Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need a charger how is the MRC 977?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need a charger how is the MRC 977?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Photopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a charger how is the MRC 977?

I am getting back into RC flying and working on a glider now. My only real interest is gliders and eventually planes, very likely electric ones.

I did however happen upon a RC truck at my local thrift store for $10. I need a battery charger for it and was suggested the MRC super brain 977, by folks in the car section.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCJ6

There are cheaper alternatives for the type of battery used in the truck, but if this is a good charger for RC flying purposes, I would pay the price. So is it a good choice for flyers?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Need a charger how is the MRC 977?

It is ok but for a little more the Accu-Cyle Elite will charge your receiver and transmitter battery at the same time.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYD4&P=ML
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the Triton 2 over either of the above options. Yes it only has one output, but it is a lot more capable in terms of cell count and charge rates. It's also $10 less than the accu-cycle. I've had a first generation Triton for almost 5 years and I've never once regretted my choice.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Super Brain 989 that I use with an Electrifly Equinox balancing module for charging LiPos. The 977 is similar in design, but the 989 can handle a wider range of battery packs.

I use my Super Brain charger for cycling TX and RX flight packs and charging all kinds of LiPo, NiCd, and NiMH flight batteries as well. It's been reliable, flexible, and easy to use. Based on my experiences, I believe you'll like your Super Brain 977 a lot!

Unlike the Triton II or Accu-Cycle Elite mentioned above, the Super Brain 977 comes with it's own 10A power supply, so you can run it on AC power as well as 12v when charging or cycling batteries.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good point. I forget about that since I already had the power supply. They're pretty cheap these days though--you can convert a power supply from a PC if you can find one, and new power supplies can be had on ebay for $15-20. I think hobby people has some pretty cheap as well.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

I am ordering one of these
http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/html/cba-chargers.html {The 610C}
A little more expensive than the MRC but has excellent capabilities
including a balance for lipos. if you will be getting into electric
you will soon need a balacer and it will be an exta cost. Plus
this charges up to 6 cells lipo and has current adjustable to 10 amps.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Student Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Unlike the Triton II or Accu-Cycle Elite mentioned above, the Super Brain 977 comes with it's own 10A power supply, so you can run it on AC power as well as 12v when charging or cycling batteries.
I have an Accucycle Elite and it came with its own power supply. Can be run off of that or of a battery, AC or DC. It is my first charger, just used what came with the radio before, and it has been really easy to use and it has a lot of bells & whistles. I like it, but only bought it over the 977 as I got a deal on it. You really can't go wrong with either, just read their specs and decide what you need in a charger.