Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Elect Co-pilot

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Elect Co-pilot

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM
rogsteele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elect Co-pilot

I have seen adds for these, "FMA Direct Co-Pilots" Any one had any experience with these, good or bad?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Elect Co-pilot

I don't like them. I think that they actually hurt pilots in their training. If a pilot knows that he can simply let go of the sticks and the plane will recover itself they will never learn the skills needed to do it themselves. I've seen this happen in pilots. It winds up giving them a false sense of security in skills that they don't have. Then when they try to move up to a second plane they find that they simply aren't ready to fly it because they don't have the skills needed recover it, and usually wind up crashing.

My vote is to stay away from them, you're better off learning to fly the plane yourself.

Ken
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To tag onto what RCKen pointed out... another issue is how well these things work. I've seen them get confused and make the plane do goofy stuff. It's just one more link in the chain to fail. I believe in keeping it simple.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 PM
rogsteele

thanks for your opinions ect. but was wondering, do they work ?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Missileman

They work sometimes, sometimes not and are a complete waste of money.
They need a good clean horizon to work, clouds or surrounding trees or hills will render them useless.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:01 AM
rlipsett

The only time I would recommend one would be if you didn't have an instructor. it might save the plane from a few crashes but it drives instructors crazy because it fights what they want to do at times
Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rogsteele
I have seen adds for these, "FMA Direct Co-Pilots" Any one had any experience with these, good or bad?

thanks for your opinions ect. but was wondering, do they work ?
Now it's time to ask you some questions.
Have you used an RC Flight Simulator?
Have you flown with an instructor?
Do you own a plane or a simulator?
Why do you want to know about this product?

Some answers have already reported the commonly known experiences with them. They work, IF the horizon is clear. They do not teach you anything by themselves, except to let go of the sticks when you get in trouble. They can cause unexpected responses when you do not let go of the sticks. I don't think ANYONE will recommend one, but WOULD recommend getting a flight simulator, or a slow, stable flyer, or a flight instructor.

So why do you want to know?

Dave Olson
Old 07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
rogsteele

yes to all, been flying RC and the real thing for years, (there easy compared too RC) thought it might be a good thing to teach a grandson with

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: rogsteele

yes to all, been flying RC and the real thing for years, (there easy compared too RC) thought it might be a good thing to teach a grandson with

Thanks
Like I said above, they actually work against the teaching of flying as they promote bad habits. The best way to teach your grandson is the good old buddy box.

Ken
Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Missileman

They need a good clean horizon to work, clouds or surrounding trees or hills will render them useless.
The FMA Direct Co-pilot is not the same as the AFS found on the Nexstar. Its actually designed as a failsafe, not as an instructional tool. It uses the temperature difference between the sky and the ground to determine attitude of the plane, and must be calibrated for the individual installation. These are actually gaining popularity among the UAV set as a failsafe in the event a UAV loses the connection with the transmitter, and if I recall correctly, it can be set to only restore the plane on a loss of the transmitter signal. It is not easily confused by low sun or clouds (at least as advertised).

Having said all that, I haven't actually purchased one yet, although I am planning on getting one in the next few months for my aerial video plane.

But like others have said, it is NOT a substitute for qualified instruction.

Brad
Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

ORIGINAL: Missileman

The FMA Direct Co-pilot is not the same as the AFS found on the Nexstar. Its actually designed as a failsafe, not as an instructional tool. It uses the temperature difference between the sky and the ground to determine attitude of the plane, and must be calibrated for the individual installation. These are actually gaining popularity among the UAV set as a failsafe in the event a UAV loses the connection with the transmitter, and if I recall correctly, it can be set to only restore the plane on a loss of the transmitter signal. It is not easily confused by low sun or clouds (at least as advertised).

Having said all that, I haven't actually purchased one yet, although I am planning on getting one in the next few months for my aerial video plane.

But like others have said, it is NOT a substitute for qualified instruction.

Brad
I was referring to the FMA Co-Pilot. It is known to suffer from these same problems, unless improvements have been made in the last few years.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 PM
rogsteele

think I might look into getting one, old age is catching up, fingers don't work like they once did for some reason, I was thinking a good instructor and later one of these might save me a plane as my grandson progresses.