Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

tank trouble

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

tank trouble

Old 10-31-2007, 09:12 PM
joco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tank trouble

the tank on my sky raider m1 seems to not want to come close to fitting do you usually have to do some cutting to make most tanks fit or am im missing something simple? this is my first time putting a tank in
Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: tank trouble

It is not unusual to need to cut some material out of the way to fit a tank. I'm not familiar with the Sky Raider M1. Did the tank come with the airframe? In that case I would be a little surprised if it required much cutting. But if you bought them separately, this could certainly happen. What is the volume of the tank and what is the engine size. perhaps you bought too large a tank for your engine/plane.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 PM
joco1

the tank came with the plane its a 380 cc it says on the side i also purchased a dubro 10 oz tank because after reading on here alot of replys said the tank that came with the plane was known to split but that tank wont even come close that was my mistake because i ordered it just by the pictures because it was similar to the original
Old 10-31-2007, 11:44 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

you can make almost any tank fit,but i would go with a similair shape tank at least.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: joco1

the tank on my sky raider m1 seems to not want to come close to fitting do you usually have to do some cutting to make most tanks fit or am im missing something simple? this is my first time putting a tank in
The tank will fit in but it is tight and too low for an upright engine following the instructions without considerable remodeling. Are you planning to enter the Club 40 Races where you have to use the upright engine mounting. If NOT then I suggest you revamp the engine mounting to a side-mounted engine with a slightly lower thrust line.

If you ARE going to race, I suggest you substitute a Dubb Jett "Bladder Tank" for the one in the kit. Makes all the difference in the world. You can find a cheap 6 0z. syringe in a discount store to fill with and once you learn the basics of bladder tanks, you will wonder why you ever used anything else. No fuel spills and very consistent engine runs.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18194.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	794579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53718.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	794580  
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 AM
joco1

this is a mach 1 not mach 2 like in the picture ive got a evo .52 engine to install would you still do the same with a mach 1?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
nickj

In the two Sky Raiders I've built, the nose of the tank wouldn't quite fit through the hole in the firewall, and I felt it should, so I increased the hole diameter slightly. I don't like the tank design much, either, but it seems to work okay.