Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cub As a trainer

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cub As a trainer

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 AM
bencav84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub As a trainer

Hi,

I am looking to get into RC planes (for the second time, after a failed attempt a few years back due to a agricultural disease problem)

Anywhoo, the first time round, I got a ripmax trainer, which never flew, it just didnt inspire me!! I really want something that looks like a real plane. Now Im not talking Yaks or anything, but as a trainer form a grass strip, would a 67inch span Piper Cub be ok? I think its the tail dragging look that I really like!!

I have the engine (Irvine 46,) a 6 and a 4 channel Futaba radio so the plabe would be the last part to get (besides the obvious bits and bobs!!)

My goal is to be able to fly a decathlon (see the trend in the look of plane I like??)

any opinions more than welcome!!

Ben
Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 AM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Cub As a trainer

As I think most of us will tell you, a Cub is not a particularly good trainer. I would suggest you get a "trainer" aircraft, learn to fly it then maybe progress to a Cub if you still want to. It is fun to fly but you really need to learn throttle management and the use of rudder and you'll have your hands full just trying to stay in the air at first. That's my two cents worth.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 AM
carrellh

It doesn't look like a 'real plane' but the SIG LT-25 is a good trainer that is a tail dragger.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Cub is not A trainer. For the short time you would spend on A trainer most any of the 70 dollar ARFs would be great for you. People that get A Cub as there second plane usually get A surprise along with it, they don't fly like A trainer at all.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:16 AM
mclina

ORIGINAL: carrellh

It doesn't look like a 'real plane' but the SIG LT-25 is a good trainer that is a tail dragger.
Build the LT-25 and cover it in Cub Yellow.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

first ? ....... Do you own a simulator? ( Real flight g-3.5 or 4 ) If not i would highly recomend getting one. Theres definatly nothing like the real thing but with the simulator you can get good basics of orientation and flight controls......Maybe a good start?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:23 AM
kthmarks

My first trainer was a SIG Rascal 40 with a saito 62 in it......it was a great plane to learn on. I spent a lot of time on a simulator as well.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:37 AM
bencav84

Thanks for the wise words.

Any opinions on the seagul arising star at all? They are very popular apparently in the UK!!

BC
Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 PM
perreback

Arising Star is a fine trainer. Kyosho's Calmato is another one you might want to consider.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Norm Nestie

The Arising Star is a great trainer. But I think you could fly a cub as easily as a trainer PROVIDING you have some one with experience show you how to propwerly take off. Take offs have to be well throttle managed. No big secret or difficult but it does take a more finessed way. Some cubs are real "floaters" and others not. Set your cub up well, fly with struts (to help bleed off speed) and DONT fly on windy days. I'v flown a few different size cubs and the only real problem I had, when I wqas learning, was not knowing how to take off properly. By the way, the best advice I got to resolve this was from a RCU member. Good luck and don't be afraid to contact me if you feel this was worthwhile and have any other questions. Norm
Old 08-23-2008, 03:21 PM
flyX

The cub is not a trainer..and that .25 sig CUB kit is not a beginer's kit.
It's just a box of sticks. It's not difficult, but the odds of you building it correctly as a first kit is slim.
I had the same idea you have. I never got a chance to fly it becuase i nevered finished it.
I wanted to make it too detail and scale..plus the way that kit is designed...one hard landing...you're done.
Or it would be difficult to bend those wire gears back into place...like a regular trainer.
It's not a flat bottom air foil, plus the placment of the main wheel will cause it spin more during ground handling.

If you build a regular trainer the fuse are going to be lite ply and jig...
You bascailly use rubber bands and the fuselage will lock in into place & straight
The Eagle II, LT40 , Tower. You can frame and cover it in weekend or less...bascailly get to an ARF stage.
Then another weekend to install the engine and radio EQ.

Get a LT40 or whaterver arf, trainers and just convert into a tail dragger.
You can mount the mains slightly forward of the LE so it won't spin on the ground as much
It's a trainer...a learning tool. You'll make mistakes. Get a trainer that will handle your learning curve.
Don't worry about it looking prudy...all you're going to see in the air is something that looks like a T.lol
Put contras color sceheme on the bottom of the wing..so you'll see the model better.

If I was your instructor...I'd make you master the proceedure truns and do touch and go at will...before i give you your wings.lol
Not just fly the modle and cross your fingers for a landing.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Stick 40

First off can you train with a cub, Yes. We had a guy train with a Goldberg J3 40 size cub some years ago. It was harder for him to learn on, but he did.

If you are just starting out and going to buy the trainer, you already have recieved good advice. You would do better with another plane. Besides your first trainer plane may not last forever, why use a plane you like. My first plane that I learned on was a Balsa USA " STICK 40", that is a great trainer !!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:52 AM
NorfolkSouthern

High wing taildraggers with light wing loading can be a real bear for ground handling. The wing likes to fly before the tail does, which can be a real problem to someone who's not accustomed to it. Barn-door ailerons may not respond as fast as expected, and they can do funny things in flight. Like the wing that wants to fly before the other stuff is ready to get airborne, the ailerons are yet another glitch that needs some getting used to. The Cub has one saving grace that my Tango doesn't: It's not as twitchy. I'm serious when I say, a Cub ain't no trainer. A second plane, maybe, but preferably a third or fourth. But not something you would want to learn to fly with.

Get yourself a trainer, and mount your engine and other stuff on that. Find an instructor, or get a simulator and lots of space away from people and property. Master that first. Then the Cub, maybe.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 AM
TZflyer

ORIGINAL: mclina

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Build the LT-25 and cover it in Cub Yellow.
I built one of these for my son, he is 8, and it has to be one of the most stable, easy to fly aircraft you can fly.
He has been flying for a couple of months and takes off and flies figure eights, loops and his landing approaches are getting to a point where he will land soon.
Mine is red though...
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 AM
bencav84

As before thanks for all your help.

I have spoken to a local club who has advised the following set of planes to advance through:

1- Arising Star Trainer
2- Cub
3- Decathlon (thats my aim in this, I really want one of those!!

All will have to be ARTF as I have no space (nor for that matter ability) to build from kit, I think I would end up making match sticks, Im used to repairing a 30yr old car, so gentle isnt my best quality (and I just want to fly them asap!!)

BC