Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 AX/Dolphin: Doesn't fit well >

AX/Dolphin: Doesn't fit well

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

AX/Dolphin: Doesn't fit well

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AX/Dolphin: Doesn't fit well

My Dolphin has a pre-installed nylon engine mount. To fit the 46AX in the mount, the rails have to be spread apart, causing them to be out of square, with the engine base pressed tightly between the rails. It doesn't bother me necessarily, it's just that I've seen that engine mounting graphic where they show the rails needing to be perfectly straight.

The metal mount I have from my Nexstar is too wide to fit between the tri stock reinforcing the cheeks.

Should I just leave it or should I try to trim down the nylon?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: AX/Dolphin: Doesn't fit well

spend the $4 and get the adjustable engine mount. got a new plane, make it right, no worries...[8D]
Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, thanks. Didn't know such a beast existed. Of course plugging the mounting holes and getting the blind nuts in the firewall will be a pain in my rump.

Edit: it comes with self tapping screws - is it ok to screw an engine mount into the firewall, or does it need to be through-bolted?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Firewall bolts should be bolted with T nuts (blind) or threaded inserts and with glass filled plastic mounts its OK to use the appropriate size sheet metal screws Depending on engine size on the beams.

If the beams are just a little tight its OK to dremel the the inside of the beam a bit. There is probably no reason for you to change out mount types.

The Adjustables come with the disadvantage of being much larger overall on the firewall and usually far less flexability in mounting positions and very difficult on some airplanes with built in cheeks and cowl rings.

Probably the most versatile of all and why I use them on most everything is the round Dave Brown mount. They can installed and removed in places and spaces a big square adjustable could never function.

John
Old 06-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would through bolt it with the blind nuts. While the mount is out, epoxy some 1/4" tri stock into the very corners of the firewall, and coat the tri stock with the left over epoxy. Tip - leave 1/4" in the center where you are going to glue it - without epoxy, and use a dab of med. ca to make it stick while the epoxy is curing. If the blind nuts are really tough to get into the back of the firewall, use an 8 to 12 in. piece of a coathanger to glue the flared part of the blind nut to with some ca, this will give the reach to the inside you may need. Don't get ca on the threads, you will have to hold it for a minute while it sets up. Put the bolt through the hole, and just get a couple of threads down with the bolt. Pull to the firewall, then put a drop of ca at the flared part from behind.

The Dave Brown mount is a good idea. I have used one or two. It should work well with the 46.