Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Spektrum Buddy Box...Anyone?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spektrum Buddy Box...Anyone?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum Buddy Box...Anyone?

For those of you who don't know, I am the flight training coordinator for our club. With the advent of Spektrum, we've had more students needing the JR type buddy cords and boxes; however, I am having a terrible time getting these things to work. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong:

I have a DX6i at home that I'm using for testing as the master transmitter. I also have an S400 trainer box that I'm using for the buddy box. I plug the buddy cord into the master, and when I plug it into the box I'm getting the battery lights. I've also inhibited the timer function on the trainer switch of the 6i. I can control the aircraft on the 6i like normal, but when I flip the trainer switch I'm getting nothing. I remember using these boxes for a DX7 once last year and they worked. Of course, the DX7 had that menu you needed to get into to activate the trainer function. What the heck am I doing? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Spektrum Buddy Box...Anyone?

This is probably a basic answer but it could apply. As you know, most buddy box operation with a computer radio as the master, and a computer radio as the slave, they both must be set up exactly the same. I don't know about your setup because I am unfamiliar with the JR radio you discuss in your OP.

To be honest with you, I have not yet set up my DX7 for use as a master on a buddy box situation. All I know is that when two computer radios are in use, they must be set up exactly the same. If this means they will not work at all or will work strangely, I don't know. I ran into this with my Airtronics way back when, and ended up using the computer radio as master and a regular, non-powered buddy box as the slave, and there were no computer controls available with the buddy box setup this way.

If you find out, (other than as a reply) please forward the info. It would be good to know the setup to make it work.

CGr.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Nathan,
Adui just posted his experiences with this. See his post here and see if helps you out.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7583991/anchors_7583991/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7583991[/link]

Ken
Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Nathan,
Adui just posted his experiences with this. See his post here and see if helps you out.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7583991/anchors_7583991/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7583991[/link]

Ken
Hmm, okay. That explains why I could get this working with the DX7. I guess I'll just bring my 6i on training nights. I don't know how I missed that post.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Adui

I should qualify my post by pointing out this was a BENCH test to get the control surfaces working with the Master and the slave correctly. Ive not put it in the air with this yet, but then I havent yet range tested or flown my new spectrum, Stupid rain
Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our club just bought two new JR Sport SX400 trainer box setups to help support all of the DX6i owners that are going to start showing up. [:@]

We can use the buddy boxes for the JR 9303, SX600, DX7 and probably with the new DX5e that will be shipping with the new Alpha 40 RTF, but not with the DX6i? The DX6i training manual is clear as mud on this point. To quote:

"TRAINER

The DX6i offers a Trainer function that allows the transmitter to operate as a master or slave. The trainer switch is
located on the back left of the transmitter.

MASTER

The transmitter can be used as a master but the slave transmitter must have the same programming (i.e. reverse,
travel adjust, dual rates, mixes, sub trims, etc.) as the master.

SLAVE MODE (CONVENTIONAL)

When using the transmitter as a slave with another DX6i it’s necessary to match all the programmable settings (i.e.
reverse, travel adjust, etc.)."

If Nathan uses his DX6i to buddy box with students, he has to change his radio programming for each student to exactly match their radio configuration? That's pretty freakin' outrageous!

I love the product description for the buddy box at Horizon's Web Site:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JSP98140

"Works with any Spektrum, JR, or JR Sport Transmitter."
Old 06-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Adui

You know, I didnt think to try it as a slave to the Quatro before I removed the 72MHZ reciever from the plane.. Should have I suppose..

If Nathan uses his DX6i to buddy box with students, he has to change his radio programming for each student to exactly match their radio configuration? That's pretty freakin' outrageous!
Well the manual does state this, however when I tested the theory with my 6102 as a slave it worked fine without changing the programming, with the sole exception that the trims were way out and required matching. I will note that the 6102 had already pretty much been set up for my airplane though.
Note: just set my 6102 to my FMS mode, its backwards on the reversing of throttle and a couple others from my live plane. You DEFINATELY need to be sure you have these things set up the same, it WILL control per the slave settings with the trainer switch pulled up, (EG Throttle at idle went full when I lifted the switch)

I bench ran the system and went back and forth from Dx6i (master) in control to 6102 (slave) in control at various throttle settings and it seems good. The control surfaces worked correctly, however I didn't match back and forth as you usually don't give it to a student till its strait and level. (At least my instructors never did, I was expected to match throttle best as I could then take over flying from strait and level) Worst case you program one of each ten model slots for the systems you are training to and that way you wont need to reprogram as often.

I think next time Im out and theres other fliers there I will fly it buddy corded just to see how it works in flight. When I do I will add a report. All in all its disappointing that it wont work master to a non computer radio, but in my case I already had a computer radio set up specifically for the slave side of the trainer system, so it did not matter.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Our club just bought two new JR Sport SX400 trainer box setups to help support all of the DX6i owners that are going to start showing up. [:@]

We can use the buddy boxes for the JR 9303, SX600, DX7 and probably with the new DX5e that will be shipping with the new Alpha 40 RTF, but not with the DX6i? The DX6i training manual is clear as mud on this point. To quote:

"TRAINER

The DX6i offers a Trainer function that allows the transmitter to operate as a master or slave. The trainer switch is
located on the back left of the transmitter.

MASTER

The transmitter can be used as a master but the slave transmitter must have the same programming (i.e. reverse,
travel adjust, dual rates, mixes, sub trims, etc.) as the master.

SLAVE MODE (CONVENTIONAL)

When using the transmitter as a slave with another DX6i it’s necessary to match all the programmable settings (i.e.
reverse, travel adjust, etc.)."

I love the product description for the buddy box at Horizon's Web Site:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JSP98140

"Works with any Spektrum, JR, or JR Sport Transmitter."
Don't worry Ed, those boxes will be put to good use. We'll use them with the DX7 and other JR gear that has been showing up. We just won't need to get more. We currently have some students that will benifit from those boxes. Plus, I know they work with the DX7 and other JR radios because I've done it. The 6i seems to be "unique" (I say 'unique' because there are children that read these forums ). On memorial day I used the 6i to train a student. You DO need to have the radios set up the same. I've changed "Model 10" to "Training." I just use that unused model to constantly change all the settings, so I don't accidentally mess up anything on my Pitts. [:@]

What the &$%@ was Spektrum thinking when they designed the trainer function!!?? I say this as a guy who typically tries to be agreeable and doesn't needlessly criticize.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:05 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

This is all good stuff. With the new 2.4 Gig systems coming out now, and some being supplied with RTF models, well, it's just good to know this sort of information. As Biged stated, more and more are showing up at the fields with new people wanting to learn how to fly those expensive aircraft. So, the more we know about what we are trying to do the better off we are and the more help we can offer new pilots.

So, thanks to all for a great post and some great information.

CGr
Old 06-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Adui

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

....What the &$%@ was Spektrum thinking when they designed the trainer function!!?? I say this as a guy who typically tries to be agreeable and doesn't needlessly criticize.
My guess is money.. The 6i is about $100 cheaper now, so you either buy the really basic (like I did) or you get the better version and pay for it..

Have to say honestly had I known this ahead of time I probably would have bought the 6i anyhow since I personally have the right gear to set it up right, and 6 channels is all I will need for a while. (I fly on a tight budget, only reason Ive bought so many new gadgets recently is its my once a year from my bonus, and the "Economic Stimulus" check.)

However, knowing what I know now if asked I would definitely recommend the 7i if you can afford it, it appears to be a better radio all around.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:17 PM
KenWh

I asked Spektrum support about this, and they said that the DX6i will work as a master with any JR or Spektrum EXCEPT the Quattro or S400 as a slave. Last night, my son flew at the club with his DX6i as a master to a JR club transmitter. I think it was an XF421, but don't remember exactly.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Nathan King

Yeah, thanks. We got this all figured out. I trained a student with the 6i last week. It was easy once I had all my ducks in a row.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Bacons

Hey guys, I've just got a dx6i to learn to fly on. My instructor has a JR controller with a 35Mhz module. I couldn't find a menu on my dx6i for the trainer mode and the manual is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot! my question is, is there a menu to switch between slave and master and is it possible for my dx6i to be the slave yet transmit (apparently this is possible on the JR TXs) or will I have to use his controller whilst I'm learning and he hold mine?

Cheers, CK.