Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Alpha 40 is on it's way!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Alpha 40 is on it's way!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:52 AM
HampdenTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 40 is on it's way!

After much deliberation (kit build, ARF or RTF) I finally decided on the new Alpha 40 RTF from Hangar 9. I had originally considered building an LT40 from a kit but I wanted to get in the air this fall with a new instructor. I also looked at the Tower Hobbies Trainer (ARF and RTF) but all in all I thought the Alpha 40 was the best deal. The Alpha 40 comes with the Spektrum DX5e TX. I already have a DX6i so I'll use the DX5e as the slave in a trainer system.

Horizon Hobby finally got them in so I placed the order yesterday. Now I just have to pickup the field equipment.

I have flown for a little over a year now, but on a 3-channel Easy Star and recently on a 4-channel Electric Stick which I built from a kit (flies very nice by the way) so I guess some of you may suggest that I've yet to fly!

I'll try to post some pictures out of the box when it gets here. Thanks to all who who have posted suggestions and encouragement.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:06 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Alpha 40 is on it's way!

ORIGINAL: HampdenTech

I have flown for a little over a year now, but on a 3-channel Easy Star and recently on a 4-channel Electric Stick which I built from a kit (flies very nice by the way) so I guess some of you may suggest that I've yet to fly!
Do the planes you've been flying have landing gear, and if they do, can they take off from the ground? If you can already do takeoffs and landings with these planes you should solo with the Alpha very quickly.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 AM
HampdenTech

ORIGINAL: carrellh

ORIGINAL: HampdenTech

Do the planes you've been flying have landing gear, and if they do, can they take off from the ground? If you can already do takeoffs and landings with these planes you should solo with the Alpha very quickly.
Yes, the Electric Stick (attached) does have landing gear. I can do an ROG and on the last landing, I stuck it pretty good but it was on a Baseball infield. It tends to want to nose over on grass runways, but the landing gear is only 1-1/2". I have also been using RealFlight G3.5 for about a year and I constantly practice touch-and-go landings. I know it's not the same as flying for real, but I've been concentrating on using rudder to control yaw instead of ailerons. I judge my landings in RealFlight on whether or not I bounce the landing gear on the NextStar. If it touches down smooth with no bounce then I consider it a good landing.

By the way, where abouts are you in Texas (in relation to Dallas, FT. Worth area). My company has picked up a couple of new clients in that area (Ennis and Waxahachie) and we're making a large marketing effort in Texas. I may have to make a business trip out there next year (and of course I'll have to bring a plane)!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62267.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1022833  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 AM
carrellh

If you can take off and land the Stick, with those tiny wheels, I'm pretty sure your instructor will be able to 'cut the cord' very quickly. Even after you are soloed, you can often get help from the instructors when you're ready to try new things. We've had a few competitive flyers in our club and they all volunteered to be instructors. They all have liked it when any pilot asked them to show them how to do something and they'll stand right there to coach them through it.

Garland is northeast of downtown Dallas. My brother and I are members of http://greenvillerc.com and the flying field is about 45 miles east of Dallas. It's a long drive but we really like all of the club members and have a great time. We flew yesterday and were surprised to have the field totally to ourselves. There was a direct crosswind blowing in our face but it was 5 to 10 mph and sometimes totally calm.

There is a club in Rowlett, probably 8 miles from my house. The flying area is too small for me to feel comfortable. A lot of people have no issues at all but I tend to keep my planes pretty far away until it's time to land.

The drag strip near Ennis is about an hour from my house. One zip code for Ennis is 75119. I put that in the AMA club search and it shows clubs in Waxahachie and Corsicana. If your business will keep you on the South side of the area, they might be easiest to visit.

75201 is a zip code in Downtown Dallas. There are 25 clubs within a 50 mile radius. Some of the distance info is misleading. Richardson RC Club is listed at 17.48 miles from downtown. That is the distance to their PO Box in Plano. The flying site is about 35 miles from downtown Dallas. So, be sure to click 'flying site details' for any club to find the real location.

If you head east, we have a few guys who fly during the week but our most common flying time is Saturday afternoon.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second carrellh, I shouldn't take you long to get soloed. The hardest thing you'll find is dealing with the weight, speed , handling (not as responsive as your EP's) and the fact the Alpha will fly a lot further out than you're used to flying. Once you get past those you'll really enjoy the plane.

Watch the balance on the Alpha, if it doesn't want to flair on landing, don't be afraid to add some lead to the tail - it won't notice the extra weight. Since you'll use your DX6ii as the master, work with your instructor to set up dual rates - the Alpha is quite aerobatic with the rates kicked up to twice the factory recommended throws.

Hogflyer