Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito 100 vs OS 120 four strokes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito 100 vs OS 120 four strokes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 100 vs OS 120 four strokes

I was at a swap meet and I can buy either of two engines from this guy who says they are supposedly new, just broken in, which I would be buying for a used Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe I'm picking up tomorrow
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJB7&P=0

The Saito 100 four stoke is $140 and the OS 120 four stroke is $150.

Which one would you go with? I'm just looking for opinions from people who have experience with either or both.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
alfredbmor

Default RE: Saito 100 vs OS 120 four strokes

The old Saito 120 is considerable more heavy than the saito 100, the saito 100 will move almost the same prop than the 120 but with a lot of weight less. My personal choice would be the 100.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The pump in the OS 1.20 would give me occasional trouble if I let the engine sit. The fix was to draw fuel through it with a syringe while cranking the engine.
If I were in the market for a 4 stroke, I would buy both of those engines and keep the one that works best for you.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished breaking in another Saito 100 A few hours ago, I love that little engine. I also have A couple of the OS 1.20 pumpers, you never stated if the OS was A pumped engine?? You brought up A good question though, I have never bothered comparing the two engines. The saito is lighter but the OS throws A bigger prop and has more toruqe. Don't know if it's enough to make A big difference though. I like my pumped engines just because they are easier to set up in A plane that has A problem with getting the fuel tank set up correctly. I like to put my tanks over the CG. Dang hard question?? If the OS is the OLD type of pumper with the metal pump don't even think about it, you can't get pump parts for it anymore.
Next person that tries to sell me an engine that isn't like new, just broken in, will be the first too!! Open and look before you buy, start and run too. No one ever sells A worn out engine that has just been cleaned.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:27 PM
opjose

The assumption everyone is making is that "new", means "the latest version or model" as well.

That is NOT necessarily the case.

Look at the asking price... 150 for either engine in it's latest interation is giving them away.

On-line auctions, etc. often have these "deals" on "new in box" or "fairly new in box" engines, but are usually talking about much OLDER versions...

e.g. Which Surpass is it?

I'll lay odds that it is NOT the O.S. Surpass III FS Pumped, or even non-pumped.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Gray Beard

No, I don't think anyone is making that assumption at all plus he has never said if the OS has A pump or not. The asking prices are also what I see at the fields all the time so nothing strange there either. The older YS 1.20 is going from 150 to 200 these days when you find them. The Saito 100 can't be all that old anyway. An old OS can jump up and bite you, that's why I mentioned the type of pump on the OS, IF it is A pumper. Buying an engine at A swap meet or on ebay is never A very good idea either. Put your money down and take your chances.
I still like the question, has anyone compared these two engines?? I run them both and have never bothered, I would like to hear some answers from people that really have. Two weeks ago I compared one of my OS 1.20s against my YS 1.20, one day I flew the plane with the OS and the next day the YS. Big surprise, the YS has A lot more tug but it was A good test.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Jester241

I would say those prices either mean the guy selling them is an idiot or he's lying about their usage. Those engines generally sell for around $200.....usually more for a good one. Even if they are used fairly well,their WELL worth the money.

With that said,I'll say I have a Saito 125 that I LOVE, and an O.S. 120 pumped. I could be wrong,but the O.S. although doesnt run as good,seems to be more powerful. The Saito is a super smooth running engine,but the O.S. is just a beast.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:25 PM
cappaj1

ORIGINAL: Jester241

I would say those prices either mean the guy selling them is an idiot or he's lying about their usage. Those engines generally sell for around $200.....usually more for a good one. Even if they are used fairly well,their WELL worth the money.

With that said,I'll say I have a Saito 125 that I LOVE, and an O.S. 120 pumped. I could be wrong,but the O.S. although doesnt run as good,seems to be more powerful. The Saito is a super smooth running engine,but the O.S. is just a beast.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's exaggerating. When he says they're new and that he's only broken them in, he could mean he broke them in by flying them for a season. I'll ask if he wouldn't mind running them before I buy one.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Jester241

Hey,as long as the "look" like they would run.......for that price I'd buy both of them and take my chances. I bought my mildly used O.S. 120 on ebay for 207 after watching what they sold for for awhile,and couldnt believe I got it for that. Like I said.....buy both of them! If they run and you dont like them,I garantee you can sell them on ebay for more. Heck I'd buy the O.S. off you for my new yak,lol.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Gray Beard

Jester, I have an OS 1.20 pumper I will sell you for $150.00 and it's hardly broken in.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would get the OS 1.20 it will pretty much fit in any model that the saito 100 will. The upside to the OS is that it is easy to setup and it more reliable than the saito, and it does not drink as much gas. The downside is that the OS is heavier. The saito is way lighter. My saito 100 runs ruff at idle and I have had a few dead sticks and not one on the OS. The saito also drinks gas like water. You really can not compare these two engines because they are different sizes....if I had the money I would get both like someone else said. If I was to sell my OS I would not sell it for $140 nor my OS for $150. Get both if you can if not I would go with the OS.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I would get the Saito 100. Properly tuned it will use a lot less fuel than the OS120 and the Saitos I use don't know how to dead stick. The 100 will only have a little less thrust than the 120 OS along with a lot less weight. Reliability is not an issue with either engine when properly tuned, good fuel and an OS F glow plug.
Fred
Old 08-31-2008, 01:23 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

The upside to the OS is that it is easy to setup and it more reliable than the saito, and it does not drink as much gas. The downside is that the OS is heavier. The saito is way lighter. My saito 100 runs ruff at idle and I have had a few dead sticks and not one on the OS. The saito also drinks gas like water.
Hmmm...

My Saitos ran rough until I switched to an APC prop for the first gallons of fuel. After that no problems at all. No deadsticks, etc. It was easier to tune than the O.S. 1.20 Surpass III much to my surprise... not that I dislike either...

If your Saito 1.00 is using MORE fuel than the larger O.S. 1.20, it's not properly tuned. Due to it's smaller size it sips fuel more slowly than the 1.20 about 1/2oz/min less at full throttle.

Saito's come purposely set overly rich from the factory. After a couple of runs you need to lean out the low end until the engine starts quiting on you then back off about 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

Given your deadsticks and report of the engine using a lot of fuel, it sounds like it's still too close to factory settings.

At $150.00 per engine for both, if even "just" broken in, I'd have already purchased them.

But "caveat emptor".

Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM
chashint

First off if the engine has been run it is not new, it amazes me how many times I see engines advertized as new and then you find out 'only bench run' or 'only broken-in' ...... a used engine is a used engine period.
Unless you personally know the seller to be honest and forthright you really have no idea how much either of these engines have been used.
You have to ask why anyone would simply "break-in" an engine and then put it back in the box.
First of all it depreciates the engine, if it is new in box it is worth what ever the current new price is at the time of sale.
Secondly "broken-in" engines do not store as well as brand new engines, how long have they been sitting in the box since they were run ?
Can you pop off the back plate to check for rust ?
There is one more thing to think about .... you are at a swap meet and these engines did not sell (since they are still available) if this really was the deal of the century both of them would have been gone in less than an hour.
Simply put you are taking the risk of getting a deal vs buying new.
Having said all that, I think the price is about right for either of these used engines assuming that they are in good working order without any know issues. You get a used engine at about 50% of current retail and the seller gets back about 1/2 of what he paid (assuming he bought them new).
Old 08-31-2008, 02:12 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: chashint

Having said all that, I think the price is about right for either of these used engines assuming that they are in good working order without any know issues. You get a used engine at about 50% of current retail and the seller gets back about 1/2 of what he paid (assuming he bought them new).
Exactly. At $150.00 each, if they are both relatively clean and not overly worn, but have been used for several seasons, they are still a good deal - IF - you can trust the seller.

All too often though someone may discover that they are having a problem with their engine, then elect to replace it and sell the old one as slightly used.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing in favor of the Saito, and this may be important for a used engine, is that spare parts are easily obtained through Horizon Hobby and the prices are not bad. My experience with buying OS parts through Tower is not as positive.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Gray Beard

I just rebuilt one of my OS 1.20s and I got the bearings from BOCA and had my LHS order the other parts I needed. Mine are pumpers and what I did discover is the only part for the regulator you can buy is the cover?? That was odd and upsetting to me, if I sent it to them they would either replace the parts needed or sell me A complete carb with A new regulator?? Not only odd but how mad was I ?? The pump itself was always A complete replacement part. At over 400 bucks these engines are worth rebuilding though, unless they have been hurt bad in A crash, run lean or just completely worn out then dumped into A crock pot with AF over night so they look good.
Still hasn't said what model OS it is???[:-]
Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an OS guy but have one saito .65 and I bought it from a friend, have never had to touch the needle yet! I suspect it runs a tad rich, but I only put about 4 oz in the tank anyway, I always deadstick it in, its my favorite way to land....just my .02 its my biggest engine also,,my next is the OS .46 both are on sticks, the saito on a Hangar 9 and the OS on a Great Planes...Rog