Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Joining the Ariel Section of the Hobby

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Joining the Ariel Section of the Hobby

Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 AM
qaiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the Ariel Section of the Hobby

Well its been going on in my head for a long time about starting to fly planes. Im more of a Land guy.

Was at the LHS today, and they got a set of new Trainers in, and they just kept calling out my name .

They have 2 choices,

1 ) Tiger Trainer MK2
2 ) Super Frontier

Now those are my choices, which of those would you recommend.

Second is the radio, im going for [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/3_423_433/products_id/9858]*this*[/link] one. It seems good for the price, and id rather get a good radio from the beginning than upgrade it at a later time. If there are any better ones avaliable around that price range, please let me know.

For the engine, Im looking at a 4 stroke

More over the OS FS 52S. How would that preform.?

For starter soloution, looking at this - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11754

And for fuel, my LHS carries Cool Power, a subsidry of Morgan Fuels. I personally use their fuels ( Sidewinder ) in my cars and am extremely happy with it.

As for what prop's gonna be used, I frankly have no clue.

Will be going back there to pay it off in a few days time.

All comments welcome.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Joining the Ariel Section of the Hobby

The Tiger Trainer .40 MkII and the World Models Super Frontier are both great choices for a glow trainer. The Tiger Trainer .40 MkII comes largely pre-built and offers glueless assembly. The control hinges are already installed and you can simply bolt together the wings and tail surfaces. The Super Frontier will require a bit more assembly, but nothing that you couldn't accomplish on your first airplane project.

A .52~.54 four stroke is a nice match with most .40-size ARFs. I like the Master Airscrew K-Series 12x6 for these engines, it's a wide prop designed specifically for four strokes and it really provides terrific thrust with an engine that can turn it decently. Your fuel economy would be outstanding as well, and 20 to 30 minute flights would be easily attainable if you managed the throttle well.

Thunder Tiger makes a very nice F-54s four stroke engine that your local hobby store should be able to sell you. The Magnum XL .52RFS (also sold as ASP or Sanye), the O.S. Max FS-52 Surpass (and the new 56FS-a), and the Saito .56 are all terrific engines in this size range. The rear-mounted carburetor on all of the popular brands of four-strokes might make them a tough fit for the stock engine mount included with whichever plane you select. If you're not up to replacing the supplied engine mount with a longer unit and possibly redoing the firewall blind nuts for the mount, you might stick with a .40/.46 2-stroke.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

You won't really need to upgrade the radio, thats a nice one. You can get the same starter with Tower on the side for 19.99 I think from Tower Hobbies.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree all your choices seem to be well thought out and appropriate except in my opinion one.

Using a four stroke for a first engine to learn on is a bad idea and its a bad idea on two major points.

First is learning to operate two strokes is easier and tuning simplified for the beginner because its much more obvious what is going on with them just by sound. This may seem like no big deal to many but it is a big deal to the beginner who already is climbing the learning curve at near capacity.

The second point is that the four stroke is much more vulnerable to damage in a crash and much more likely to be very expensive damage. Damage to a two strokes when it does happen is usually far easier to repair as well.

So its for these reasons I always suggest a first engine should be a two stroke both during training as well as that critical period after solo when many folks tend to crash more than any other period of their flying.

John
Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 AM
rlipsett

I agree about the 2 stroke. The 4 stroke has push rods up front that get damaged easier then a 2 stroke. As long as you don't drive the 2 stroke into a rock on the ground they usually survive. I like the os 46 ax for simplicity and reliability.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
brett65

I've talked to this guy in the car forums before, and he know his stuff. Tuning an airplane 2 stroke is much easier than tuning a car 2 stroke. He won't have any problems tuming a 2 stroke plane. I say if you want to go to four stroke since its something new, and you want to take the chance of it being damaged easier in a crash, then do it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM
qaiz

Thanks to all for the comments.

Also big thanks for the info about the 4 stroke engines, I had no idea.

Ill definately be going for a 2 stroke then at the moment, and upgrading at a later time as needed.

Was looking at A Main's website ( Since Ill be placing my order for the radio from them ) , and came across the " Evoloution Engines ", more over, this one http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20461

Ill be going in tomorrow to finalize on which trainer Ill be picking up, the Tiger or the Super Frontier.

The reason im looking at a radio is, the LHS only sells the body, they'll do you an entire package if you like, but it comes with a FM system. Ill be paying about $200 for that locally, so I rather go online, drop another $100ish and go straight to a Spektrum setup. Same reason im looking at an engine.

The owner of the LHS where I am going to buy my plane from is a great friend of mine and has offered to teach me how to fly, so thats sorted. I shouldnt have a major problem grasping it because ive flown Heli's for a while, and am extremely accomplished in cars. So I do know how sensitive they are. Also been observing a few flyers out here locally for the past week or so. They've shown me pretty much what I would need to know for my first flight .

Im really looking forward to it.

Thank you to all again for the comments, just wanted to make sure if my decision was the right one. Also thanks for the info about the 4 stroke's. Id' never know that unless if it was for RCU .

So my last question would be, how would this engine preform in a trainer. If possible, id like to place my order from one online store and pay shipping and customs once. Shipping kill us.!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20461

Thanks .
Old 08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
qaiz

ORIGINAL: brett65

I've talked to this guy in the car forums before, and he know his stuff. Tuning an airplane 2 stroke is much easier than tuning a car 2 stroke. He won't have any problems tuming a 2 stroke plane. I say if you want to go to four stroke since its something new, and you want to take the chance of it being damaged easier in a crash, then do it.
Hey Brett.

Ive decided to stick with a 2 Stroke, Im not in a hurry here. Thanks for your comments, I spoke to my LHS and they have starters in stock, so Ill be picking up one from them.

Ill definately upgrade to a Saito 4 Stroke at a later time.

Being honest here.

I saw a black and gold Saito 4 stroke engine in the LHS, and I just had to have it.! It was pretty much the nicest looking engine I have ever seen.

And the guy at the LHS was lauging away saying you should start flying, and then one day you can have it. And thats what pushed me along.!

Ill try and dig up a pic of the engine and post it.

Thanks.!

* Edit *

This is the engine

Looks so good.!

One day......
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM
JohnBuckner

Ill definately be going for a 2 stroke then at the moment, and upgrading at a later time as needed.
[/quote]

That is a wise choice. Its also probably a mistake also to consider four strokes as 'up grades' which is certainly is not always the case as there are plenty of applications and venues where this is simply not true.

John
Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Ar·i·el (âr-l)
n.
The satellite of Uranus that is 12th in distance from the planet.
[After Ariel, a mischievous sprite in The Tempest by William Shakespeare.]

Welcome to the world of flight.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
brett65

Yeah, the Saito Golden Knight engines look awesome! I haven't driven my nitros since I got my plane, so be sure to throw some after run in them!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: qaiz

Well its been going on in my head for a long time about starting to fly planes. Im more of a Land guy.

Was at the LHS today, and they got a set of new Trainers in, and they just kept calling out my name .

They have 2 choices,

1 ) Tiger Trainer MK2
2 ) Super Frontier

Now those are my choices, which of those would you recommend.

Second is the radio, im going for [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/3_423_433/products_id/9858]*this*[/link] one. It seems good for the price, and id rather get a good radio from the beginning than upgrade it at a later time. If there are any better ones avaliable around that price range, please let me know.

For the engine, Im looking at a 4 stroke

More over the OS FS 52S. How would that preform.?

For starter soloution, looking at this - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11754

And for fuel, my LHS carries Cool Power, a subsidry of Morgan Fuels. I personally use their fuels ( Sidewinder ) in my cars and am extremely happy with it.

As for what prop's gonna be used, I frankly have no clue.

Will be going back there to pay it off in a few days time.

All comments welcome.

Thanks.

Now that you have the info:
Welcome to the aerial section of the hobby!!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
qaiz

Thanks to all again for the replies

Now that im sure of my decision. Will go to the LHS tomorrow and pay them .

@ John

Dont 4 strokes provide more torque at lower RPM's in our Nitro' Fuled hobby.? I have 0 experience with Nitro 4 strokes, only 2 strokes.

Theres a guy who flies this twin prop plane with 2 ; 4 strokes. It is one of the nicest noises ive ever heard.

@ Brett

I cant put away my cars LOL . Ive been trying for the past few months to do so.! Maybe flying will cause me to retire from land RC's hopefully.!

Also guys, one last question

What sort of tools would I need, Ive got all the stuff for land vehicles ie ; Dremel, Hex Wrenches, Philips + Slotted Screwdrivers, 12V battery etcc.

Would I need any specific tools.?

Thanks .
Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL:
I have 0 experience with Nitro 4 strokes, only 2 strokes.

Theres a guy who flies this twin prop plane with 2 ; 4 strokes. It is one of the nicest noises ive ever heard.

@ Bret

The reason you have no experience with Glow four strokes is because they don,t work as well in that venue, I rest my case. There are plenty of examples in airplanes where they are not normally used agine for the same reasons.

Now you wanna talk sound, yes I know it is not politically correct prefer something other and I understand you dig the sound of that twin with a pair of fourstrokes but for me this airplane has the 'nicest noise I have ever heard' and those are two strokes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61323.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	1005663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70493.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1005664  
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
qaiz

John, that is truly amazing.

How much work did that plane take.!?

Hats off to you my man.! I can only hope to fly something like that one day.

Excellent work.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
JohnBuckner

That airplane is the result of a time honored old art called Kit Bashing, its actually a Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster. that one took about six months.

You can and will be able to do the same kind of Stuff sooner than you think, with the Electronics, engines, materials and commuications we now have avaliable litterally the sky is the limit.

You have made some excellent choices already and I must add that its refreshing to see someone who understands the need to climb that airmanship and craftsmanship ladder one rung at a time. You will go far wherever that may be.

John
Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
qaiz

Alright, went into the LHS today, and it turned out to be my lucky day .

They got the new shipment in this morning. Which included the new Thunder Tiger MKIII. Spoke to them for about 30 mins, and decided it was now or never. So I did it. I offically have joined the world of flight .

This thing does require some assembly, but just quickly browsing through the manual, nothing that seems too difficult.

A friend of mine will be coming over to oversee the assembly in a few days. Id rather him be here, he has much more knowledge in this field than I do.

Have decided for the Spektrum DX7 as my radio of choice, and the OS 55AX for the engine.

Thanks for all the comments above, it really helped.

Here are some pics

My study material

Thanks guys.!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The combo the plane, engine, and radio will do well. Enjoy!!!!

Make sure you keep us posted on your progress as you learn to fly!!

Ken
Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
draftman1

nice plane. it sounds like you have all of the tools. the only thing I can think of that you wouldnt have is a prop reamer. props usually dont have the right size hole for the engine shaft.pleas dont try to drill the prop or force it on the shaft, use a reamer
Old 08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
rlipsett

For tols and supplies I would add exacto knife packing tape and ca and maybe some kicker. Wish list tools forceps for connecting tubing in small out of the way places
Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
chemie

forget the plane...how about the leopard pattern (is it a bed or sofa?)
Old 08-08-2008, 03:34 PM
qaiz

Thanks for the comments guys

As for the prop reamer

Would this one work.?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEGH6&P=FR

Also whats ' kicker ' .? Already have a set of forceps.

CA isnt a problem, can get that locally Exacto's, have many of them .

Also forgot to reply to this comment

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

That airplane is the result of a time honored old art called Kit Bashing, its actually a Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster. that one took about six months.

You can and will be able to do the same kind of Stuff sooner than you think, with the Electronics, engines, materials and commuications we now have avaliable litterally the sky is the limit.

You have made some excellent choices already and I must add that its refreshing to see someone who understands the need to climb that airmanship and craftsmanship ladder one rung at a time. You will go far wherever that may be.

John
Thanks for the kind words John. Hope to achieve the best. That plane is really amazing.! Love the colour scheme.!

I really wanna do this right.! Theres a SebArt Katana in my LHS that Ive always wanted to fly.!

Hope to achieve that sometime.!

ORIGINAL: chemie

forget the plane...how about the leopard pattern (is it a bed or sofa?)

Bed LOL.

Girl likes it, so who am I to argue .
Old 08-08-2008, 04:21 PM
JohnBuckner

Prop reamers are a good thing for your flight box. If you go for a two stroke engine then the one you linked is a metric and not the one you want that would be this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEGH7&P=7

The vast majority of two strokes have SAE shaft sizes of 1/4 or 5/16th inch. When you get into four strokes then the Metric Reamer will need to be added in most cases.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
TedMo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't claim to know it all but do say this. Your choices are excellent as has already been said. Definitly great choice on radio. Don't know if that's the original Spektrum or the JR version which are identical ( to my Knowledge ). One may be obtainable where you are so take whichever is. I use the Jr Spektrum and it IS GREAT. That motor choice is also very good. They start easy and idle great. Not as powerful as an OS FX but plenty power for your use. The 46 size would also work fine for you.Info given you on 4 strokes also right on. Great motors but 2 stroke way to go at first.
I often read the beginners forums in order to try to be helpful at times but also sometimes learn something new as well and I've been flying RC for over 50 yrs. Just proves can always learn more.
Good luck and great flying.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:55 PM
rlipsett

kicker is ca kicker when used the ca dries inn 15 seconds

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.