Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

dual or single conversion receiver?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

dual or single conversion receiver?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
jakcharles
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual or single conversion receiver?

Ok I am not really a beginner but I have a combat corsair I just bought from great planes. And I am trying to figure out whats the best receiver for this plane. I have both the p-40 and the spitfire but both are electric. The corsair is going to be nitro. Ok I fly the spitfire with the hitec eletron 6 mini rx and the p-40 with a jr slim 600. I was just wondering if the corsair would be ok with a single conversion hitec mini 6 and does it matter? Single or dual? Sorry for the dumb questions?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Missileman

Default RE: dual or single conversion receiver?

The Hitec Mini 6 is a long range reciever and should be fine.
If I was to buy a new receiver I would lean toward dual conversion but single is ok as long as the range is good.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The single conversions are intended for the close in slow flyers
Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 PM
jakcharles
My Feedback: (10)

Thank you both very much!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The single conversions are intended for the close in slow flyers
JR 72Mhz FM/PPM full range receivers are single conversion. There are apparently a lot of folks flying Alpha 40 and Alpha 60 RTFs, Mustang P-51 PTS RTFs, and Raptor F-22 PTS RTFs that don't know they have park flyer receivers in their planes.

The Hitec Mini 6S receiver is single conversion, but like most of the single conversion JR FM/PPM receivers, it too is rated as a full range receiver suitable for all model aircraft.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
opjose

Heh...

As he said the JR slimlines are single conversion. Their "filtering" seems to make them respond just as well as dual conversion receivers though.

On our field whenever I use a single conversion receiver on certain channels including the JR 6UL ( Ultra light ) receivers, but NOT the Slimlines and above such as the S600's and S700's... I'll get severe RF hits....

This never happens with the S600's, etc. nor with ( knocks on wood ) any dual conversion receiver that I have used.

Note that many of the "parkflyer" type receivers seem to have shorter antennas, but there are exceptions.

I made the mistake of flying an XPD-8 with a single conversion park flyer RX...

Wrong move... the plane is fairly fast and quickly gets beyond 500'... at which point it drops out of control to the ground.

I'm now flying it with a Hitec Micron which seems to work well.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my experience is on 35 megs but I am in the US / Canada / Mexico at the moment flying on 72 megs.

I fly my larger, more expensive, stuff on dual conversion, it gives better interference rejection, no arguments there. However I fly combat where you will have up to 20 models up at the same time and pilots strung out on a line with single conversion and have no problems other than the odd glitch.

BUT not all single conversion Rxs are good for long range high threat environment flying. I have had no problems with Futaba and GWS. Others have been glitchy and I have discarded them.

N.B. I like PPM as I get a warning that the RF link is not solid with a glitch or two. I get asked to test fly quite a lot and the total lockout you get with PCM for a second or so really gets my adrenaline going. Perhaps I am a luddite.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:39 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally bought a Mini6 for my Nexstar trainier and brought it out to the field and noticed that I was getting a lot of hits on it. I tried it several times (ch29 and a 6EXAP Tx) and still had this problem. Tried a friend's Supreme IIS and didn't have a single hit. Took the Mini6 back and exchanged it for the SupremeIIS and have not had a problem. If I use a nitro plane, I will stick with a dual conversion. Check out Ebay, there is a vendor selling new SupremeIIs for about $40 with the crystal and $3 shipping. I would go that route.
Best of luck,
Curtis