Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 1st flight >

1st flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st flight

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st flight

1st Flight was a success!

Got a couple of the guys to check the plane out.

Thunder tiger .36 started and ran perfect. balance looked good

One of the guys took the plane up for me and handed me the box.

I flew a bunch of left hand turns. Scared the guys when I held the aileron to long and rolled the plane over.
I got it back under control and they asked if I did that on purpose? Yeh Right.
I lost my orentation a couple of times but got it back.
After awhile the engine died, I had plenty of altitude so I handed the box back and he circled to lose some altitude and brought it in nice.
I would have tried to come right in...Good to see how he handled it.
They said it was built well and didnt need any adjustment.

One of the guys talked to me about exponential. We added 30% to the ailerons and elevator.

Soent most of the day watching.

On my 2nd flight I tried a take off. A little nerve wracking but no problems. Lots of trees at this site so you have to turn left right away.
Controls felt better now, ailerons were not quite so responsive. On my 1st flight it felt a little "twitchy"? or just me with no experience?
I practiced my left turns for awhile trying to line up for a landing. hit or miss for me to make the turn correctly to be lined up on the grass runway and because it was coming at me, the reversed controls were a little much for me. I had a couple of flybys at about 100 feet that looked good. A couple times coming back off line it went right over my head and I got disoriented a bit. this put me over the pits where I wasnt supposed to be but once I turned and was behind the plane again I pulled it left.
No rolls on this flight, I handed the TX back so he could land.

Opps, he handed me the TX and I shut it off. My plane started up and taxied down the runway into the tall grass.
No Damage but a dangerouse thing! Lesson learned!!

I though this wouldnt happen with the Spectrum DX6i ? I think I have to program my throttle to cut if it losses signal????

That was it,

Cleaned up and went home.

I'm going to try another field tommorrow where they have a more structured training program...

But A very good day!
The plane Flew well!
I did a take off and flew.
The plane came home in one piece.

Pop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77825.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	966209  
Old 06-08-2008, 09:02 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 1st flight

ORIGINAL: Popriv
I'm going to try another field tommorrow where they have a more structured training program...

Good to see you had a positve first experiance and your Aerostar looks great, always had a soft spot for Aerostars.

In selecting a club and or instructor I would not let the existance of some structured training program be a basis for selection as always its the individual instructor that counts and not some plan which often is just more structure to no real end.

John
Old 06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Congrats on the first flight. The nerves don't go away for quite a while!

My instruction program at my club is not very structured. However, there are instructors and other experienced pilots, who, IF YOU ASK THEM, will give you tips on things to try and work on. Right now you need to be trying to fly in a box without gaining or losing altitude, in both directions (depending on the wind), then figure 8's, and of course taking off and landing (the hardest parts). Do this for a while, then start using rudder to initiate your turns, and using elevator and ailerons to keep your plane at the right degree of banking and altitude.

Staying at one club is nice because you get to know the pattern, the field, the subtle nuances of the background or wind behaviors. You get to know the guys and get comfortable asking them questions. There is a guy in my club who has a huge piece of property with a landing strip. I was going from a buddy's (and more experienced pilot) house to our field to fly, and passed the private landing strip. We were invited to go, but he suggested to me to fly where I am comfortable and know my surroundings, so we drove the extra 1/2 hour to the club field. I think it was the right choice.

Anyway, good luck and have fun! [8D]
Old 06-08-2008, 12:54 PM

2nd day out.
Visited another club today.
Very friendly, a couple of guys came over to me as soon as I got there and made me feel welcome.
I explained what I wanted to do and they had had me set my plane up. They looked it over. everything looked good. A few suggestions on some of my connections to control sufaces. They didnt have a spectrum TX so we could'nt buddy box, so one of the guys took my plane up for a spin and again these guys said everything was perfect, said it flew great. Good to know all the fine tuning, with some help from you guys, worked out.

This club has a 40 size trainer plane that is buddy boxed so we took that up and I flew a box pattern trying to get to know the field and turn so I was above the runway. He said I did good for a rookie. Not heavy on the sticks? I have no idea but it was good to hear.
good trainer, kept talking to me, guiding me around the field. like " wings level, gonna turn left in 3,2,1 now bank till you see both wings, up elevator to keep the nose up. Turn, turn, turn ok now level off the wings" something like that anyway...
Also with others being trained I have people that are in the same situation as me so we can talk at the same level of ignorance.

Temps were hitting 90 and humid so I called it a day around noon and headed home.

I have to look into my options for hooking a 2nd box to my Spektrum DX6i I want to learn that way, Most of the guys there today have Futaba.

well looks like the building is done and the flying begins.

Now, what about that next plane,,, what will it be?

I'm thinking an electric powered glider that I can fly on my own until I feel comfortable with the glow stuff

Pop
Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Popriv
Not heavy on the sticks? I have no idea but it was good to hear.

Pop
He meant that you didn't overcontrol the aircraft or give quick, jerky inputs. Good job!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Attaboy Pop!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM

The trainer said 3 out of 4 "new" planes need work before they will fly them so I felt good that mine was ready to go.
Most of the planes I see now are ARF's. I'm curious how many build their own planes?
I've built quite a few planes, Gliders and free flight scale, Its the powered RC flying thats new to me...

Pop