Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with G4 sim

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Disappointed with G4 sim

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed with G4 sim

I got the sim today and got bored of it fairly quickly. Im pretty sure Im going to return it and get my money back. I can think of alot of other things to invest my money in, like the Spektrum DX7 radio. While it does seem like a good tool to practice orientation, there isn't any real fun in it. And the plane is easily lost once you fly like what seems to be not that far away. Maybe you guys had better luck with it, but its going back in the mail.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed with G4 sim

Have you tried modifying the view, (you can change it so the plane stays in view longer), or altering the cg on the plane, or try different props? Try varying the wind, also. You probably will find that software is almost never returnable once opened.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
porsche_technic
My Feedback: (20)

we got ours today , and the seal on end of box said once opened it cannot be returned to place of purchase , like he said make a cple changes and good to go.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Jester241

I second the G4 dissapointment. I'm not saying it isnt the best sim out there,but I dont think its any better then the other G2's or G3's I've played with at the hobby shop. I only used FMS heavily and tinkered with G3.5 before purchased G4. I kinda just got it because of the float planes,but if I could do it over again I would have just spent $100 on a used G3.5 version instead of $200 for G4. It does get boring quick,but does serve its purpose of keeping your flying skills up to par over winter and stuff which is really why I have sim. This is also why I dont sell it. The radio isnt quite the same as my 6EX either,so I cant even say I like it better for the newer radio it comes with. And as beachman said......flying in it sucks because your plane dissappears from view way too quickly. Also landing are not realistic at because when your plane looks like its coming in nicely,its actually far away yet. So it always seems like the plane is either RIGHT on top of you,or too far away from you.......gets irratating after awhile. Plus,even with wind gusts all the way up,it doesnt seem like it does much. I just wish you could set it up to be more realistic as far as wind gusts and plane glitchiness. All the plane fly perfect all the time,but thats not the way they fly in real life.

But with all the stuff said.....its a good sim and serves it purpose just fine. Its just not any better then the older sims that you can purchase for half the price. The only advantage G4 has is that it have a couple float planes,but after 10 min of flying them your bored and realize they werent worth paying twice as much for.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
beachbrada

I just checked and it does say you can't return it once opened. Damn!!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:06 AM
opjose

Most of the things stated above can be adjusted, tweaked, etc., e.g. the views, more so than any other sim on the market.

It's a pretty "deep" simulation once you get into it, and neither 10 minutes nor several weeks are enough to learn all that is there.

Once you start practising maneouvers that would destroy your real plane while learning ( e.g. canopy out hovering, torque rolls etc. ) the sim gets to be very "interesting" though it is never a substitute for being out at the field.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:57 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone sees things differently.

It sounds like any sim would have been boring. Unless of course, it did something to entertain.

BTW, there are a number of "fun fly" fields within the large number of flying sites on that particular sim. And they have hoops and such to fly through and around. Not the least bit realistic, but certainly not boring at all. So I would guess you didn't actually see enough of the sim to notice the additional arcade content.

Don't feel like you're stuck with it now. Because now you have time to actually look around in it and find the arcade stuff. You might like the night flying. The lights on the model make quite pretty and entertaining pictures on the evening sky. And there actually is an Arcade flying field complete with lighted Ferris Wheels and such. Very "out of the ordinary" compared to simply trying out more than a hundered different models.

I'm sure if you took a bit of time to discover what is actually included, you would be surprised how much entertainment is in that application. And of course, learning new model maneuvers can be entertaining. It certainly is to a lot of people.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is an R/C simulator after all. Perhaps you may find actual flying boring as well. Many new pilots find it difficult to keep their real R/C planes in close and the instructor has to bring them back in for the student as well. Most of the time it is due to the speed which the pilot is flying and the student forgeting that the throttle is variable as oposed to being an "on/off" switch. Just out of curiosity, which plane(s) did you try to fly? If you chose one of the jets then perhaps you were not quite ready for that kind of speed.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:10 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I rather enjoy my simulator. I can try all kinds of new things as far as flight manuvers go and if I wreck, just hit the space bar and a brand new plane appears. You really need to get the instruction manual out and discover what you can do with it before giving up on it. Good luck, Dave
Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 PM
beachbrada

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

It is an R/C simulator after all. Perhaps you may find actual flying boring as well. Many new pilots find it difficult to keep their real R/C planes in close and the instructor has to bring them back in for the student as well. Most of the time it is due to the speed which the pilot is flying and the student forgeting that the throttle is variable as oposed to being an "on/off" switch. Just out of curiosity, which plane(s) did you try to fly? If you chose one of the jets then perhaps you were not quite ready for that kind of speed.
I find flying to be a blast, I love the atmosphere of a club where you can fly and then relax and have conversations with others. Maybe I judged it too quickly and need to mess with the settings to suit myself. I liked the extra out of all of the planes so far, but I have not yet downloaded the add-ons. Im going to do that now.