Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Little Help From Someone?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Little Help From Someone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
mockshizzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Help From Someone?

First off I'd like to say hey, new to the forum

Second I'd like to apoligize if this is in the wrong section of the forum (remember Im new so I haven't had the chance to look around). If it is in the wrong section please just move it for me

Ok heres the scoop. I got a Nexstar Select beginning of the summer and I can fly it pretty decently now (except this one time where the aileron switch on my radio got reversed prior to take off lol). I'm looking for someone to come fly with me at a sod field just down the road from me in Angus, Ontario just outside Barrie. I'm 17 years old and no one I know is in the hobby. Basically I'm lookin for osmeone to come give me some pointers or give me some contact info to someone who can.

Last week I picked up a Typhoon 2 3D that I'd love to get some pointers on too

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
smokeyser

Default RE: Little Help From Someone?

Check out http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/ont...ane-clubs.html for clubs in ontario. And google can probably help you find more if you just do a search for ontario rc clubs. There's a good chance that someone has already formed an rc club near you where you can go fly with lots of experienced pilots.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
mockshizzy

Hey, thanks for hte quick reply. I know theres some clubs near me but the cheapest (with insurance) is going to run me 150 dollars like I said im 17. Part time job, just got a car, insurance isnt exactly cheap and nor is gas, plus im saving for a graduation trip and schooling. I really want to get into this hobby but I'm finding it very hard money-wise. I'm basically looking for someone to take some time to come help me for free or cheap. hard to find someone though I'm finding out. Everyone wants an arm and a leg from me.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a Canadian forum on RCU try

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_350/tt.htm

You might link up with someone there.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
mockshizzy

Thanks I'll try for sure.

After doing a little research though this might not be as expensive as i thought.

MAAC membership for someone under the age of 18 is $10 and as of tommorow I'm eligable for 50% off that so $5 lol and the local field is $125 but a junior membership is only $12.50 :O just gotta find out what a Junior is considered to be! I think I can afford $17.50!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 PM
smokeyser

Depending on how strict they are, some clubs might be willing to stretch that junior age limit for a student too. It's definitely worth a try. Hanging out in a place where everyone flies is a lot of fun! Besides the help from instructors with flying, it's great to just kick back and watch others fly sometimes too. Good luck with that new typhoon!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Not to be a wet blanket here, but if joining the club in order to have insurance is a problem, then you might consider waiting until your finances are better before starting in the hobby. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone, but doing RC airplanes on the cheap just doesn't work. You might consider a simple park flyer for now, and then decide if moving up to regular RC planes is an investment you want to make in a couple of years.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 AM
mikenlapaz

Not to dispair, Send me the funds for round trip airfare and I'll come and visit. I do not eat much and could only stay till the snow flys. Never been to Ontario....looking forward to the trip.

Good luck on your quest.