Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Elevator Question?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Elevator Question?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 AM
dinointexas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevator Question?

Hi, I’m building a TF GS P-47 and I’m on the ELEV. I am thinking of stiffening up the TE with a piece of G-10 sanwiched between the TE skins, I’m thinking it would give me a nice clean razor sharp edge plus give me more strengh. What do ya’ll think?
forgot to mention I'm a guy who knocked the rudder off my Trainer when i first started, I'm a Hanger Rash kinda guy! LOL
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Default RE: Elevator Question?

The big knock with the Top Flite Gold Edition kits is the weight. Adding weight to the rear of the plane will most likely mean adding weight to the front end to balance the plane. The golden rule is one ounce on the rear equals 4 ounces on the nose. Just build it as per plans, you will be just fine. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Mr67Stang

I try to save weight whenever possible. The weight you would be adding could be measured in grams as opposed to ounces so I guess you should build your plane to survive you. Now when your sanding this to shape you will have to be carefull as the light and relitively soft sheeting will sand away much quicker than your hardwood. Wont be a problem if you use a sanding block. Of course the other option is to just be careful with it
Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 AM
da Rock

A couple of suggestions..........

You don't really need a razor sharp TE. However, if you want one, the G-10 idea is good and bad. It's good because the reinforcing will make the TE less apt to be ruined banging it into doors. It's bad because the extra weight increases the chance of flutter and the whole airplane banging into the ground. Any kind of rigid reinforcement works to protect. Any addition of weight hurts. Consider a lightweight strip of glass cloth that you glue in. With thinned epoxy or CA as the bonding agent, it can do what you want. You can make simple test pieces with scrap to find out what the weight penalties will be on the scale. You'll have to guess at the risk in the air.

A very popular and effective technique for a decently maintainable TE is simple. It's also decent aerodynamically. Thin but not too much. Bring the taper down to 1/16" and square it off. The blunt shape won't hurt and helps create a maintainable TE. You do want to taper surfaces when you can as removing the mass has a proven good effect on flutter. And the uniform shape has a proven good effect as well.

Using G-10 is a structural material is an interesting idea. It ought to work in places where there are bulkheads and such, where there is already some weight in the design. But unless it's very light, it probably shouldn't be where it'd help flutter start.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

The key to any reinforcement is to keep it light. As previously mentioned, the tail is the worst place for added weight because of how much is needed up front to balance what was added in the tail. Build the plane to survive flight loads and not much more and it will fly much better. I’ve seen planes that were “improved” to the point they were flying garbage trucks.

On the sharp trailing edge, I’m not sure that is a good idea. There is some evidence that points to thick trailing edges (TEs) being better than thin TEs in that the plane tracks better (less wandering around the trim point.)

As to the material, I’ve never used specifically G-10, but I’ve used phenolics before in planes for structure. The main downside is phenolics are very heavy, so application has been limited to servo mounting plates, breakaway LG plates, nose rings, etc. where the part is small and very high strength is needed, i.e. I use it as a cheap replacement for carbon plate on planes that don’t deserve the carbon.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Minnreefer

I appoligize about my ignorance, but what is G-10?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
bruce88123

G-10 : http://www.jjorly.com/g10_fr4_sheets_fabricator.htm This will give you the general idea.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 AM
dinointexas

thatnks for all ya'lls input, i think squaring off the edge and then glassing it will be my better choice. This is why i love this forum, there's a ton of great info here. Thanks again guys,
DINO
Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
TedMo

I just don't know what your big concern is regarding the trailing edge of elevator? do you use it to dig holes?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:09 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: TedMo

I just don't know what your big concern is regarding the trailing edge of elevator? do you use it to dig holes?

No, but I've tried to keep the trunk of my car from closing with one of mine. And tried to move the picnic table at the flying field with another. Never thought to use 'em to dig holes, but I'll give that a try when the opportunity arises.