is in a bad place isn't it? That holds the front of the wing in place.

I would just 30 min epoxy that crack in the wing root. I would put some extra fillet material inside to try to anchor the sheeting better.

Look at the other wing too while you are at it.

It would be nice to put some fiberglass cloth across the area after you get the wing together?

Exchanges are almost a no win situation. Its best to lick your wounds and go on. That's life in the mail order world.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:00 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definatly the wing bolt doubler the air scoop should cover it so it won't be seen the bolts will definatly pull through the wing without it.
if you put a small piece of fuel tubing on the wing bolt after you insert them through the wing they are less likely to fall out and get lost.

thats a pretty critical area, I would repair it with epoxy,keep in mind more epoxy doesn't mean stronger so use just enough to do the repair.

w8ye had a great suggestion with some 2" fiber glass tape the wing joint will be quite a bit stronger.

a tecnique that has worked well for me is wet the fiberglass in place with epoxy.

warm the epoxy and it will make it thinner so it penetrates the glass,either by sitting it in a warm pot of water,or a 5sec burst in the microwave.
IMPORTANT!!when zapping epoxy remove the top so it can vent, or it can pop the container and the mess is not cool to clean up.
weather you let it sit in a hot pan of water, or zaping it, the epoxy needs to cool a bit it stays thin for a while but if its hot it will go off and harden faster than the time listed on the container,I zap my epoxy all the time when it gets old and stiff it works well

after the glass is positioned place wax paper over the fiberglass and squeege the exess off,I use paper towels to collect the extra epoxy.
then pull the wax paper after letting it stand for 10-15 min, and any sloppy or exess adhesive you can clean up with denatured alcohol, carefull not to touch the glassed area.

the wax paper will allow you to slide a old credit card over the area without it becoming a total mess and again more epoxy doesn't make it stronger just heavy the strength is in the fiberglass tape, trimming the fiberglass off each side is easy with a exacto knife or if your good enough a moto tool,when the epoxy is hardened, just leave a little extra to hang off the trailing edge,and before you glue the fiberglass trim the glass so the wing locking peg is not impeeded( so it slides into the fuse fully) its pretty easy and will strengthen the wing quite a bit,having a strong wing joint is pretty critical stuff.

a kid brought his plane to our club field his grandfather built it for him,but his GF lost the wing joiner so because it was a present and he wanted his grandson to get it on time, he replaced it with a pencil and didnt remember to fix it later.
one of our club flyers took it up for a maiden and it flew great, handed the transmitter to the kid one hard turn,well lets just call it El Foldo!! it was lawn dart city.
just a little wing story I thought I would toss in there.BT
Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 AM
2HI2C

ORIGINAL: bigtim

definatly the wing bolt doubler the air scoop should cover it so it won't be seen the bolts will definatly pull through the wing without it.
if you put a small piece of fuel tubing on the wing bolt after you insert them through the wing they are less likely to fall out and get lost.

Thank you, For the life of me I could not think of what it was called. O-Rings work well for holding the bolts in.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:40 PM
capo915

Ok guys. Ive got a new one for ya. I went to the club today, flew my extra 300, brought the P-51D for any suggestions and was shocked when a member told me I was able to go to gas engine. WHAT?! I thought. I want to know your alls opinion. Can I realistically put a zenoah 20cc made for .60 size aircraft into this warbird P-51D? I already checked the the weight difference and Im looking at about a pound. The OS with muffler and such is 24oz at 249.99. The zenoah is 41oz (about a pound difference) and runs 339.99. I would rather spend the extra hundred bucks, put it in an engine that is much more fuel efficent. It made me smile thinking of a gas engine in this plane.Do you think it will fit into the cowl? Is it feasible to think it would work well? Are the guys at the field right?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Jester241

Man I'll tell ya....I'm running an O.S. 1.20 4 stroke in my mustang and its at the max of everything as far as its weight and physical size. I had to use shims on my landing gear to get it to taxi nice without tipping over because of the extra weight in the nose,not to mention I had to do some major grinding to my engine mount in order to slide the engine back far enough to get the prop even close to its recommend range away from the firewall(its still almost a half inch too far away),not to mention slide the engine back far enough to mount the cowl. I'm not sure the length,width,height of this gas you talk about as the website I seen didnt specify,but its weight is even 6oz more then my 1.20....and that seems like alot over an already too big engine. I wont say it cant be done,but I wouldnt recommend doing it and I do things most people on here think is crazy. Even if you COULD do it,I dont know if the plane would fly well.

My advice would be stick with your original pick for an engine that you know will fly that plane like a champion and save that extra money and work for a larger "GAS" powered plane that will flying great with it in.

....boy I hated writing this reply because I'm usually all about being stupid and crazy and doing things others wouldnt. So for me to not recommend doing this,it REALLY has to be a crazy idea. Makes me feel like a puss!

LOL
Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 PM
bigtim

first thing that comes to mind is overkill even a Z20 is a bit over powered for that airframe as well as having alot of engine sticking out of the cowl.
for me,just my personal opinion of course, the less engine sticking out of the cowl of a warbird the better,a non cluttered outline with clean lines is my preference.
I wouldnt trust that airfrane to any thing larger than a 120 fs and really the 91fs is a fine match.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:37 AM
3DDevil

Hello All,

I have the P-51 Marie from the AUS equivalent of Nitro Planes. I have a Saito 100 in it with a Keleo Creations scale exhaust. I also run on board glow with oleo struts and scale wheels. She looks great I reckon. I have also put in an Aces of Iron pilot and he looks beaut I reckon...

So my assesment is that the plane flies beautifully with a Saito 100. Normal engine mounts with not bad vibration. I use a three blade prob also... I think a gas motor is overkill...

Here she is....(photos are before pilot entry!!)....

Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 AM
goirish

Does anyone know what color of yellow is used on the P-51 like the one pictured above. I dropped my and broke the horizontal stab. what to recover in the same color. Tried Monokote-too light-Cub yellow too dark-Ultracote-close but not quite. Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
bigtim

its HANU889-dark yellow you can order it from Horizon Hobby http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2375
Old 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM
goirish

When I was at the LHS I opened a hangar 9 p51 and matched the yellow with ultrcote but when I got home it was a little bit darker. The monokote yellow was really light and the cub yellow very dark. Guess I will cover it in black. YUK!!!! Not even sure I can get aluminum to match. Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 11:49 AM
capo915

BobDoe, Where do you have your muffler? It looks like its inverted but I dont see a muffler.

Also if you go to ZENOAH's website it says its built for .60 size engines. Im sorry MOST .60 size engines. At only a 1 lb. heavier. The only problem would be the cowl fit. You wont have overkill if its flown scale-like.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
bigtim

I haven't seen the nitro models up close but for a Hangar-9 it would be overkill the framework of the plane as well as the extra weight doesn't add up,mine balanced perfect with the engine I am using your going to have to move alot of gear to the rear of the fuse for balance or add weight to the tail for that extra pound of engine
I have seen one in a ultra stick which is larger than the stang and they do vibrate a bit as well as having other issues like radio interferance requiring extra care when installing the radio unless your using a 2.4.
the extra weight is also not going to help the chicken leggs for retracts these models have, like I have posted over and over any engine in the 91-125 range is really a perfect match for the airframe,if you want to use the Zenoah then go ahead but your going to have a carb sticking out one side and a muffler out the other the Z 20 is better suited for a P-47,corsair,hellcat,something with a round cowl,every review I have read is that the lighter ARF planes are way overpowered with the small gas engine sure guys stuff em in there its really your choice.