Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel Leak HELP!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel Leak HELP!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
radelow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Leak HELP!

I went to fuel up my new Tower Trainer 40 today and it turns out there was a leak! Fuel got all over everything except the electronics. Does glow fuel damage the wood??? Thanks

Mark
Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
R/CBOONE72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Leak HELP!

yes, it will rot over time, When it happens to me, I pull every thing out, dry it up as much as possible use a little alchol on it wipe up again, it happens to me on arfs all the time, I hate there tanks sometimes, I just let it be wet alot of the time and fly the sucker. I think they make somthing that can help fuel soaked wood, I don't use it so don't know the name, hopfully someone can post telling you what it is. Its not gonna rui your airplane for life, reality is that you might not even own the airplane long enough for it to be a problem, I have had a trainer for 15 years, counltless full soaks and I don't even really notice it, the wood is dark and soft. it might not be good in high stress airplane though. Your trainer will be fine, watch it for breaks there. Have fun
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Missileman

One leak, soaked up as much as possible right away, is not going to hurt at all.
Long term exposure to nitro fuel and residue is where the trouble is.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 PM
bruce88123

http://www.k2r.com.au/ this is an American product. Available in many stores. Spray it on the effected wood and let dry. Then brush off the residue.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Campgems

You need to find why the tank leaked. My recomendation is to pull the ARF tank and replace it with a Sullivan or Dubro tank. If you tighten the bung down to much, it will split the tank at the opening. The Sullivan and Dubro tanks are not as likely to split or leak. You may need to do a bit of sugery in the fuselage to get the replaement tank in, but it will be time well spent.

Don
Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 AM
radelow

The tank had a hole in it. I found it after removing. Must have happened when the tank was inserted. I will buy a new replacement tank this week. ARGH!!! Thanks for all the great answers thought! I just checked the plane and it is dry in all the ares that were soaked.

Oh and I use K2R on my clothes! Have a couple cans around the house so I will use that. Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 AM
bkdavy

Before putting the new tank in, use either thinned epoxy or finishing epoxy to coat the inside of the fuselage in the area of the tank. This will fuelproof the wood and prevent damage in the future when (not if) you develop another leak. Also drilling a small hole in the bottom of the fuselage will allow fuel to drain out of the compartment and act as a "tell-tale" to let you know if there is another fuel leak.

Brad
Old 03-05-2008, 01:07 PM
RICMOD5634

When that happens to me I pull everthing out and pack it full with Kitty Litter and let it set a couple of days. Then shake/brush out the Kitty Litter. As a for thought, I always spray the inside with fuel proffer when putting things together.