Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Making Dubro Spinner fit with prop

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Making Dubro Spinner fit with prop

Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
ser00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making Dubro Spinner fit with prop

Hi everybody,

I have a quick question. I have several planes that I would like to place Du Bro nylon spinners on (2.25, 2.5 and 2.75 inch). I use APC props (11x6) and I notice that the spinner will not seat on the back plate because the prop hole on the spinner does not match the profile of the root. How do I make the spinner and prop play nice with each other? Do I take out the Dremel and cut on the spinner to make the prop fix properly? Also, would a master airscrew prop with the spinner with modification to the spinner? My main concern is that if I do not make exact cuts on both sides of the spinner, then the spinner will be out of balance and the engines will wear out faster. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Making Dubro Spinner fit with prop

Do the best you can to get the holes the same shape and size, and do not let the spinner touch the prop. A plastic spinner isn't going to get that much out of balance, if at all, if you are careful.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 PM
r2champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little trimming with the Dremel is the best option. Just don't cut so much that you weaken its integrity. Also try to cut equally on both cutouts to maintain balance as well as possible.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I make up A paper template to keep things even on both sides. I don't use plastic spinners so keeping the spinner in ballance takes some time. PLUS THEY GET HOT FAST!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One technique a beginner can use when opening up the holes in a spinner is fairly easy to do right.

Use an exacto and take say two cuts out of one hole. Then go to the other hole and take an identical two cuts. Test fit. Repeat.

Another technique that works is to make a template for the hole shape you think will work. Transfer it to both holes. Make sure it's the same on both sides. Measure to be sure. Then trim both sides to the marks. Obviously, you won't need to do the 2cuts/side deal. But if the new holes aren't big enough, you can then do the two cuts/side deal.

Actually, you don't have to be a beginner to do either.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:32 PM
rockerdude22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with the same prop and spinner. all I did was took a peice of sandpaper and sanded out the prop hole until it fitted on the prop. took me about and hour of sanding but worked out nicely. good luck.

Tyler