Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Am I "collecting" planes or is this my imagination? >

Am I "collecting" planes or is this my imagination?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Am I "collecting" planes or is this my imagination?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I "collecting" planes or is this my imagination?

Today when I was at the Flint River Flying Club (at Lake Blackshear outside of Cordele, Ga), I met ALOT of really, really GREAT people. It seems that the RC world, just builds a "bond" between people that I've tried to explain to my wife, but she just doesn't get it.... I had a BLAST watching everyone fly! There were 40-50 people and 50-60 planes; I think ALL the planes had a time in the air (even a "dogfight" between a couple of T28 Trojans! btw, there were FOUR of them out there!)

Five minutes after I arrive, a guy I JUST MET, gives me the CA hinges I need to finish my Tower 60. FIVE MINUTES!

Then, after watching for a while and meeting everyone, I met a guy who was also a novice pilot trying to learn to fly. He was flying a plane that an "old timer" gave him and had seen MUCH better days; it was still airworthy, but it had some miles on it! He took it to the field, spun it up, took off, and in about 5 minutes, he figured out his elevator control was on the "low" setting..... WHAM!!!!!!!!! Not the "worst" landing, but it cracked the fuselage in half.... (which looked like it had been repaired about 4 times before!) It WAS a "SuperBox 40"....

In the process of stripping the electronics and engine, someone asked him when he was going to repair it. He said it was old, everyone agreed, and he said he was just going to junk it. I was sitting there and IMMEDIATELY piped up with "HEY!!! I'LL TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS!!!" Everyone was actually glad to see it go to another newbie instead of the bin. The damage really isn't THAT bad; nothing a few replacment boards can't fix and patched with a little mylar.

So I walk in the door with this wing under my arm (in almost PERFECT shape; just a ding in the bottom center), one large peice of the fuse in one hand, and the front of the fuse in my other hand.... and my wife looks at me like I had just brought home a hooker!

I don't think it's going to take an incredible effort to get this bird airborne again, and I know the club would LOVE to see it keep flying. The only catch is that I don't have an engine for it.... it needs a .36 to .40, unless someone thinks it can fly with a .28 (any opinions?)

So, once again, thanks to the generosity of others, I have ANOTHER plane (minus the engine + servos) ! I am CONSTANTLY amazed at the commeraderie, brotherhood, and friendlyness of this sport/hobby!

GOD BLESS THE RC WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm including 2 pics: (1) is a "before" picture and the other (2) is the "after" picture. I think it'll make a good project. If I knew how to "cover" a plane, I could REALLY have some fun "personalizing" this thing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15584.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1013560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33676.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1013561  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Default RE: Am I "collecting" planes or is this my imagination?

ORIGINAL: Spacemonkey71

.... and my wife looks at me like I had just brought home a hooker!

Now,thats funny right there!!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Trust me Jester, the look on her face was ALMOST a look of horror [sm=lol.gif]

One day, just for kicks, I'm going to bring home a big rattlesnake that I kill in the woods and plop it on the coffee table JUST for "comparison" - I'm betting the snake gets a better reception!

Does anyone feel like selling a small .35-.46 glow-engine for a REALLY low price (like a "charity" price...[] ) by any chance?) Unemployed engineers don't exactly make a bundle of money
Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 AM

I always tell the other club members "if you're going to throw it away, throw it my way". I take all the busted birds home and strip every usable piece off them for my bench stock collection. It's amazing how many guys just don't want to be bothered with repairing crash damage. Of course, I am a little bit of a pack rat
Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
My Feedback: (9)

From the photos, it definitely looks fixable. For an engine, check the "Buy and Sell" section here or look on eBay. However, it's best to test run a used engine before buying it. There are a lot of worn out, crash damaged, or otherwise marginally or unusable engines out there, so be careful!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yesterday I was given A galon of 15% that was opened with A bit used, I had given A servo to the fellow. Then he gave me A new G-62. Sometimes you just have those kind of days?? Not often me. A friend was given an old trainer, complete, even with the radio. He gave it to me, I taught two people to fly with it before it died. Why do the wings always survive??? My youngest student was given A NICE complete plane that was too hard for the owner to see anymore, it's A hand full but young eyes can handle it. Same fellow gave the kid A new in box 4*60 with an engine. That was our sumer build while he was out of school, almost finished.
Only engine I'm sure I have is what came out of the trainer, it's really worn out and down on power. It's an OS .40 LA bushing engine, never had A dead stick though. I can check around the shop but all I have for sure are A couple of .25s and some MDS engines. I'm saving the MDS engines for someone I hate!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
My Feedback: (18)

WOW! I didn't think I would see another one of those! I got one for free from a friend that was gonna throw it away. I fly mine with an OS 25. It is a little underpowered, but it is fun to fly! It's covered with a foam covering right? Here is mine, almost the same color scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55187.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1014121  
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Don't feel bad about collecting planes. I no longer am able to park my truck in the garage due to my collection of planes
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never considered myself a collector, but guess I am. I have more props, fuel tanks, Monocoat, balsa, motor mounts, landing gear, etc. than any hobby shop I have ever been in Haaa!!!. If you need any more misc. aircraft pcs. c'mon down. I have wings, stabs etc. all in attic waiting to be used Haa. Did finally get rid of the OLD model aircraft magazines from the 40's to present real heartbreaker HAAA
Old 08-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Collecting is half the fun. And I too am a don't throw it away kind of guy. I picked up a Nitro Model's Extra 260 .50 size like that to gain some experience in rebuilding and covering. I'm a newbie myself. The Extra makes my 3rd nitro powered plane in less than 2 months of flying. This collecting does drive my wife nuts though, but she'll get over it (hopefully). That makes 3 cars, 5 helis, 3 nitro planes, and 2 park fliers for me, and I still can't get enough. Keep on collecting.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to collect "bargin" planes, I recently bought on mostly built 40 size stick with engine for a cheap price, a friend of mine said he will give me a northstar and maybe a funtana that he hates. This is a very friendly giving hobby.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM

Well, I always tell my wife it could be worse..... I could be back in to my "race car" days when I was spending $10K on a 4cyl car to run 13.8sec 1/4mile runs (and that's NATURALLY ASPIRATED in case you were wondering ) If I didn't spend $200/week on my car, I was either sick or fixing the last "problem" I had.... (running a 11.6:1 compression ratio tends to be a wee bit harsh on a car and I was eating $150 tires like my son eats cheerios!). Of course I was "employed" at the time....

Brett, that plane DOES look pretty similar that's for sure! Even down to the wingtips! Is yours a "SuperBox Fly40"? (at least that's what's marked on the mylar on the side of the plane)

And does ANYONE knows who made this plane? The only thing I've found is that it was made by a company called "E-Z" but typing that into google is like typing in "naked ladies"..... does anyone have any info or where I could find out more data about this plane? I'd like to know exactly what kind of engine I can put into it, throws, specs, etc.... I think it had a .32 or a .35, but I'd like to see if it would run on a .25 (on the low end) or a .40-.46 (on the high end). Heck, it WAS a free plane that's LITERALLY held together in places with clear caulking glue (no kidding!) so it might be fun to strap one of my .60's to it and see if the wings rip off

By the way, I found the ULTIMATE fuselage and repair wood bracing material: the wooden "lawn sign posts" at WalMart !!!!! They're $0.78/ea, 21" long, 1.25" wide, and 1/4" thick. The wood is suprisingly light and strong too! It's the PERFECT repair material for this (or almost ANY) bird, all I need now is the time to get it done! (which is in short supply with an 18month old tearing around the house like a wild gibbon on crystal meth!)

TedMo, if you're looking to lighten your load of some Ultracote you don't want anymore (color doesn't even matter on a plane that's looks like it's been dragged behind a truck! I just need SOMETHING! >>> but if you "happen" to have enough red, and a pinch of white, I'd love to make this thing look like an Ugly Stik ), PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Mine says super box fun fly 20, so mine is smaller. It is basically a stik type aircraft, so it can serve as your "second" airplane. I converted mine to a taildragger for fun, and it is pretty aerobatic. Should be lots of fun if you can put her back together.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Do you have any manuals, or know where I can download some from? What kind of engine did you use on it? Even if it's a Box20, did you use something larger? like maybe a .30 series?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Spacemonkey71

Do you have any manuals, or know where I can download some from? What kind of engine did you use on it? Even if it's a Box20, did you use something larger? like maybe a .30 series?
I got the plane given to me by a guy who was gonna trash it. It had radio and everything in it too. I don't have any manual or plans, it was bought as a ready to fly. It has a 25 size engine on it. It flies decently with it too.