Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Super Tigre or Magnum?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Super Tigre G51
28.57%
Super Tigre GS-45
19.05%
Magnum XLS-46
33.33%
Doesn't make a heck of a difference
19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Super Tigre or Magnum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre or Magnum?

Well everyone talks about the "Ford/Chevy" debate; I have yet to see on on this site =) So, here's a Toyota/Honda, if you will...
I'm a newbie, and poor at that, so I need to pick on of these engines:
Super Tigre G51 Ringed
Super Tigre GS-45 ABC
Magnum XLS-46 ABC

While there are 2 sized of SuperTigre, they seem to put out about the same amount of power due to the differences in construction (ABC vs Ring).

I will be flying a Hobbico Nexstar (.46-.51), with my eyes on a .40-.50 low-wing sport plane for #2.

I don't know how this works, but if you can add any comments, all are encouraged and appreciated - I've heard about a leaky carb in the Magnum, then about the ST so leaky you can't shut it off.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Super Tigre or Magnum?

These are three of the best values in a .46-size sport engine on the market.

The G-45 ABC and the G-51 ringed appear similar in specified power output, but I'm told by folks who have run the G-51 ringed that it is good at swinging larger props like 12x5 or 12x6 at good rpms. The XLS .46A and the G-45 ABC wouldn't be comfortable with props of that size by most accounts.

You'll be happy with any of the three. The G-45 ABC is the least expensive of the three, comes with a glow plug and a three year warranty, and is a top performing engine in its size range. I'd happily own any of the three, but if you really want the best engine for the least amount of money, I don't know why you'd need to spend an extra $5 to $15 to get either of the other engines.

The G-45 ABC will provide gobs of power for a Nexstar ARF and will be a great fit for any of the .40-size sport planes you might consider after flying the wings off of your trainer.

If you do spend another $5 to $15, you won't be out anything but a few bucks. The XLS .46A and the G-51 ringed are great sport engines as well.

Good luck and good shopping.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it hasn't been mentioned, the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro is only about $25.00 more than the Magnum and runs like an OS .46 AX. There is the Evolution .46 too. I have the Evolution .61 and its probably the strongest running .61 I've had off a tuned pipe. I've seen several of the Evolution .46's and they seem to be strong, very good runners and dependable - no problems out of them.

Hogflyer
Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Missileman

Going back to your first thread.
You said you plan on buying from Tower for various reasons.
Right now the Magnum is the only engine Tower has in stock. The rest of your list Tower says late March but that is a maybe.So your choice may already be made for you unless you want to wait and see if more come in.
Magnum would be my choice based on personal experience, I have both brands and I have had much more problems with Super Tiger
I would Second Hogflyers suggestion of the Thunder Tiger Pro46, IMO far supperior to any you have listed and on par with the OS 46AX
In fact if the Thunder Tiger Pro46 and OS 46AX were the same price I would still lean toward the Thunder Tiger.But as it urns out the TTPro cost less than the OS.
That said I know it is not on your list but had to be mentioned.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Magnum XLS .46 runs just like an OS .46AX

Run a couple tanks through it for break in and go fly it. Easy to tune. Easy to start. Good power for a sport engine.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've never had a Magnum, but I hear that they are fine engines, at least the four stroke ones. I did, however own a Super Tigre 75. What I saw was that it leaked raw fuel, but ran just fine. But I did have some strange problems with it. The baffle inside the muffler came loose.. rattling around. Sounded like a jingle bell in flight. I called I think it was Horizon.. the distributor anyway, and told them about this. They immediately sent me a new replacement muffler. I got it in about three or four days. Good service. I replaced it and flew. Three or four tanks later.. gingle bells again. So, I called them back and their suggestion was to go to a tuned pipe arrangement.

I ended up calling MACS and ordering a header and tuned pipe. That was fairly expensive considering the cost of the engine. But it worked out fine and did increase the power output.. as though I needed it. Anyway, the total cost of this excursion equaled the cost of a new OS engine and I probably would have gone that way had I known of the issues I faced with the Super Tigre.

But, all in all, the Super Tigre started fine, ran well, and provided me good power with or without the tuned pipe. Those raw fuel leakes coming right out of the carb, by the way, were a bit of a pain, but I just ignored it and flew the plane. Oh, it was a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF, by the way.

CGr.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

Well everyone talks about the "Ford/Chevy" debate; I have yet to see on on this site =) So, here's a Toyota/Honda, if you will...
I'm a newbie, and poor at that, so I need to pick on of these engines:
Super Tigre G51 Ringed
Super Tigre GS-45 ABC
Magnum XLS-46 ABC

While there are 2 sized of SuperTigre, they seem to put out about the same amount of power due to the differences in construction (ABC vs Ring).

I will be flying a Hobbico Nexstar (.46-.51), with my eyes on a .40-.50 low-wing sport plane for #2.

I don't know how this works, but if you can add any comments, all are encouraged and appreciated - I've heard about a leaky carb in the Magnum, then about the ST so leaky you can't shut it off.

Thanks!!!

Hello FatOrangeKat. Talking from experience here. I absolutely hate my Super Tigre 45. I spent much of my time at the field messing with that stupid engine than I did flying. I am not exaggerating at all about this, I go to the field for at least 5 - 6 hours when I go and spent about 20 minutes setting up, get the engine started and taxi out for it to stall when I turned to take off, bring it back start it up and repeat the stall. Then me and 3 -4 others would try to get that STUPID Filth Flarn Filth engine set and finally get it done and be able to fly it after a couple hours. Trust me this didn't happen because of lack of knowledge of the engine or experience of flyers. That engine was a nightmare. I have sent it back twice and it still does it. I can never go to the field and make a minor adjustment on the high end to meet the needs of adjusting temperatures. It is always that big of a nightmare. Then I got the Magnum 46 and it is a kitten. I purrs. Now I have definitely noticed the power is a much as the Super Tigre but man was the engine easy to break in. I have it since January and have only had to turn the high end up or down very sparingly do to weather. I absolutely swear by the Magnum. Now the only problem that I have with the Magnum is there are no seals on the muffler. So you have to buy some high temperature gasket maker from an auto store, about $5 a tube, and put it on the ends where the bolt goes in and comes out and where the two halves meet. Besides that, that is my only complaint. If you don't put that gasket maker on it you will be cleaning up a big mess. The muffler leaks like a stuck pig. So after my autobiography, lol, I highly suggest the Magnum.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Fly or Die

If you're looking for a low-wing sport plane for your second I'd probably go with the Magnum, from what I hear they're great engines for the price and can last a long time if well kept (as any engine really)

Good Luck!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Gary L.

I have 2 Super Tigre .45's, and love them both, no problems at all..
Old 03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Jetdesign

(I think) I'm going with the Super Tigre .45.
I downloaded the manuals for the engines I can afford. The ST manuals have wonderful break-in directions, which are very easy to understand for a new flier. It comes with a 3 year warranty, and I even called tech support for a question and got fantastic customer service. The power difference between the .45 and .51 seems almost negligible, and the .46 will fit easier in .40 size planes. I like the idea of higher rpm's over the .51 for speedy flying. Last, the Super Tigre engines are a great deal, and are even designed to use 10% nitro fuel for break-in, with a synthetic blend of lubricant, while Magnum calls for a 20% Castor Oil lubricant for break-in.

My only hesitation comes from Missleman's difficulties with Super Tigre; other people with a good amount of flying experience seem to have no reservations with Super Tigre.

Thanks for all the input. Now hopefully Tower will get them in on schedule! They're actually out of stock on many engines in this size, which makes me think they've got to do something about that. If not, Magnum is a good (in stock) second choice.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Missileman

Don't let my problems with ST affect your choice.
I have not owned that size Super Tigers mine were all larger.
The worst being a G90, idled beautifully and plenty of power at full throttle but could not get a good mid range, I dead sticked just about every time I flew it. I have read threads were people have replaced the carb with an OS carb but I couldn't find a direct replacement for the G90, Don't remember where I saw it but there is a cross refference chart for replacing ST carbs with OS carbs and just about every model was on there except the G90.
From all reports on ST the biggest problem is getting them tuned in, from what I have heard not all ST models are as picky as with everything in life you can get good ones and bad ones.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.perrypumps.com/prod01.htm

This is a listing of Perry carbs for different size engines. I had thought about it for my 90 ST. My 45 St's (2 of them) run flawlessly. The 90 is a tad finnicky, but I would bet as much on the muffler as anything else.
The Perry carbs seem to be fairly priced, but I have no experience with them.
I also run all my engines both 2 stroke and 4 stroke on 10% / synthetic oil Morgan fuel. They all seem to run well on it, the 52 and 91fs, 45,75,90 2strokes.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FatOrangeKat:
The power difference between the .45 and .51 seems almost negligible, and the .46 will fit easier in .40 size planes. I like the idea of higher rpm's over the .51 for speedy flying. Last, the Super Tigre engines are a great deal, and are even designed to use 10% nitro fuel for break-in, with a synthetic blend of lubricant, while Magnum calls for a 20% Castor Oil lubricant for break-in.
The Super Tigre is a main topic on these forums over and over. Mostly because it is unique in its features and is NOT an OS Clone like so many other engines, some of which try to combine OS and ST features, and do neither justice.

I have used ST first for Cl and later RC, since the first one I ever saw, G-35, in Plattsburgh NY, 1961, while TDY there at the USAF base as an Umpire in the Strategic Air Command, 8th AF, bombing compitition. In addition I have used most every brand ever introduced since then up until around 2000+ because I now just stick with my old favorites, where ST is still the top of the list.

When John Maloney, World Engines, sold the IMPORT Rights to OS and ST to Great "Pains" in 1985, things soon began to change. First, GP deleted the carb restrictor which made the 40-51 much easier to tune. For mine and some friends, I still make them. In the search for a few hundred more RPMs the boring out venturis of the carbs has decreased carb. efficiency, thus making the engine less popular among the newer generations that expect everything to be plug and play. Of course then GP can sell you the high-priced spread -- the OS!

When GP bought out ST from the original Italian family and moved the operation to China, well 'nuff said about that. [:'(]

For those that have problems with ST 90 and such, try adding enough Castor Oil to increase your oil content to 20%, or close. I run 5-10% Wildcat syn./castor mix in sport engines. WC 5% comes with 16% oil. Not enough for a ST 90. Add CASTOR. The 10% WC with 18% syn/castor will do for a well run-in 90, however if you wish to lug a BIG prop, better add some castor. Reducing the compression has not yet shown me any real help in the nitro thing for the .90.
Yes when I first started going larger than the .75s (which never gives any problems) to the .90s, I too did the carb thing in all manners. Then after all those years of playing with STs, right here on an RCU forum someone said that the ST.90 does NOT like much nitro. Experiments with added oil, and less nitro proved to be the ticket for the .90. I have several, two in use, and they just do whatever I need.

BTW that ST .45ABC is a real performer. DO NOT use normal break-in procedures on any true ABC. Only a couple runs using a small prop -- I suggest a 9-6 wide blade, like maybe a cut down 11-6 wood -- and fast runs. Then go fly. ABC is a whole 'nother game when comparing to a ringed engine.

BTW, with the current ST muffler, don't push the muffler up to the engine as far as it will go. Too much back presure/blowback on the acceleration from idle to full power. Either hang the muffler far out or better is to cut that pipe so it extends as little as possible into the muffler for your installation. Some I just cut at a 45* and that seems to be fine, especially if the muffler is not up by the engine.

One more BTW: The 40-45- and 51 are all the same case. They fit the same mounts. No diff. in the model fit.

Best of luck in your modeling.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Missileman

Good to hear some more suggestions for the G90. I think I will have to dig mine out and give her another shot
Old 03-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Gary L.

Missileman , you dont want that old thing........ just throw it my way and I'll discard it for ya...
Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Jetdesign

quote "BTW that ST .45ABC is a real performer. DO NOT use normal break-in procedures on any true ABC. Only a couple runs using a small prop -- I suggest a 9-6 wide blade, like maybe a cut down 11-6 wood -- and fast runs. Then go fly. ABC is a whole 'nother game when comparing to a ringed engine."

ST gives some pretty specific break-in instructions in the manual. Is this suggesting to not follow their directions?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

quote "BTW that ST .45ABC is a real performer. DO NOT use normal break-in procedures on any true ABC. Only a couple runs using a small prop -- I suggest a 9-6 wide blade, like maybe a cut down 11-6 wood -- and fast runs. Then go fly. ABC is a whole 'nother game when comparing to a ringed engine."

ST gives some pretty specific break-in instructions in the manual. Is this suggesting to not follow their directions?
You do as you please. I do! I seldom pay much attention to school-solutions written for the lowest common denominator.

OTOH, I may well investigate new information as I spoke about concerning the ST 90, and sometimes I find I am in need of corrective direction, whereas I try to NOT ignore that which works better than I was previously doing. [8D]

As an old time CL/FF competition flier seeking peak performance, and even after I became very competitive, when I moved to the Chicago area in '68, I found a world of specialized modelers that were very professional in their specialties. I just had to soak up as much as I could, yet it was never enough.

Search up some of the CL speed fliers and/or pylon racers in your area. Find out how to make an ABC engine perform as it was designed to do, rather than be just an every-day sport engine for the masses.

Again, good luck.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been using a G51 which I got used with little or no use. It is a made in Italy model so may be different. A few things I noticed is that it took forever to get broken in (ring), but once it did it ran real smooth and idled very low. Hossfly mentioned the carb restrictor. I didn't know that they ever had one, but it is probably a good idea. The ventury on this engine is much bigger than anything in it's class and even .60 size engines. I'm sure that is where problems with tuning come in. I believe the carb leaking is simply blowback out of the carb, which may possibly be remedied with a short piece of tubing on the carb to act as a velocity stack and keep the air going in one direction.

Rod S
Old 03-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Jetdesign

I would like to note that the guy who started this forum (me) took all your advice and bought an OS 46AX.[sm=lol.gif] Thanks!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:15 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Good, you passed on the Honda and Toyota and got a Chevy!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Good, you passed on the Honda and Toyota and got a Chevy!
I believe that would be a Ford, MinnFlyer; I got an O.S.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

I would have bought the Thunder Tigre Pro 46 before I spent the extra money on the OS!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Flight Risk

ORIGINAL: happypappy

I would have bought the Thunder Tigre Pro 46 before I spent the extra money on the OS!
I know you won't go wrong with that OS. A super engine.

RS
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Jetdesign

I don't know why but something about a Japanese made engine sounded better than one made in Taiwan. Also, the manual is much better written/easier to understand for OS.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: happypappy

I agree and love the Thunder Tiger Pro engines but part of his decision was based on the remote needle valve, he just doesn't want his fingers that close to the prop. When he gets more comfortable around these engines the TT Pro could be a good choice in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.