Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ever afraid to start an ARF in fear of screwing it up?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ever afraid to start an ARF in fear of screwing it up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 AM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ever afraid to start an ARF in fear of screwing it up?

Im in this dillema now. Im afraid to start my minnow in fear of jacking it up. Im a perfectionist with these types of things and get real annoyed when things dont go as I planned. Anyone else have this syndrome?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever afraid to start an ARF in fear of screwing it up?

Over an ARF?? []
Maybe you should consider professional help, since 95% of the work has already been performed on an ARF. Mellow out dude! Build it and fly!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Spitfire222

Fortunately, I dont. Just follow the manual and take your time and it will turn out fine. If you are an extreme perfectionist, this may not be the right hobby for you, as these things are rarely, if ever, perfect. And even if they are, they usually dont stay that way long.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ErikElvis

Im in this dillema now. Im afraid to start my minnow in fear of jacking it up. Im a perfectionist with these types of things and get real annoyed when things dont go as I planned. Anyone else have this syndrome?
I think its called anal,,kidding but spitfire may be right, this might not be your thing, there ae people in the hobby that just like to build and not fly, but once you have all the gear, planes arent really all that expensive.........Rog
Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 AM
ErikElvis

Well I love to fly but really hate the building part. And I am mechanical, I have a 2002 Camaro SS on stands awaiting the tranny rebuild, new rearend, clutch and driveshaft all to be done by me. Only thing that slows me down with it is the craps heavy. And doing it all yourself can wear you out.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Spacemonkey71

I can definitely sympathize about rebuilding your car! even on a 4cyl, pulling a tranny is HEAVY!!!!!

I know what you're going through. I call it a "paralitic pre-emptive fear of failure". You just have to psych yourself up, tell yourself you're going to do it the best you can, and GO FOR IT! If you already HAVE the plane and it's not doing anything FUN IN THE BOX!!!! just take a few deep breaths, and force yourself to start at step 1. Or back up and start at Step 0 = buy a book on airplane modelling (there are a couple of dozen out there and your LHS can recommend a good one for you). There might be a few tricks and tips on how to get that "perfect" fit you're looking for.

It sounds like you're really good with your hands, so TRUST THEM (and use 30 minute epoxy whenever you can, that way there's PLENTY of time to re-align/fix/trim stuff before the glue sets!). If this is your FIRST build, just tell yourself, "this is my first build and all this is new to me so it may not be perfect THIS TIME, but the NEXT ONE WILL BE!" My father-in-law builds 18" model balsa planes so good they should be in a museum and his first build was WAY OFF PERFECT!!!! But he kept at it and LEARNED! (in fact his "Spirit of St.Louis" 22" size hangs above my son's crib )

I'm SURE it's going to come out a beauty! It really sounds like you need to be building ultra-complex "scale" planes b/c of your eye for detail!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:17 AM
bkdavy

If you're having trouble with an ARF, stay away from KITS! My kit builds always begin with reading the directions through several times, getting a picture in my head of exactly what each step entails, then separating and labelling parts. It usually takes a couple weeks before I make my first glue joint.

Seriously, just put the plane together, then find an instructor to help you fly it. Maiden flights are the most likely time for a plane to crash, so don't be afraid to ask for help. That's probably a lot of what's fueling your fear. You will eventually get to the point where you're not afraid to fly your newest plane. If you don't, you'll end up with a bunch of hanger queens.

Brad
Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Witterings

Think spacemonkey hit the nail on the head, I hate the build side as well and my 1st few came out quite crooked, the 4 things I've learnt and my build quality is much better now.

1/. Take your time, it's not a race !!!!

2/. Check and align everthing before adding glue !!!

3/. Wherever possible use slightly longer drying time glue ie 15 / 30 min epoxy, I've a few slightly out of line stabilisers and horizontal stabilisers not quite in the right place from using CA.

4/. Not too much of the Amber Nectar, it's too easy to say oh well that'll do and often in the morning you realise it won't and you had the instructions upside down at the time !!!!!!

I still don't enjoy it mainly because I struggle to find the time which is frustrating and would prefer to fly instead but at least I know I'm getting better at it and learn something new with every one I do which in turn helps for the next one.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
goirish

I on the other hand enjoy the building as much as the flying. Don't be afraid to ask for some help if it is something that you don't understand. Like the old saying "measure twice, cut once". Nothing like the joy of seeing something that you built, fly. The picture on my left is a scratch built DeHavilland Beaver. Love it.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Witterings

Actually goirish I forgot about that one, the number of times I haven't known how to do something and have posted in a forum and the amout of help have received has been fantastic !!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 AM
kid chuckles

Get a good alum. floor jack (light and manuverable) place a board that will cover the trans. pan and a buddy to steady it and there you go. A turbo 350 or 400 is no problem but your car has to be up enough so when you let it down it will come out from under car. Same with rear end. Then go fly something such as your minnow and when you get back start again. IF you crash it this will take it off your mind lol.
Same here though built this and scared to put it on the road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35295.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1026535  
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
bruce88123

Well I love to fly but really hate the building part. And I am mechanical, I have a 2002 Camaro SS on stands awaiting the tranny rebuild, new rearend, clutch and driveshaft all to be done by me. Only thing that slows me down with it is the craps heavy. And doing it all yourself can wear you out.
I was pulling cars apart every weekend (and re-assembling them) when I was younger. 55 Chevies, Vettes, Hemi Dodges (Mopar 4-speeds ain't light), it didn't matter. Quit being a wimp if you ever want to drive the car.[:@] Then again, if you are getting too old for that crap it could be a different matter.[]
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what you're after here. An ARF is hardly a build, it is only an assembly of somebody else's poor work and it is destined to set you off if you're a perfectionist... [:@]

Then it is much better to build from a drawing (not a Kit) and simply make corrections as you go along in a steady pace...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

I was pulling cars apart every weekend (and re-assembling them) when I was younger. 55 Chevies, Vettes, Hemi Dodges (Mopar 4-speeds ain't light), it didn't matter. Quit being a wimp if you ever want to drive the car.[:@] Then again, if you are getting too old for that crap it could be a different matter.[]
Bruce,
They had cars when you were younger???? [:@]

Just kidding of course.

But on the subject of this thread. You can't be afraid of putting your plane together. If you are this will affect the way you fly that plane, meaning you will ALWAYS be afraid of it when it's in the air. I can totally understand that it can be intimidating to assemble a plane the first time. But, you have a Great Planes product and I can assure you that their instruction manuals are second to none. They do a great job of getting you through the assembly. If you still have questions we are always here to help. And as a last resort, see if somebody at your club will help you do the assembly. Not do it for you, but rather be with you to watch what you do. Most ARF's are pretty easy to put together is you take it slow and double check everything you do. Just pay attention and you won't have any problems.

Ken
Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Bruce,

Just kidding of course.

But on the subject of this thread. You can't be afraid of putting your plane together. If you are this will affect the way you fly that plane, meaning you will ALWAYS be afraid of it when it's in the air. I can totally understand that it can be intimidating to assemble a plane the first time. But, you have a Great Planes product and I can assure you that their instruction manuals are second to none. They do a great job of getting you through the assembly. If you still have questions we are always here to help. And as a last resort, see if somebody at your club will help you do the assembly. Not do it for you, but rather be with you to watch what you do. Most ARF's are pretty easy to put together is you take it slow and double check everything you do. Just pay attention and you won't have any problems.

Ken
Yes, they had cars when I was younger. I was younger yesterday and there were cars yesterday weren't there?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
ErikElvis

Haha well thanks guys. I have a sundowner 50 near complete but screwed up a couple parts. Im gonna get that flying and start on the minnow.[X(] Oh and I already "benched" the T-56 out from my car. Had to bring it down on my chest and push my way out from under it. Same with the rear end. dropped it with a jack then had to pick it up to put it on the other side of the garage. So the cars gettin there...
Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to get good at anything is to jump in and do it over and over.

Just think each step through before actually doing it and things will go just fine. Also if you run into a problem and get frustrated or angry you will likely make matters worse. When that happens, take a break for the evening. It's amazing how much easier things will be the next day.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: RCKen
Bruce,
Just kidding of course.
Ken
That's cold Ken, funny, but cold
Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 PM
propbuster

Seriously, If you're skittish about assembling an ARF then this might not the thing for you! Try spending weeks scratch building a beautiful plane from just plans then have it destroyed on a bad landing or from "Dumb Thumbs" Really though, it's just a model airplane!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: propbuster

Seriously, If you're skittish about assembling an ARF then this might not the thing for you! Try spending weeks scratch building a beautiful plane from just plans then have it destroyed on a bad landing or from "Dumb Thumbs" Really though, it's just a model airplane!
LOL! ARF's take me weeks or months. Kits can take months or years!! I once built a 15' plywood "tack-n-tape" bateau (flat sided canoe) that was supposed to "go together in one weekend" according to the plans. Took me six months and, when done, the designer did not recognize it as his own design! 'Corse, I did "tweak" her here and there. Added a rudder, sail, leeboard, etc.

I will be a bit nervous when taking any model up the first time, but there is no real hesitation unless it's very windy (over 15 mph & crossing). They're built to fly, and a model that doesn't get to fly is like a pretty girl that never got kissed.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 AM
WMB

I know what you mean. 1st arf was GP Venus, the tank is too high for the suggested inverted engine. Wrinkles in the covering that wouldn't shrink regardless of heat. That one wasn't bad. Flew great, dumb thumbed it in.

2nd arf a no name pattern/3d conglomeration. If the tail servos were mounted in the suggested spot, the wing would have had servos poking through part of the wing. Covering not too bad, trim falling off everywhere. Flew OK, not what I wanted.

3rd arf should be ready to maiden shortly. This one went together pretty good.

I've got a couple kits to finish. Wouldn't mind getting the Revolver, looks like a good one.

Build it and fly it. Have fun!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

CRAFTSMANSHIP!
I think you should embrace your perfectionism but remember perfection is not truley obtainable. Each airplane will just get a little bit better and each is just a learning experience. Picky is good sometimes!