Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Used planes and kits -- what are they worth?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Used planes and kits -- what are they worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
bob95065

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used planes and kits -- what are they worth?

I answered an ad for some used RC stuff. There are planes and kits that are about 20 years old in various stages of assembly. There was a glider NOS in the box and a Stick 40 NOS in the box both unassembled. There were two glow powered kits that had the wings assembled and one had the fuse assembled and the other fuse was unassembled.

What are these planes worth? I have photos of the boxes if that helps. The seller's father passed away and these are his planes. She isn't sure what to charge for them.

TIA

Bob
Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Used planes and kits -- what are they worth?

I look for stuff at least 50% off. but in this case if they are old and the wood may be a ? I'd offer .20 on the dollar. Dennis

5 off
Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These planes/kits are worth whatever someone that wants them is willing to pay for them. I am a nostalga fan but pass up on many classic kits due to the rediculous price people ask for them. I could probably get a set of plans and scratch build it for about the cost of a modern kit as opposed to the $200 plus some people ask for these classics. A few months ago I got two Ken Wilard design planes already built by a master. The Shool Girl Bipe and School Boy for $75 for the pair. I took them into my LHS to show off my new babbies and an old man that happened to be there offered me $100 for the School Boy... I rejected the offer. Hind site being 20/20 I should have just given it to him as the memories it would have stirred for him would have been worth more to him than the plane could ever be to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62801.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	798190  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 AM
bob95065

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21677.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	798192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31224.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	798193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49708.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	798194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq43909.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	798195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79327.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	798196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13219.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	798197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz53006.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	798198  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
mclina

I'd say that 50 cents on the dollar is probably fair for a new in box kit. For a kit that is partially built, I'd go way down. Once a kit has left it's box, you never know what parts are going to be missing. Probably more like 20 cents on the dollar for those. If these are 40 size kits, figure around $100 each new, then go from there. Maybe $160 for the whole lot would be fair to both parties.

Edit - I replied before you put up the photos. I was only referring to the plane kits. I'm not sure the radio's have much value, but the flight box and accessories are probably worth another $50-$100.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

The fleld box is a VERY nice one. The field box with all the "goodies" in it is easily worth (used ) $50.00

The transmitters are most likely not useable unless they are "Gold Stickered". Gold Sticker means they have been sent in and narrow banded. Even if they are gold stickered, unless the person is a collecter, they have very little value. In any case the batteries will need replacement. For a radio, I would suggest a new one.

This link may provide some help on the kit prices http://members.aol.com/Skylane42a/price.html
If the link provides no help it will be what ever the market will bear. For the kits, I suggest putting them on Ebay for a 7 day auction with a starting price of $9.95 each plus actual shipping costs. Being 20 years old the wood is highly suspect for building purposes. Collecters will be interested though.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Mr67Stang

I recently saw one of those T-Craft Hal De Bolt kits for sale here on RCU. I liked it but was not going to pay the $125 the seller wanted. $75 and I would have snatched it up. But this was an opened but unstarted kit... http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=331935
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
bob95065

The radios are gold stickered. I agree that they aren't really worth the price of new batteries and only worth nostalgia/collector value.

I did get a lot of RC cars for free on craigslist last summer that had a gold Futaba like the one in the picture. It was missing the antenna and crystal. I cut the battery lead and wired a power supply. I made a cable and use it for a RC simulator box on my computer. Pretty good for nothing.

The field box is top quality and full of all kinds of goodies. It has everything you need at the field: Power board, starter, glow connector, two battery checkers and a fuel container and pump. I already have a box so it isn't needed.

The T-Craft Hal De Bolt kit wings are built and covered and the fues is assembled and bare. the other glow kits have assembled wings and kit fuse wood in the box. The glider is completely unassembled.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:18 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on if there in a box and pristine and what model they are is huge,as well as the rarity,for some of the collectable kits like Royal brand they can fetch 2-400$ if there new in the box.
if they have been started and are in a state of assembly then the price of a kit becomes quite a bit less, for kits that are old but are still in production(less are being made now than ever)and there NIB then the retail price is all there worth,if there started and it looks like they have been built well,and you want to finish the kit for yourself then I would think anywhere between 25-100% of the retail price I would think.
the bummer about started kits is there hard to sell if thats your intention on sites such as ebay shipping as well as collectability(people want new/old kits because they want to shove them in a corner and covet there collection,shamefully I do it myself,I haven't gotten to the point where I will be dead before I finish them.
the photos poped up before I finished posting.
looking at what she has, not really much $$, unless you are going to build/finish the models yourself the glider might get a few $$ from ebay as well as that nice looking box.
as for worth the box might be 20-30$,radios-scrap,planes the started ones very little mabee 20$ea.on a good day,the glider 1/2-2/3 retail if she is lucky,all the misc tools and stuff who knows probably another 20$,fuel pumps and mech. stuff they are prety much worthless they go bad fast and leak.
the starter looks like its old and may work but the cone looks old and may need replacing.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I recently saw one of those T-Craft Hal De Bolt kits for sale here on RCU. I liked it but was not going to pay the $125 the seller wanted. $75 and I would have snatched it up. But this was an opened but unstarted kit... http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=331935
I sold one a year or so ago when I decided I was not likely to be building many of the kits I had accumulated over the years. It was "worth" what the buyer was willing to pay. Since new kits are in limited supply, I did not offer it at a bargain price.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

radios are a wash but if you eyeball the wings and started kit parts for straight and true building it can be a fair deal. I won't by a started kit unless I can eyeball the work. generally price falls off quick for started kits. On flat bottom wings that is what you look for a nice FLAT bottom. set it on a flat table if you can to test.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does that flight box have four drop-down legs? If so that's something like a $160 item new and it looks in excellent shape.