Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Just doesn't line up

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Just doesn't line up

Old 05-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Mikeis45
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just doesn't line up

I am building an Ultimate 40 ARF from Nitroplanes and need some more help! I need to install the throttle linkage from the carb. to the servo and there is no instructions in the manual for it. I drilled a hole through the firewall to feed the piano wire but it is in no way even close to being near the servo. The space I have is limited to work with. I put a hole just about in line from the carb. but the wire is like 1 1/2" to 2" to high at the other side. The fuel tank would be in the way if I tried to go lower or deeper inrto the fuse. Any ideas as to how I can bend up the linkage to fit? I thought that I could make a big Z bend near the servo but thought I would ask if there wasa better way to di it. Has anyone had to deal with this?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Just doesn't line up

You can bend it any way you need to make it work.
We often use a flexible cable for the throttle for that very reason.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, you can put a bend in the wire after it exits the firewall. I do this all the time to get the linkage to smoothly link up at the carb.

Ken
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Mikeis45

How would a flexable cable work? I'm not sure I have ever seen one on a model. Wouldn't it just bend instead of pushing or pulling the throttle- I know that sounds dumb... I guess I think of cars and their throttle linkages but they use return springs.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Mike, I have a cable on my trainer and it works great. its flexable so it can bend over the tank and get to the servo.. I'm not sure how or why these work but they do, Im going to use one on my tiger 60 Im building... James
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How would a flexible cable work? I'm not sure I have ever seen one on a model. Wouldn't it just bend instead of pushing or pulling the throttle?
It has to be contained for most of its length in a rigid sleeve (Derlin, Nylon, etc.)

Great trick for throttles is to bend a large "U" turn in the wire (mind the prop clearance).
Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Missileman

Flexible cables have on outer casing that is secured at both ends. Picture the the choke and throttle cables on a push mower or the shift cables on a 10 speed bike, same principle.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Mikeis45

o.k. I'll look into one. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll have this this in the air soon.
Mike