Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Rubber bands on Avistar

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Rubber bands on Avistar

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Lille-bror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber bands on Avistar

The manual say you should use 14 #64 rubber bands (3 1/2" X 1/4" X 1/32" ). I asked my LHS and he had never heard of that big amount of rubber on a trainer 40. He suggested putting on 4 and lifting the airplane in the wing and shake it. If the wing didn’t move you have found the right amount of rubber bands. Put on 2 extra for safety.

How many rubber bands du you use on your Avistar, and how do you determine the amount of rubber bands?

Thanks [sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 AM
gunfighterII

Default RE: Rubber bands on Avistar

I always used 8 in my day, 2 each front to back, 2 each crossing each other, both sides.

Anymore and it's just a challenge removing them all.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 AM
jetmech05

I used 12 that you can get at Office Max for 3 bucks for a pound.....using the criss cross and front to rear pattern...frankly I am surprised at the LHS's answer...if the wing slips coming out of a dive
Good Flyin
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 AM
gunfighterII

Also if your flying glow, they need to be changed every day that you fly. Do not reuse them.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 AM
flyX

8-10

some people that work at LHS don't know anything about flying r/c or nitro.
They might know about r/c cars or hand painting.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 AM
mclina

I use at least 12, five on each side and two diagonally to hold them on. If I am planning on doing anything aggressive, I'll throw on another pair.

Given that the Avistar is meant to be a bit more aerobatic than the typical trainer, I think 14 is reasonable. I also buy them in bulk at Staples and throw them away after every flying session.

With four bands, if you pick up the plane by the wing, the fuse will lag behind by a couple of seconds. That's just crazy.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 AM
flyX

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] 4 bands ?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

I've always used 12-14 in an alternating parallel/crossing pattern making sure the last pair was crossed.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
goirish

I use 12 also with the first 2 front to back, then 8 criss-crossed and the last 2 front to back.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
carrellh

The box the Hobbico rubber bands comes in advises using at least 2 bands per pound of airplane. The Avistar is advertised as a 5 pound model. So, 10 would be the minimum. If the manual for the plane says 14 I think you should use 14.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately this type of advice is more frequent these days and the result of people selling things they know nothing about. Do not trust this LHS for any further advise.

The first real indications of insufficient/rotten rubber will be when doing a loop or anytime pulling up from a down line. The airplane will want to uncontrollably tighten the loop or pullup. What happens the leading edge will rise up under load suddenly increasing the angle of attack. If you are lucky they may hold on long enough to land but frequently they do not.

John
Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 AM
n19htmare

rubber bands are cheap, Plane is not.

I use 12.

first 2 are cris crossed and the wing is centered.
next 8 (4 on each side)
last 2 are again cris crossed to hold the other 8 down.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Lille-bror

Thanks to you all.

My Avistar weight is 5 pound = 10 rubber bands. Not the 7 pounds my manual says.
So I stick to the 10 bands.
The LHS normally sells electric powered model planes, maybe that’s the reason why he gave me that answer

Look forward to have the very first flight Saturday with help from experienced club members [8D]
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I learned to fly using rubberbands was the standard method of wing attachment for most trainers and sport planes. I was taught to use 10 rubberbands minimum, and if a plane is over 5 pounds add an additional 2 rubberbands for each pound after that. For example, a 20 ounce1/2A or 3 pound plane would use 10 rubberbands, a 5-1/2 pound plane would use 12 rubberbands, and a 7-1/2 pound plane would use 16 rubberbands. I’ve never had a wing part company from the fuselage, nor have I seen one using that formula (with the exception of bad rubberbands that where breaking to the point there where only about 6 holding the wing on, and those quick let go under minimal strain).

I have 2 students flying Avistars and I have them use 12 rubberbands.

Hogflyer
Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
goirish

Is there a correct way to install the rubber bands?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: goirish

Leading edge to trailing edge generally works better than leading edge to leading edge, and trailing edge to trailing edge…………

Sorry Irish, just couldn’t resist that one.

I do a mix – start with Leading edge to trailing edge, then a crossing pattern, and back and forth alternating each pair.

Hogflyer
Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

ORIGINAL: goirish

Leading edge to trailing edge generally works better than leading edge to leading edge, and trailing edge to trailing edge…………

Hummmmm!! leading edge to leading edge-going across huh. Does it make any difference when you criss-cross?

Sorry Irish, just couldn’t resist that one.

I do a mix – start with Leading edge to trailing edge, then a crossing pattern, and back and forth alternating each pair.

Hogflyer
Old 08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
goirish

Thanks, I screwed up my previous post. I am a visual person and was wondering how the leading edge to leading edge was going to hold anything other than the fuselage together.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I always put them on parallel to the fuselage with the last 2 crossing to help hold the others in place. If you install them only in a crossed fashion they will not hold the wing in place as well. Put 2 on parallel to the fuselage and lift 1 wing tip. The wing will move away from the fuselage some. Now take them off and put 2 crossed ones on. Lift by a wingtip and it will go to the point it will almost comes off.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Alex7403

i used 12 NEW rubber bands everyday flying!
dont reuse them.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
goirish

Ah!!! I was using 2 front to back the 8 criss-cross and the last 2 front to back. Think I will change that. Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
jollycub
My Feedback: (5)

Get a container such as a Cool Whip bowl with lid and fill it half full of kitty litter. Use that to store your used rubber bands. The kittly litter will absorb the fuel from the rubber bands. I have used the same rubber bands for several flights just fine. All you have to do is to stretch the rubber band before putting it on the plane. If it breaks, then it is time to replace it.
Once I purchased a new box of rubber bands from the LHS and stretched them before I put them on the plane. A lot of them broke before the first time I got them on. This was a rather busy hobby shop and somehow they had gotten pushed back on the shelf and became old and brittle...just like I am becoming. I took them back and they were skeptical about being brittle till we got another box off of the shelf and the rubber bands broke out of that box as well. Forunatly for me, I moved up into airplanes that the wing bolted on instead of rubber bands. Bigggg improvement. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: Lille-bror

Thanks to you all.

My Avistar weight is 5 pound = 10 rubber bands. Not the 7 pounds my manual says.
So I stick to the 10 bands.
The LHS normally sells electric powered model planes, maybe that’s the reason why he gave me that answer

Look forward to have the very first flight Saturday with help from experienced club members [8D]

I can assure you that your Avistar ready to fly weighs considerably more than five pounds. you are asking for trouble my friend if you use any less that 12 #64's.

The number one killer of the very poor quality rubbers in most bands today is sunlight and even a couple of hours of exposure with the horrible stuff being used today and they will start popping. With the garbage sold today Do not reuse even once or you are asking for trouble.

Also a large chain type stationary store with a large turn over frequently has much better stock than the hobby shop packaged stuff such as Hobbico and is considerably fresher (relative freshness is of major importance here).

A majority of LHS's today are knowledgeble only in RC Cars and agine I would trust nothing this one had to say after recomending such a dangerous thing.

John
Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Lille-bror

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

I can assure you that your Avistar ready to fly weighs considerably more than five pounds. you are asking for trouble my friend if you use any less that 12 #64's.
Hello my friend [sm=regular_smile.gif]

My ready-to-fly weigh is 2,3 kilograms = 5,07 pound (without rubber bands and fuel)
Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
JohnBuckner

Thats empty weight not not ready to fly weight. Ten bands is not enough.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.