Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
read an article about turning the engine to diesel? >

read an article about turning the engine to diesel?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

read an article about turning the engine to diesel?

Old 03-08-2002, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default read an article about turning the engine to diesel?

in the latest rc magazine, i saw an add where you could turn the engine into a diesel engine. It went onto say that you would of course not use glow fluel anymore, and other things. which is better, turning it to diesel or leaving it on glow fuel? from what the add said its more quiet, better fuel economy, and prolly cheaper then glow fuel? or is glow fuel very cheap? any help on this?

Josh aka newbie
Old 03-08-2002, 08:39 PM

Diesels have the advantages you qouted but have two large disadvantages. They are very messy (much more so that glow) and the fuel is not readily, avialable although not hard to mix. Also the fuel contains ether which is not very nice to smell. Just my opinion but I would stay with glow. I did run deisels about 35 yrs ago when I was looking for more torque (wish the spell check worked). I'm not sure of relative cost for the fuel.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:08 PM
My Feedback: (18)

fitties,

Forget about that and get that kit put together with a good little 2-cycle glow engine! Do you want your plane to run like a race car or a city bus!
Old 03-08-2002, 10:43 PM

I do not know where your workshop is but diesel fuel will stink your house out, as well as the car.

Mind you, if the family likes the smell of oily ether you are on a winner.

Ed S
Old 03-08-2002, 11:35 PM

I fly diesels and glow engines. I only began with the diesels after about 40 years with the glow engines. Here are some observations I would pass on: as a beginner, stick with something the guys at your field who will be helping you are familiar with; glow engines are more predictable in many ways than diesels, hence easier to learn with; they do stink, although some of that is controllable with a great deal of extra effort and care. The fuel cost is a "wash" because the diesel fuel costs more but the engines use a little less. Although you don't need ignition batteries, you will need to learn how to handle diesel fuel in a way so as not to lose the ether content. But if you fly certain events--especially endurance events--diesels have an inherent advantage. Or if you want an engine to turn a much bigger prop (at a correspondingly much slower speed) in order to get high torque and steady power, diesels are fine. I like mine; I also like my glow engines.