Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Club Dues

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Club Dues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 PM
ugpdfw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club Dues

I was just curious what you pay for dues yearly.

The cheapest that is around my area is $100 a year, does that sound about right?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Club Dues

$36.00 plus AMA subscription.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Our local clubs range from $25 per year to $55 per year in addition to required AMA membership.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello,

both the clubs i belong to are $60 a year but 1 has an initiation fee (for your first year) for a total of 100.00 there after it is $60 a year. but to have a nice place to fly thats well taken care of is well worth that or more.

bassman
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM
ugpdfw

Hmm, the $100 that is being requested does not include start up fee of $50, so first year $150. Then $100 each addt. year. The club is 10mins from my house. But seems kinda high?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

ug,

what do they offer for the $100 ? is it a really nice field with blacktop or concrete runways ? multiple runways, buildings and equipment that need upkeep?

we have a nice field (huge... they fly jets and some VERY large planes IE 14 ft WS 98lbs [X(] )but it is a grass field that needs to be mowed a couple times a week. plus gas, maintanance so on so forth. building up keep so if you think about it it really isnt that bad a price if its a nice field.

bassman

P.S here is a link to our club website with pics. http://www.fdl-aa.com/ check out the link to carl bachhuber's site this man can build some nice planes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 PM
carrellh

Our club www.greenvillerc.com dues are $40 per year with no initiation fee. I live in Garland and the field is 45 miles away. It would be the other side of the earth for you. Most of the Dallas area clubs are up to $200, or more, for the first year and $100 or more after that. You might be far enough west to check the Fort Worth area.

If you find a cheaper club, but it's further away, you'll spend the difference buying gas to go to the cheaper club.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We just built a new flying field and formed an AMA Chartered club this year. Our dues are set at $100 per year. But we have an 80 acre lot that we lease to fly in, and have a paved 40' x 400' runway that can be flown off of in both the morning as well as the evening.

Ken
Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$100 first year initiation/buy in plus $60 annual dues. Manditory AMA ($58 or$60) and IMAA ($25) annually.

And you gotta mow two or three times per year.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
ugpdfw

Well without giving to many details, since its one of only a few options. Its one landing strip, its run by someone else and they lease it. I am not sure how many members are currently there.

Im by no means bashing.. Id love to join.

Though, mand. AMA $60
1st year $150 = $210 . I just waned to see what others were paying, I wasent sure if there was such thing as a high end club/ field?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, up there in Big Oil country, ya' gotta' expect big $$. Down here in lesser land, NE Houston, most every club is $100+ with different first year requirements. My club, www.jetero.com, is $150 per year, + AMA with $50 first year initiation.

Pluses are out in country, Club OWNS 50 acres flat farmland surrounded by mostly same. Blacktop frontage on west side. 4000+ sq. ft. metal shelter over concrete, indoor rest facilities, water, electrics, W/C accessable flying station, and a 100 x 600 ft. grass runway with contract mowing.

Really, when one spends hundreds thousands of $$$ to have nice flyable airplanes, IMO a couple hundred yankee $$ per year ain't all that bad to have a nic place to fly. OTOH, paying $4.50 per gallon for diesel to get back and forth, that does irritate me a tad bit!!! [:@]
Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Campgems

Our club's dues are $65 a year for standard members. No first year fee. Like they pointed out before, the upkeep and improvements is what determines the membership fees. Our club tries to keep a reserve of around $18,000. We have a 50 x 500 blacktop runway with a paved pit and ready line. I just saw the bill from 2001 where we paved the pits and ready line. That bill alone was $11,600. Since June of 99, we have spent over $5200 in maintance on the paved areas. We have also done a rebuild on the farm lane leading to our field a couple years back. This year, we are looking at a $5000 rebuild on the construction trailer that is our pilots lounge and club house. We have mowing and weed control cost as well as maintance on fencing and flight line barriers, field tables and other little items. This is financed all on membership dues and we have an active membership of less than 100 people. Looking ahead, once we have the last two imporvments completed, and if we can keep our reserves up, we may cut dues.

One of the reasons we keep the reserve is that we are in earth quake country. We had one a couple years back the killed two people in a building colapse. We have a pond of about four acre size right above our field and if it were to rupture in a quake, there is a good chance a portion of our runway would wash away. We need to be prepaired for that. Given the price of the pits, or reserves are probably to low.

We have the Honey Hut maintance 0nce a month, and a few other out of sight out of mind expenses.. All of these things have to be funded by the dues. Some culbs require a number of hours work in addition to the dues. I believe this is a good idea because we have only seven or eight of us who do the work at the field. Yesterday, one of our ex members was out and when I left, he was doing weeding duty on the flight line barriers. The median age of our members is on the high side, around 58. The medan age of those of us maintaining the field is closer to 70. That translates into sweat equity is replaced by the check book on a lot of things.

So, given all this, complaining about one club costing $40 a year more than another is kind of dumb. At $100 a year, that is less than $2 a week. You probably can't drive to the field for $2 today, let alone get home. I personally have a 58 mile round trip to the field, and I try to fly thee days a week minumum. You can do the math at $4.25 a gallon which is what we are looking at here. $65 a year seems a very good bargan in my mind.

Don
Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

We pay $50 per year with a $10 initiation fee for new members. After July 1, dues are cut in half. After November 1, they go back up, but apply to the following year.

We have two fields, and with gas and maintenance costs, we expect to pay a minimum of $2500/year for rent and contributions (Church where the club meets and another Church that rents one field to us, Field rent on the second field, fuel for the mower). With an average of 65 members for the past couple years, we're just barely breaking even.

Brad
Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 AM
da Rock

worried about the cost to you?

Check out the cost to the club. One club near here pays about $1,500/year for their lease and is asked to keep the access road adequately graveled. The gravel costs about $1,500 each application and lasts a couple of years.

How do "they" pay for it? A very few members run a couple of contests a year. They make a few hundred each contest. Another member runs a flyin. It makes slightly better money. Another member runs a swap meet and pulls down serious money. So basically, only a few of "them" pay for the field. The dues are roughly $7/month. They recently had to put a new roof on the big clubhouse, repair and repaint the equipment building, and cleanup and repair the two portajohns. A couple of guys did that for what the materials cost.

It's sensible to look for value for your costs. But look at what you're actually getting. And what you're paying for it. Some bargains cost more than others.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM
pkevinb

I pay $30 at one club and $20 at another club so $50 per year. Unfortunately we can only fly at the one club on Wed. & Sat. and at the other on Wed. & Sun., so I can only fly 3 times per week which stinks, especially if rains one of those days. Around here $20 - $30 dues seems to be the norm.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Birman

The dues at our club is $50/yr and $25/yr for seniors. There is no joining fee. We have a beautiful 4 acre grass field with close cropped grass and a heated "Hanger" for winter time flying. It is isolated from any homes so noise isn't a problem. We have people from quite a distance joining our club to take advantage of the great flying conditions.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 AM
2daysoff

No Initiation fee. 65$ a year with a 100 member cap and current AMA card. Great bunch of members and not to crowded [link=http://www.txwings.com/]Texas Wings[/link]
Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 PM
jetmech05

Club dues are based on several things...
1. who owns the land the club flys from...
2. what does the club pay for land up keep
3. what does the club offer ie electricity, water, etc...
4. how many free activities does the club offer
5. does the club give out awards for solo, all season flier etc

100 a year is not un heard of...if the club owns or leases the land with asphalt runways,electricity, and water....
I've paid 45 a year for a grass strip, no water or electricity...but a great club..now I pay 25 a year for asphalt runways water and electricity and another great club (city owned land)...
Hope I helped you
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Our club (Georgia Model Avaitors) Full Membership Dues are $200.00 annually, plus $50.00 Site Development fee for the first year. AMA membership required. We do offer a reduced fee weekday only flying membership. We have a great field with both paved and grass runways, areas for park planes and helicoptors, covered pit area, electrical power in pit for battery charging, and we are now building a club house. Our club web site is:

http://www.gmarc.com/

Bruce
Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 PM
opjose

$90.00 for the entire family plus AMA dues.

I'd gladly pay double that ( sshh... I hope no one from my club hears this! ) because of the good job the club does.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was in Calif. most the clubs were between $50.00 and $100.00. One club I flew at in events was A $300.00 buy in and $100.00 A year. A lot depends on what they have in the way of A field. The $300.00 buy in club was very nice but the high price was because it cost each founding member that much to get the club started and the runway paved. They keep improving the club over time so new members are required the same fee to keep things moving along. If you lived in the area it was well worth the price.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:14 PM
SKYHI1

My club is the Grundy Area Aeromodelers. New member pays $100.00 ($40 of this goes to the initiation
fee). Adult renewal is $60, Junior member is $5.00 (with adult sponsor). You are required to be a membeer in good standing with the AMA. This requirement is for insurance purposes.

Have a good flight!
Frank
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Adui

My club is blessed with a very nice field. I quote our home page "RC flyers enjoy a 500 x 24 foot paved runway, 500 x 20 grass runway, paved taxiways, 6 flying stations and a fenced pit area with frequency board and individual pit tables. The Control-Line area includes one paved donut and a grass circle with paved takeoff strip. Both fields have electricity on-site with underground irrigation systems and feature safety fencing and attractive landscaping. "

All taken care of by theEvergreen Aviation and Space Museum free of charge, so our dues go only to club events and such. That means we only pay $20 a year, plus AMA.

If you are interested you can see our webpage at www.egam.org
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM
rockerdude22

ORIGINAL: RCKen

We just built a new flying field and formed an AMA Chartered club this year. Our dues are set at $100 per year. But we have an 80 acre lot that we lease to fly in, and have a paved 40' x 400' runway that can be flown off of in both the morning as well as the evening.

Ken
40x400?? thats kind of a small length. I think ours is 40x700. we dont use all the runway though. We do need it though since we have the most jet flyer outs of all of Oregon.