Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need Good Rudder Servo Advice...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need Good Rudder Servo Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Jester241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Good Rudder Servo Advice...

I'm just finishing rebuilding a Goldberg 77" Yak 54 my buddy crashed and gave me. The rudder on this thing is HUGE even for such a large plane. I know my buddy had some trouble getting the rudder to stop "fluttering". I guess it was more the tension on the piano wires on the pull-pull system. Regardless....this think requires a strong servo to controll its massive rudder. Could any of you guys suggest a good specific servo for me? I'm a futaba guy too,so I'd like to stick with futaba and I am on a tight budget so I need a good servo,but nothing overkill. I play around at 3D,but I'm no professional,so I dont need it to be perfect. I just dont want to kill the servo. So again,can anyone recommend a good futaba servo? There's so many,I dont know what to get.

The planes either going to have a GMS 1.20 in it,or an O.S. 1.60 if the 1.20 wont fly it.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Need Good Rudder Servo Advice...

Hitec 5625 or 5645 metal gear digital is perfect for this application.
futaba and JR are expensive in this range.
I would also reccomend metal gear digitals on all the control surfaces
at least 120+ oz in. If you are planning to do 3D

I had a 7lb Yak with a 1.20 and it was perfect for that size plane.
you might want to go with a 1.60 if you are planning to 3D and want
unlimited vertical performance.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Jester241

I like those choices.....thanks. Yeah,I know the 1.60 is the better choice and thats what the plane had in it and it flew great. Problem is I dont have the money for a 1.60,and I have this used GMS 1.20 just sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I dont need unlimited vertical yet,but I do what the plane to fly safely without being too underpowered. I plan to mount this 1.20 in it and see how it reacts taxing and stuff and then have our club instructor take it up to see if it will take off ok. The plane will pretty much be just for flying around looking good.

I have an O.S. 120 4-stroke too I though about putting in it.......will gladly take opinions on putting this motor in it instead of the 1.20 2-stroke too.

And the plane has duel servo's in each wing,so I can get away with lighter servos there,plus I wont be using high rates really.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
rabraaten

Just a newbie here and would like someone to chime in with some information about this... I've seen some bigger models with two or even three rudder servos mounted in front of eachother and tied together, with a pull-pull on the end. Is this a way to get more torque, more control, more stability out of the servos without spending mucho deneiros for a huge-mongous rudder servo?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your radio and RX don't know who made the servos!! Look at the JR 8411s, I bought out servo City some years ago when they had A close out on Hitec 6985s. Just get the best you can afford but look around for sales. I got those HTs for next to nothing when the new models were commng out. A shame, I just traded away 4 of the 8411s last week. 77 is correct, you want as much servo power as you can get with that little plane.
I have A nice brison 2.4 that will fly that plane very well!!!