Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Understanding Engine Names?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Understanding Engine Names?

Old 05-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Tarance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding Engine Names?

What is the difference in O.S. .46 FX Non-Ringed w/Muffler and O.S. .46 LA w/Muffler Blue. There is nearly a $50 difference in price so I figure there has to be a significant difference.

I am looking for a starter engine to either go on a balsa trainer or a Spad (DEB). I would like to buy a .46 now so I can put it on a sport once I become a reasonable pilot.

Also GMS seems to have cheaper engines, is it worth the extra money to stick with O.S.?

Thanks
Dan
Old 05-16-2003, 11:45 AM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

The OS .46 FX has ball bearings supporting the crankshaft; the .46 LA has bushings. Ball bearings mean less internal friction, more power and higher cost. A .40 FX puts out more power than a .46 LA. The FX also has a remote needle valve which keeps your fingers further from the prop when making adjustments. Neither of these is ringed, meaning that neither has piston rings.
OS engines are higher priced than many others out there. They are high quality engines, but other, less expensive engines work well too. You will find fans here of Super Tigre, Magnum, Thunder Tiger and others which cost less than OS.
Whatever engine you buy, pay attention to the fuel and break-in procedure recommendations of the manufacturer. They will make a big difference in performance and longevity.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:46 AM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

The LA series of engines are bushing engines vs FX is a Ball Bearing engine.
If you are looking to stay in the hobby I think a 46 is a good choice. If you are looking to save some money but get a good engine then I would look at a Thunder Tiger Pro 46.
I have several of these engines and they are not much more than the OS 46 LA and are BB and are much better than the LA. IMHO

Bill
Old 05-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Tarance

Thanks for the info! Any engine brands to avoid?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 PM
gr8johnson3

i cant offer any info on the o.s. line of engines, but i have the evolution trainer powerplant on my debonair. it screams. it was $80.00 at the store. it is easy to tune and is already broke in from the factory. it is .46 in size and has bearings. very good engine for beginners to start and grow with. everyone at my club likes it alot. and it makes that deb go, go, go. i just put a 2 blade prop on mine(broke my 3 doing high speed taxiing in 30 mph wind on pavement. lol). 2 blade is cheaper and easy to find.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Unstable

Originally posted by Tarance
Thanks for the info! Any engine brands to avoid?
MDS engines can be picky at times and I have heard of alot of "bad" ones out there. for a begginer I would stay away from these.

I would strongly suggest to go with the OS FX series. OS engines are not the strongest engines out there but they are consistent, easy to tune, and reliable.

I own 7 OS engines in running condition and they havent given me any problems. I also own a thunder tiger .36 and even though it is a strong engine it seems to be a bit harder to get "dialed in" sometimes but is still a good engine.

go with the OS to start out or if you really need to save a few bucks pick up a Thunder Tiger pro series.

thats my opinion anyway.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:12 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Engine differences

Another difference in the LA and FX series of engines is in the carburator. The LA uses an air bleed and the FX uses a second needle for low and mid range adjustment.

In the local (DC metro area) try Doug's Hobbies in Waldorf for good pricing and service. They have a 2 page ad in RCM magazine. phone 888-DOUGSRC (toll free)

Where do you plan to fly? Many clubs in the area but none in DC that I know of.

EXCAP232
Old 05-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Tarance

All great info, thx!

I actually just moved to Waldorf. Been to Doug's once already. I have made email contact with Windrifters, their field is very close to me. I intend to make contact with the Charles County club also. I am kind of looking for a field where someone will willing to train me on a SPAD DEB. I do want to build balsa but would rather fly and build this summer.

Where do you fly, any suggestions for me?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Montague

Tarance,
I live and fly in Laurel, with the FreeState Aeromodelers. A bit of a drive from Waldorf, but if you encoutner any problems with having a SPAD, you can drop me a note. Club rules allow me to bring a guest to the field once in a while to see if you like it, then you can think of joining up here. We have some guys who fly SPADs, though haven't seen a Deb in the training program. Still, I'm one of the instrutors here, and the others are guys that I don't think would have a problem with a Deb. The club website is:
http://www.freestateaeromodelers.org

Engines to avoid:
- MDS has an "old carb" and a "new carb". The old carb was junk, and the engines didn't run right. With the new carb, they are solid, reliable engines, but because of the uncertainty, I'd avoid the engine for now. (you can tell the difference by the throttle arm, but I forget which is which )

- Magnum engines run well, and I fly them in competition and am quite happy with them. But their carbs require some simple mods to stay working right. (they are fine out of the box, but don't hold up, o-rings leak, and things vibrate loose badly). So I hesitate to recommend them to someone who is new to running engines or doesn't want to deal with the mods.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Tarance

Thanks Kirk! I will certainly take you up on that offer if things don't work out for me closer to home. Nice looking field you guys have there.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:42 PM
gr8johnson3

my instructor was very receptive to flying my deb. it knocked his sock off. he said it was better than 90 % of the trainers he has ever flown. i have that evolution .46 engine and it has more than enough power. he was doing straight up vertical climbs and never sloewd down.