Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

magnum engine question,

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

magnum engine question,

Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
JDV500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum engine question,

good evening,

in other post here, it's been recommended to use magnum engines as their cheaper yet reliable alternative to say os or saito in 4 strokes. i can't find a website that supports them and the dealers i do find say that there is no warranty, only limited tech support beyond the purchase.also that asp and magnum are the same vendor, but with the same clause.

on the other hand, os and saito have extensive web support and backing for only $40 /50 bucks more in cost for the same sized engine. my sponsor is telling me to choose the established / name brand and have the peace of mind..
just looking for feedback here.
thanks in adv.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: magnum engine question,

I can't imagine where you are getting such wrong information. Magnum is supported by www.HobbyPeople.net
Their warranty and service is excellent, the products are excellent. Look in the RCU engines forum for a couple of threads on Magnum users. I have run their 46XLS, 91XLS (2 strokes) 52, 70 and 91 4 strokes. I like 'em, and recommend them.

edit: web site correction
Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Magnum has as good a support system as anyone and better than most. I own a number and have had many over the years. Something goes wrong and they stand behind it , not like at least one high end brand that had chrome peeling on their 46's and put some people thru hell trying to keep from doing the right thing when they knew of their problem. Magnum stands behind their product which is quite good.[:@]
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look to a different dealer than the one giving you bum information. Like Jim said, Hobby People/ Global Hobby is the service arm. I have a 52, a 70, and two 91 magnum four strokes and they are all great engines. Hobby People is second to none when it comes to customer support.

Also the price difference is a bit more than $40- $50. Tower sell both brands. The O.S. 91 Surpass is $249.99, and the Magnum 91rfs is $169.99. I have also had O.S. four strokes and I personally can't see the $80 difference between the two. You could, if you wanted bragging rights, put a black OS rocker on your Mag for about $17.

Don
Old 11-04-2007, 11:51 PM
JDV500

thanks for the replies,
my research continues, i've read and heard positive things about the magnum line and am close to pulling out the credit card. it was , up till now my sources lead me to believe that it was a semi serious contender and maybe due to their shop carrying saito specifically, who knows. this site has taken me leap years forward in a very short time and i enjoy having outside current info and tech data and not just my local authorities inputs.
will get into that hobbypeople website mentioned above asap and learn what i can. and i agree, if we all can have a solid engine at a great savings then more power to us all. at my stage in the game, this will be an entry level mod, i'm sure i'll have more questions.

thanks again..
Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know that there is really such a thing as a "bad" engine sold in the United States anymore. I own engines by O.S., Saito, Thunder Tiger, Magnum, Super Tigre, and I like them all. I had a good experience with a GMS .47 engine that I owned, as well.

I have a Magnum XLS .52A 2-stroke that I have run for three seasons along with several O.S. .46 FX/FXi engines, and I consider the Magnum to be equal in terms of power and reliability.

As previously stated, Global Hobby is the distributor for Magnum engines and they provide service and warranty support as well as spare parts. The engines are a good value for the money and Global has a good reputation for customer service.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 AM
JDV500

new question,
which size would be the best choice in a pulse xt or hangar 9 tango, the .70 or the .91.? would the .70 be stronger then the evo.46nt that it will replace.?
thanks in adv...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Magnum 70 would be the better choice. It is smaller and lighter than the 91. The 91 will add too much nose weight
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 AM
JDV500

as far as the exhaust goes on the .70 and .91, does anyone use an aftermarket pipe system, or is the stocker the best way to go as far as making max power.?

thanks in adv.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can take the muffler off and just run the pipe. You will gain 100 - 150 rpm